“Not the best 4* but, if location matters, it will meet your demands”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mercure in Windsor during Valentine's weekend. We found the location to be perfect; Windsor Castle was literally just across the road and there were a range of options for dining within walking distance. Staff on the reception desk were also polite. If you're concerned about Windsor's notorious parking, don't be. It's free for guests. This influenced my decision when comparing to the Macdonald Hotel, which I hear charges £25.

However, for the price of £125 for a single night (which didn't even include breakfast), I felt that the hotel did not live up to the standard I would have expected. The room was average for a 4* hotel: shower pressure was below par, the air con emitted a constant loud hum resembling a boiling kettle and the walls were paper thin to the extent that I could hear the voices of the people in the neighbouring room. Unfortunately, (and I don't blame Mercure for this) we had a couple of drunken Neanderthals next door who seemed to be doing everything in their power to keep me awake! They were so loud that I had to call reception to complain - I'm not sure if they did anything about it though.

Overall, not the best 4* I've come across but, if location matters, it will meet your demands.

1  Thank Jamie S
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Jamie S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the elements of your stay that you were disappointed with and please be assured we will discuss this as a team and address any of the points concerned. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

David Hayden

Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I were treated to an all-paid Valentine's Day DB&B stay by her son as a Christmas gift. We were delighted to discover that the staff were welcoming, polite, helpful and efficient and that our room was near the lift on Floor One. Couldn't hear it from inside the room though, which was good.
A disabled parking space was very near reception and on departure day we were given an exit card to use when we were ready, which was after a stroll round the superb pedestrianised shopping centre just a few yards/metres away, with every brand imaginable and others.
Had we needed it there was also a railway station in the shopping area.
Very good en-suite double bedroom with plenty of storage, a mini-fridge and tea/coffee. Very good bath & shower.
Evening meal was full of flavour - not a budget meal because we were on a "deal".
Staff again were so good - discreet but attentive and we were made to feel like patrons, not just covers. Very good wine selection as well - we picked a modest Malbec for our rib-eye steaks and it worked well.
Breakfast on Friday was another eye- and mouth-watering treat. Cold buffet laid out beautifully in one area, including meats and cheeses for European guests, the freshest, tastiest pastries and croissants, and juices, cereals etc etc.
In a separate room, off the dining area, was the hot buffet, which was excellent.
Great location for all things Windsorian and we visited Eton en route home - just for photos, rather than enrolling grandsons you understand!
Recommend a visit and we hope to return for a Jazz Weekend in the autumn, if not before. For history buffs, the Guildhall is opposite and in case you miss it, so is Windsor Castle!
Cannot praise the General Manager and Chef highly enough - they have got everything exactly right!

Room Tip: Older part of hotel along High Street served by lift is more traditional. Annexe rooms more modern b...

Dear Nick S,

Thank you very much for posting such a pleasing review of your stay with us. I know the team will be delighted to receive this feedback as they all work so hard in trying to ensure that we deliver a outstanding guest experience. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have just returned form an overnight stay at the Mecure Windsor Castle.
We stayed after booking the Ready for Romance package that included dinner for two, room upgrade (if available), room service breakfast, Prosseco and chocolates on arrival and late check out to 2pm.
I felt overall our stay was good, but was marred by the staff having no idea about what was included in the package we booked.
On check in I enquired about the room upgrade and I was told it was available but at a cost. After some discussion and me providing my booking confirmation email, they gave us an upgraded room at no extra cost but stated that we weren't entitled to it.
The next morning, despite having a do not disturb sign on our door, housekeeping knocked on our door at midday to enquire if we were checking out, we said that we were but our package allowed us late check out until 2pm, again she knew nothing of the late check out part of our package.
On check out they also asked us if we had arranged late check out and I again stated that our booking clearly stated late checkout until 2pm. The also put £10 on our room charges for having room service breakfast. This was removed after I highlighted that room service breakfast was clearly stipulated as being included with the package.
I found it very off putting that staff were not aware of the package that was sold and made me feel like I was being difficult for requesting theses inclusions. I am not a pushy person and would have never asked for these inclusions if they were not stipulated in the package I booked.

