“Great for lunch if you are not in a hurry” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
London, United Kingdom
“Great for lunch if you are not in a hurry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This very centrally placed hotel has a good restaurant. We had an excellent pate to start with followed by seared salmon that was cooked to perfection. However rather than attending to the needs of the customers the staff seemed intent on window gazing. Nevertheless a good place for a very" leisurely "lunch'

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear david382,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you found the quality of food to be of a very good standard but please accept my apologies that our service was not up to its usual standard. Please be assured I will follow this up with the relevant members of the team. I hope we can welcome you for lunch again in the near future.

David Hayden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in Windsor on business for 8 nights, and stayed at this hotel (15-Jun-2013 -> 23-Jun-2013).

After I made my reservation I contacted David Hayden the general manager and advised him that i was going to have a much longer stay than most folks. He gave me a room overlooking high street which was just awesome. I could literally watch the guards marching up the street right out my window.

The building is old but neat it has a lot of character. The buffet breakfast in the morning (included) is perfect.

The only room for improvement would be to speed up the free wifi.

I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the front part. People here complained about aircraft from heathrow -- wasn't an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chas D
Dear Chas D,

Thank you for your recent review and positive comments. I am delighted you had a good stay with us and hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

With effect from the week commencing the 10th June the hotel is introducing car park charges for residents. The charge applicable to all guests bringing a car with them is £10 per day which is still the best value parking available in Windsor.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My first review of anywhere as it has been a delightful experience! From the moment we parked we were spoiled! Superb dining evening and breakfast. Nothing is too much for the friendly, hard working staff. As an ex chambermaid, I know every trick of the trade- but our room was immaculate! With check out at midday we had plenty of relaxation and time to plan our day. Added bonus upon check out was the continued free car parking for the remainder of the day leaving us plenty of time to enjoy and explore the local attractions!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Hayley82uk,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and feedback about your experience which I will be delighted to share with the team. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was here for one night with business colleagues. The staff were very friendly and helpful with a relatively quick check in/out. Service at the bar was very good. Breakfast service and food quality was also very good. The location is central with parking.
My main disappointment was the rooms. When I arrived at my first room the door was not locked properly and it appeared that someone had been sleeping in one of the beds (room 530)! Naturally I asked to be moved and I was to a much bigger suite (room 536) which was fine because the bed was comfortable and the bathroom had both a bath and a shower. However this room was in need of some attention e.g., the carpets looked very old, worn and in need of replacing, the shower base and tiles looked 'grotty' - If I had paid for this larger room then I would not have been happy. Plus the hairdryer smelled of burning and made a loud noise when I tried it in the morning, this left me having to go to reception (because they didn't answer the phone) with wet hair to try to get another hair dryer. The only option was to use yet another room (502). This last room, although small, was the best of the 3 I saw as it obviously had been refurbished, nice carpet, new hairdryer etc.
A few of my colleagues mentioned that their rooms were very small. It is an old building so I guess you might expect 'quirky' room sizes. Also there was no lift so you would have to wait for a porter to carry your bags if you weren't able or willing to take them to your room yourself.
My experience with the first room made me question the security and trust of the staff, although the people I met seemed friendly and offered a good service it is just not right that some mysterious person had access to my room to take an unauthorised sleep!
Even though this was a business expensed trip, which we take very often, the price seemed expensive for the quality of the rooms offered.
All in all it was ok but it felt like a 3 star hotel not the 4 star it advertises on its website.

Room Tip: Room 502 was small but well appointed and very close to reception.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Rachel O.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us. We do have rooms of varying size due to the age and design of the hotel. I will personally investigate futher your comment in relation to your room being occupied as security is something we view as paramount at the hotel. Unlike some hotels we do not self accredit ourselves as being a 4 star hotel this is something we receive from an external provider the AA who carry out rigourous and independant auditing of the hotel before awarding us any level of stars.

Once again thank you for your comments, I value any feedback received as it enables us to assess how we are performing and also what further actions we need to take to ensure our guests are completely satisified with our product and service. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Solihull, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Location is what this hotel is all about.It is opposite the castle, close to shops pubs and a variety of restaurants plus railway station. Eaton is a short walk over the bridge which crosses the Thames. The hotel supplies a good breakfast buffet style and friendly efficient staff. If you use the bar beware of very expensive drinks a bacardi and coke plus whisky and lemonade £16. An excellent plus is free car parking supervised by efficient attendants.In fact all parts are well run except the housekeeping. On arrival at 1600hrs our room was not made.the following day our refreshments and bathroon toiletries were not replenished and on the final day (check out 1200hrs) our swipe key was cancelled at 0930hrs. Although this is not holiday spoiling when you pay top dollar you expect the little things to make the difference. Hotel is clean but starting to look tired

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Farthings,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments and please accept my apologies for the shortcomings experienced with the housekeeping team. Please be assured I will follow up your comments with the team and ensure that the relevant action and retraining is undertaken.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Castle Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in the world. There is no better view of High Street, the changing of the guard, or Windsor Castle itself. Words can not describe how exciting it is to look out the window towards the castle and be close enough to see whether Her Majesty is in residence or not. The hotel is also near the Long Walk. The breakfast is bountiful and pretty good, but the High Tea is the best in all of England! I would highly recommend having tea whether you choose to stay in the hotel or not. The hotel is a perfect blend of moderness and quaintness, but they have one glaring shortcoming: the toilets! They simply do not always evacuate and if someone has recently taken a shower, good luck! Still, all in all, this hotel was loved by my family so much that I wouldn't even look at another hotel if I went back to Windsor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom P
Dear Tom P,

Thank you for your recent review and positive comments about your experience here at the hotel. Please be assured I will further investigate your comments in relation to the toilet in the bedroom and ensure a solution is put in place for this. I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Castle hotel in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very good staff, great location, parking good, fab breakfast. Our room was a little tired and the air conditioning and TV were not great.

Main issue was than my Mother struggles with stairs and we were on the first floor of the annex which is only assessable by stairs. The main hotel does have a wheelchair friendly loo, but I had to ask for the revolving main doors to be fully opened so we could get out.

The Bar Manager was a hoot, great product knowledge.

Would prefer twin beds to be a little further apart.

Room Tip: The annex is quiet and has a link bridge to the main hotel, but it has no lift and the room we had 4...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear julie h,

Thank you for your recent review and positive comments about the team and our location. I will investigate further if there is anything else we can do in becoming more accessible as many of the areas of the hotel are listed and as such cannnot be changed. I hope we can still welcome you back to the hotel in the future.