“Weekend stay for a wedding”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We travelled to & stayed at The Oakley Court for a family wedding.
The setting was great, staff attentive & polite & everything went really smoothly.
The food was amazing both at the wedding & other times.
On checking with family members it appears that none of the guest rooms has a clock in it.
Also, the lighting is really poor, especially in the bathroom. I could not see to put on make-up & several other wedding guests compalined of the same thing.
The kettle would not switch itself off because the lid was broken, there was a broken window pane & when I went to use the steam iron prior to dressing for the wedding, it poured water over everything.
No free internet.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynda C
Richard S, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Lynda C

Thank you for your 5 star rating. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive comments regarding the service provided by my team.

I can confirm that we supply free Wifi throughout the hotel, to all of our guests. Our lighting is environmentally friendly as is usual standard in the majority of hotels – I do apologise if this caused you any inconvenience. I am slightly puzzled by your comments of a broken window pane and kettle as we have had no reports of this. Our Front of House Manager has arranged for all rooms to be checked and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

lovely hotel and the setting was fantastic. I understand the hotel is up for sale if so this could reflect on trays being left in the corriadors until the afternoon. Apart from that everything was lovely. We did query the cost of 4 large glasses of wine and a small bowl of crisps, This came to nearly £50. The crisps we were told were £3.00 a bowl!!

Room Tip: Do not eat the crisps!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomo10

Dear tomo10

I am delighted to read that your stay was pleasant and you enjoyed the wonderful setting of The Oakley Court Hotel. I would like to assure you, we are operating as usual and aim to deliver our usual high levels of service and customer care to all guests. I therefore apologise for the fact that some trays were not collected immediately.

Our prices are in line with other 4 star hotels in the area. We do have a large selection of wines at various prices and the price per glass is dependent upon the wine selected.

We value your feedback and thank you for taking the time to post a review - we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Historic building set in acres of wonderful grounds, had a riverview so was great waking to that each morning, our superior room was very tasteful with lots if space and the bed was just right, didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank sajali10

Thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the Easter period it a lovely hotel well maintained and helpful staff, the rooms were very big and well furnished. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds right by the river.
It's located very close to Windsor so perfect for sight seeing. The only let down was the food although the breakfast was very good and a lot to choose from we had room service one evening there was not a lot to choose from and it wasn't great, so for evening meals I would suggest you eat elsewhere. The leisure centre and spa were very nice And I had a couple of treatments which were very relaxing. I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing break and a great base for sight seeing and theme parks.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard S, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

I am pleased to read that you recommend The Oakley Court Hotel for a relaxing break however I am sorry to note that you were disappointed with our room service menu. Thank you for your review as it is only through your valuable feedback and comments that we can improve our service and operations in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very good service from friendly staff. Rooms are a good size. Only stayed one night and arrived late so didn't see too much of the hotel, but the main building is impressive.
Good breakfast choice. No problems or complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you and we hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We staye at the Oakely for our anniversery. I booked this for a suprise for my wife and boy was she impressed.
The grounds leading to the hotel were very impressive. There was ample car parking facilities but it always gets busy.
Check in was simple and we were shown to our room. Our room was not in the main building but to the adjacent building.
At first was a little dissapointed but when we were shown our room I was convinced. Our room had a view of the Thames, what more could I have askd for?
The room was grand in decor and had all the usual facilities.
We stayed Bed & Breakfast and the breakfast was fine, no problems with ampl food for all the guests.
We also made use of the on site pool which is indoors with a jacuzzi. It was perefect and not too busy. There is also a gym next door which are all free of charge with the room booking.
We ventured into Windor which was only a few mins drive and a 15min walk to town.
Winsor is an amazing town with many boutiqe shops and lovely restuarants.
Theres loads to do we took a boa on the thames which was great but raining.
I would recommend this hotel to all, our stay was very relaxing.

Room Tip: If you stay in the other complex ensure it is on floor 1. Best views
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for recomending the Oakley Court Hotel and for your valued review. I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently returned to stay at the Oakley Court Hotel to celebrate a 40th Birthday - Many years ago I had been a regular at the Oakley Court, and I mean regular - I think I spent over 500 nights on an Oakley bed. I wish I could say back then money was not an issue but the truth was I was a young waiter working and living on the Oakley Court estate. So for me this really was a trip down memory lane.

We arrived on at the hotel at about 3pm on the Saturday afternoon and were greeted by the doorman with a glass of champagne - this was not just for our party it was offered to all guests arriving. I am not sure if this is something that is done daily or at weekends only or if this was special occasion!? either way it was a nice touch.

There was nobody in front of us reception so we checked straight in - check in was an easy and speedy process with the receptionist wishing a Happy Birthday to the friend who's birthday were were celebrating.

We were staying in room 5 which is in the main building - this was a beautiful room with views over the grounds - free wifi - iPod dock - two, what looked to be, brand new bathrobes and according to the good lady - lovely toiletries in the bathroom.

I took my girlfriend on a tour of the grounds to bore her with stories of my days as a waiter there, the grounds are beautiful and the stretch of The Thames that the hotel rest on are just a scenic.

We headed back to the main house to meet up with the rest of our group and relax in the lounge and then into the billiard room for a few games of snooker. The bar and lounge staff were all very polite and courteous and nothing was too much trouble - that said we were not really asking for anything other than drinks from the bar - but the bartender would insist on bring them to the table or billiard room for us and not just serve them to us to carry ourselves - don't remember his name but i remember being very jealous of his ability to wear a moustache - seriously people, he rocked it!

We all headed back to our rooms to freshen up for diner and the met up again about 8pm in the dining room. The service was friendly, prompt and the right balance of keeping wine glasses topped up and checking all was in order and leaving you alone to enjoy your night - Good service is always a pleasure but sometimes I find restaurant staff can be too attentive and it can be frustrating to break conversation every few minutes - non of that here, it was spot on!

The food was good - no more no less, nothing too clever.

We moved to the lounge for coffee but decided on a few wines before heading to bed - apparently there was a wedding in one of the function rooms but I can honestly say I didn't see anybody that appeared to be from the wedding party - just saying that there was no noise from the wedding or wedding guests that I heard.

Good night sleep - followed by a power shower and down to breakfast - as we were a group who wanted to sit together we had to wait for a table - we waited no more than 8-10 minutes before being told our table was ready. Self service breakfast with pretty much all you can ask for - cooked - continental - fruits and cereals etc. Checkout was as simple as check in and we were off - lovely night all round.

Now some extra information -

I do not normally review places - it is just not something I do, but I felt I had to on this occasion and here is why.

Because I had history with Oakley Court I wanted to show my girlfriend where we were staying and googled it and up popped the trip advisor site. There are some reviews here that I found to be shocking and I was wondering had things changed that much - the truth is NO - the hotel, staff, food, service and facilities are as lovely as ever! What also has not changed is people - as anybody who has worked in the service industry knows is that people can be very strange and to add to that, there are the professional complainers and reading these negative reviews is a second trip down memory lane.

I find that many people do not know how to behave or what to expect when staying in hotels, what is appropriate and what is not. I did hear also the hotel was in administration so asked the staff what the situation was - It would appear that the holding company is indeed administration but this is not connected with the hotel or its performance, in-fact a little digging will show that this hotel is performing financially better than it ever has!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank andyp771

Thank you for taking the time to post your complimentary review on Trip Advisor. It is good to hear that we have provided such a positive guest experience. Our constant goal is to exceed our guests' expectations and provide them with a memorable stay.