“great location”

Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed November 25, 2012

great location, in the heart of windsor, car parking free which is a great bonus, and a jolly attendant to help you out
room ok, all the usual bits, good size bathroom
in the breakfast room, two great members of staff, the rest can hardly look at you and obviously dont want to be there
well done to Rose, who we believe has been there 18 years and makes up for the rest of the waiters, also the lady in charge was helpful

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear rewecourt.,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments and I know Rose will be delighted with your feedback. I will ensure the feedback is shared with the team who I know will be disappointed that you felt they were not up to what I believe is our usual standard as we receive lots of great comments about our breakfast team. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

In general terms this was an OK stay - helped by the fact that the nice old boy looking after the car park found me the last available space. Check in was efficient (on the face of it - of which more later) but my spirits dropped when I realised my room backed directly on to the lift. Not a good sign from a noise perspective, which was evident within ten minutes when the lift was used.

The room was well furnished but quite worn, with stains on the chairs - not nice.

The bathroom was clean but the glazed shower screen on the bath didn't swing open, which made it almost impossible to turn the bathtaps on without standing in the bath.

Despite my misgivings about the lift, I actually slept very well from about 22:30 to 04:30. However, at that point, my upstairs neighbour decided to get up and spent the next hour loudly moving about - to the point that my light fitting was vibrating as he stamped around the room.

Then around 06:00 I was woken again by the sound of a newspaper being shoved under the door, despite having declined the offer when I checked in and also with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. The newspaper was on my bill, to the surprise of the receptionist who checked me out, as she had also checked me in and remembered that I had declined the newspaper.

To add a final annoyance - a pint of Heineken for £5 - ridiculous even by London standards.

So overall, a pretty average stay for me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Jorganmeister,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. Please be assured we will review your comments as a team and take any appropriate action we can to address the points you highlight. Please accept my apologies that on this occassion your experience was not up to the standard I know we can deliver. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Location says a lot, service says everything, and from the moment we arrived here for our three day weekend break in the beautiful and historic English town, the service spoke volumes.

We were greeted with great friendliness by the car park attendant (Yes a free car park for guests in the very centre of Windsor where car parking is at a premium!) who opon hearing that we were staying for two nights found us a quiet spot where the car would not be disturbed.

Then the receptionist, who greeted us with a lively smile and was totally efficient and quick in handling the check in formalities. Upon arriving in our quite adequte double room at the rear of the hotel (nice and quiet) we discovered the fridge was not working. A call to reception produced a technician within 5 minutes who quickly put things right.

This four star hotel is situated virtually opposite the castle entrance so could not be better placed for Windor's shops, restaurants, and pubs.

Breakfast was a hich point on both mornings. W were given a choice of table and offered a comprehensive hot and cold buffet, or A'La Carte items cooked to order. We selected poach haddock topped with tow poached eggs each, both mornings and they were perfect. The fish was of very high quality, naturally smoked, fresh and flaky and came easily off the skin. The two eggs were poached to perfection, with bright yellow runny yolks. We asked for brown toast and the bread was exceptional. All of the waiting staff were attentive, and very friendly.

Drinks in the bar were very comfortable bar were served by knowledgable and welcoming bar staff in a relaxing and warm environment.

This is an old hotel with 1960's extensions added during the time it was owned by THF, and therefore provides the best of old and new, and provides free WIFI for guests.

We will be back!

Room Tip: For the full Windsor experience visitors may wish to pay extra for one of the original bedrooms at t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Corvette1544,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review following your recent stay with us. It was pleasing to read so many positive comments about the team and your experiences at the hotel. I will be delighted to share your feedback with them all. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future hopefully.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 15, 2012

No hotel is perfect for everyone but I have visited over 50 countries and stayed in a great many hotels all over the world so have experienced the very good, the very bad, the downright appalling and everything in between. I find the more critical previous reviews of Windsor Castle Hotel, where my wife and I spent last weekend, very difficult to understand.
Our room in the "annexe" was very comfortable, very clean and well decorated. The staff without exception were courteous and very helpful. The location, which is almost directly across the street from the world's oldest inhabited castle, is ideal for visiting and exploring Windsor.

The food was excellent. The car park which is very effectively controlled by an attendant is free to residents which is a huge bonus in this very historic town.

If you want somewhere to stay in Windsor then I no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Ron G.

Room Tip: Try the annexe - it is less expensive and very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ron G
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Ron G,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and value the comments you have made. I will ensure I share your feedback with the team who I know will be encouraged by this. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
GMMercureCastle, General Manager at Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is almost directly opposite the castle entrance. I had a room in an extension out the back. It was a reasonable size with a view over the car park. WiFi coverage and speed was pretty much non existent. The hotel staff did their best to make it work but with little effect. Other than that my stay was good. Food good, bed comfy and staff helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear RichF09,

Thank you for taking the time to post a response following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with and found the team to be helpful. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered with the WIFI within the property we have subsequently checked and had the system reserviced. I am also pleased to be able to say that as of mid-December we are installing fibre optic broadband within the hotel which will hopefully significantly improve access and speed to our customers.