The positive part of our stay was the location of the hotel, the room and our evening meal, which were all lovely.
The restaurant staff in particular were very friendly and helpful and the set meal menu had a good variety of options. The food was also very good.
The hotel has a lot of character and charm for a chain hotel and would make a good location for an event or wedding. It's really just the shame that we felt a little let down during our stay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Phillis_d_sa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies that our internal communication on this occassion has broken down resulting in our lack of awareness of all the package inclusions and any embarressment caused to yourself by having to ask for these items. Please be assured I will follow this up with the team and ensure we put in place any necessary measures to prevent this from happening again in the future. Thank you for your positive comments also and I will ensure I share this feedback with the team. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Full compliments to the hotel staff for being so friendly and attentive . It was my wife's birthday and consequently many pleasant 'extras' came our way - inc a complimentary upgrade - and all with a smile. Its a lovely hotel with a great location and not least free parking - which in Windsor is something in itself. Normally I would have been very critical as we had a dreadful night sleep as the room was 'cooking' and someone in their wisdom had the aircon control locked off, thus only allowing warm air until windows were opened, which then resulted in road noise. False economy on a grand scale. The fantastic staff and 'feel good' ambience made us over look what was a fairly grave error. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the temperature issues you encountered within your bedroom and please be assured I will follow up your comments with the team in relation to the air con being fixed on heating only and have this resolved. I was delighted to read your fantastic comments about the team at the hotel and I will ensure I share these with them as I know they will be pleased to recieve this feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel at short notice with wife. Stayed for one night well worth the value nice room could do with freshen up. Breakfast very good and plenty of it also parking included in cost of stay. Would certainly stay again.

Dear streakySWales,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read you comments and will ensure I share them with the team, we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

stayed for two nights great place a stones throw away from the castle and station and shops..very comfortable beds room was very cosy ..the food was excellent second to none..the breakfast one of the best i have ever had in any hotel and i have stayed in a few..the staff were very polite and friendly nothing was any trouble for them in fact they went out of there way to make you feel that way loved my stay and will defo go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear millyo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I will be delighed to share your positive feedback with the team who I know will be encouraged by this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

It may seem strange to start a review by talking about the car park but this is certainly a huge advantage of this hotel. We arrived just before 11am when the changing of the guards was about to take place and the High Street about to be cordoned off. However by staying at the Mercure we were waved through to the car park on High Street and looked after by the super efficient car park attendant. Providing a 100 bay car park free of charge to residents that is literally within 200 yards of the castle is a great bonus, as is the wonderful location of the hotel itself. A great start and a wonderful reason to have chosen this hotel over the nearby Macdonald equivalent.

We had taken a last minute package and this proved to be extremely good value but one never escaped the fact that one was staying at a slightly higher than average level chain hotel which is positioned at the 'good value breaks' end of the market. The room was in the annexe behing the main building and was a standard chain hotel room with a settee and chair but lacking any real personality or luxury but in fairness it was clean and excellent value for what we were paying.

In addition there were some significant plus points about the hotel including a reasonable lounge and bar although almost inevitably the ambience was geared to snack meals being served continually and to a noisy rather than a restful environment.

Another plus was the excellent service we encounterd throughout. This just doesn't happen and clearly the people in charge had ensured a high level of focus in this area and they have succeeded well. Rather than venturing out we ate in the hotel restaurant on the Sunday evening. when there were only three tables occupied but Sunday evenings in February are hardly the time when bookings are required! The meal was acceptable but it was again what one would expect from a chain hotel restaurant. I had the Jerusalem artichoke soup and the venison and hot pot, whilst my wife had the pigeon and loin of lamb. No major problem but all pretty conventional and not particularly high on the innovation or flavour level stakes.

Breakfasts were again what would expect with an excellent spread of cold foods but also one of those infernal hot buffets. Am I the only person that cannot stand semi congealed fried eggs, semi cold bacon and a queue? Again to be fair, there were items that one could order such as eggs benedict and boiled eggs, although the latter came as totally hard boiled which tended to nullify the innovation but on the other hand my wife's eggs benedict were excellent.

So in summary, excellent location, wonderful car park, really good service and very good value but it never escaped from being a chain hotel, which we knew when we booked, so no compliant on those grounds but one does miss those bits of extra luxury, comfort and ambience that one gets at more expensive individual hotels. Still an enjoyable weekend in an obviously well managed hotel that more than adequately provides what it sets out to achieve and which we would happily visit again to take advanatage of that wonderful car park and that superb location.

3  Thank StAlbansWilbo
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear StAlbansWilbo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team and was pleased to read that you found many elements of your stay with us to be good value and that we offered good service throughout the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.