“Back to visit Windsor after 40 years.”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I find it impossible to believe that anyone can state that this hotel is less than perfect. We stayed for 2 nights and had a lovely time. Next to the River Thames the hotel is ideally situated for walks around the grounds and visiting Windsor, Maidenhead, Henley-on-Thames and lots of other locations. The room had views of the river, two comfortable arm-chairs, wifi, fridge, table, lots of lights, power shower lots of wardrobe and drawer space. Food was excellent and the staff that look after us were so pleasant and friendly. My wife and I intend a return trip because we liked it so much even though it was almost a 6 hour drive.

By mistake I packed a face cloth from the hotel but my BH has posted it back to them so we hope that we will be welcomed again.

Room Tip: The river side of the hotel has beautiful views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear RaynardAtherton

Thank you for your complimentary review - we certainly hope to welcome you again to the Oakley Court Hotel.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed for a night last weekend and found the hotel to be of a good standard with smiling, helpful staff and wonderful grounds to walk around. The room we were in overlooked the Thames and it was wonderful to have a selection of magazines and coffee/tea making facilities and be able to relax comfortably in your own room. The restaurant was quite limited in the selection of foods but we chose to eat in so that we could both have a nice drink, the breakfast was far superior with piping hot plates and a good selection of hot and cold foods.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarahandthesun

Dear Sarahandthesun

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

If you have more than just a night through Heathrow this is ideally placed in the M4/25/3 corridor. The hotel itself backs onto the Thames -ideal for Sunday morning papers on a bench with Swans/geese and rowers to watch. Except for the occasional plane noise this is a very tranquil place.
Film buffs will want to go purely because Bray studios was just down the road and Hammer did many of their films here when the house was semi-derelict before a £5 million upgrade/renovation. The style is a bit muddled, but probably quite authentic.
The staff were great, but food disappointed. A four star should do better.
The bar menu is very limited, so I choose the main dining room. Again limited choice - but that should not be a problem as it usually implies fresh ingredients well cooked.
I choose 'lamb four ways' which was an ill nconceived dish poorly made. A 'deconstructed' shepherd's pie was greasy and overcooked, although an accompanying chop was good.
The also served a shrimp and salmon bake (which tasted fine) in a metal tin, which made it look like a just opened tin of sardines! So presentation and concept problems!

They also do what (I,m afraid) most hotels now do and that is the dreaded buffet breakfast. I arrived as it opened. Eggs already hard and luke warm, bacon already soggy. What it must be like for people breakfasting at 9.00 I dread to think> There were at least 5 waiting staff for maybe 20 customers. Why not move one of them to the kitchens and serve freshly made/to order food? Thete should be a Trip Advisor Campaign again pre- prepared hot breakfast in hotels!

All the same I enjoyed my trip, relaxed in a great leisure centre. In terms of value for money the Superior rooms are worth going for.
Although overall I gave a 3 Star rating it could so easily have been 5
Worth keeping an eye on later reviews asw this has recently changed hands and if they sort out the kitchens/cooking I would definitely go again

Room Tip: Pay for superior room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank emilymor

Dear emilymor

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am pleased to confirm, we welcomed a new Head Chef to the Oakley Court at the beginning of April and we hope you return to sample our menu - a combination of simple and classic dishes served in the Dining Room Restaurant or the Terrace Restaurant.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I've recently returned from a great two night B&B break with a friend at The Oakley Court. The service, food, rooms & location were all first class. We had a spacious, meticulously clean room overlooking the Thames & beautiful grounds, what more could you ask for? The hotel has a great history, having been used as a film set in its colourfull past. Films including The Belles of St.Trinians, The Rocky Horror Show, Half a Sixpence & several notable Hammer Horror films were set here - great fun if you're a film fan. I'm vegetarian and enjoyed both the offerings in the evening and for breakfast, my non-vege friend said the 'Lamb four ways' was particularly delicious. The building has loads of character and has been sympathetically added to, to provide spacious accommodation. We booked the stay through Superbreaks with inclusive rail travel from Newcastle and an evening meal on the first night, great value for money. My friend and I travel far and wide visiting castle's, museums and attractions and this is without doubt the best hotel we've stumbled across. It's a short taxi ride from Windsor Castle & Legoland (both of which are good value for money and well worth a visit.) I strongly recommend a trip to Windsor and a stay at The Oakley Court. I intend returning to the hotel with my husband for a visit to Ascot which is also a short distance from the hotel. (Didn't have time to visit the Spa.)

Room Tip: River view rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wendy S

Dear Wendy S

Thank you, we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Went to Oakley Court for a business meeting over a couple of days. The arrangements for this part of the service seemed, as a participant, seamless to me. Friendly staff, slightly cheeky barman all went down a storm.
My accommodation was in the slightly less glam 1997 part of the building, but was very comfortable, clean and warm. Good shower too. I was only sleeping there, and the view was still good.
The best part of this hotel is the original building. It is a star in itself. Amazing history. Lots of movies and TV filmed here but apparently was also the UK headquarters of the French Resistance in WW2!
The hotel is quirky with a tiny feeling of faded grandeur which really pleased me. Lovely deck area and of course, right on the Thames. It made the most of the downtime we had on a work event.
I'm not sure when the new chef was installed here, but I think the food was faultless. As the website advised, was simple food, done really, really well. Was one of the highlights of our event. Perfectly seasoned, and how did they cook risotto for our party of ~60 so well?
I would love to go back again as a private visit, and will give feedback to my employers that we should have global meetings here as opposed to London hotel. Is easier from Heathrow.
My only caveat is to be aware that there is no lift. There are a lot of stairs, so if that is not good for you, ask for a downstairs room.
Another thing is they need to get a better website. Really doesn't do them justice. No interior shots or tariffs, or most importantly the menu. Even a sample would be good for guidance.
HURRAH!!!!

Room Tip: No lift. . . and lots of stairs, so get downstairs room if that bothers you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rosinaf01
RichardSmith2014, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Rosinaf01

My team and I are delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at The Oakley Court Hotel.

I can confirm, we did experience temporary operational challenges with our website recently, when we switched website providers - please accept our apologies - it is up and running now.

We are unable to install a lift as the Mansion House is a listed building.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Oakley Court Hotel and thank you for your valued review.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

From the minute of booking, to the second we left... What an amazing experience we had.
Highly highly recommend the champagne afternoon tea package. Food was delicious, plenty to enjoy and just simply amazing.
We had a wonderful seat in an Edwardian decorated room over looking the river which only enhanced are our experience.
An absolute must try.
Thank you so much staff!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Gemma316

Dear Gemma316

We are delighted to read that you had an "amazing experience" and thank you for your review and for recommending the Oakley Court Hotel.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

overpriced,wi-fi not working ( not great for business), jacuzzi with warmish water, hole in towels, more like a Holiday Inn. Shame the mansion is beautiful but really needs services improvement. I would rate the hotel average as food, leisure facilites,atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank Zoitam

Dear Zoitam

The majority of our Trip Advisor reviews are of a positive nature and I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations in many areas.