“Memory lane”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Memory lane”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently returned to stay at the Oakley Court Hotel to celebrate a 40th Birthday - Many years ago I had been a regular at the Oakley Court, and I mean regular - I think I spent over 500 nights on an Oakley bed. I wish I could say back then money was not an issue but the truth was I was a young waiter working and living on the Oakley Court estate. So for me this really was a trip down memory lane.

We arrived on at the hotel at about 3pm on the Saturday afternoon and were greeted by the doorman with a glass of champagne - this was not just for our party it was offered to all guests arriving. I am not sure if this is something that is done daily or at weekends only or if this was special occasion!? either way it was a nice touch.

There was nobody in front of us reception so we checked straight in - check in was an easy and speedy process with the receptionist wishing a Happy Birthday to the friend who's birthday were were celebrating.

We were staying in room 5 which is in the main building - this was a beautiful room with views over the grounds - free wifi - iPod dock - two, what looked to be, brand new bathrobes and according to the good lady - lovely toiletries in the bathroom.

I took my girlfriend on a tour of the grounds to bore her with stories of my days as a waiter there, the grounds are beautiful and the stretch of The Thames that the hotel rest on are just a scenic.

We headed back to the main house to meet up with the rest of our group and relax in the lounge and then into the billiard room for a few games of snooker. The bar and lounge staff were all very polite and courteous and nothing was too much trouble - that said we were not really asking for anything other than drinks from the bar - but the bartender would insist on bring them to the table or billiard room for us and not just serve them to us to carry ourselves - don't remember his name but i remember being very jealous of his ability to wear a moustache - seriously people, he rocked it!

We all headed back to our rooms to freshen up for diner and the met up again about 8pm in the dining room. The service was friendly, prompt and the right balance of keeping wine glasses topped up and checking all was in order and leaving you alone to enjoy your night - Good service is always a pleasure but sometimes I find restaurant staff can be too attentive and it can be frustrating to break conversation every few minutes - non of that here, it was spot on!

The food was good - no more no less, nothing too clever.

We moved to the lounge for coffee but decided on a few wines before heading to bed - apparently there was a wedding in one of the function rooms but I can honestly say I didn't see anybody that appeared to be from the wedding party - just saying that there was no noise from the wedding or wedding guests that I heard.

Good night sleep - followed by a power shower and down to breakfast - as we were a group who wanted to sit together we had to wait for a table - we waited no more than 8-10 minutes before being told our table was ready. Self service breakfast with pretty much all you can ask for - cooked - continental - fruits and cereals etc. Checkout was as simple as check in and we were off - lovely night all round.

Now some extra information -

I do not normally review places - it is just not something I do, but I felt I had to on this occasion and here is why.

Because I had history with Oakley Court I wanted to show my girlfriend where we were staying and googled it and up popped the trip advisor site. There are some reviews here that I found to be shocking and I was wondering had things changed that much - the truth is NO - the hotel, staff, food, service and facilities are as lovely as ever! What also has not changed is people - as anybody who has worked in the service industry knows is that people can be very strange and to add to that, there are the professional complainers and reading these negative reviews is a second trip down memory lane.

I find that many people do not know how to behave or what to expect when staying in hotels, what is appropriate and what is not. I did hear also the hotel was in administration so asked the staff what the situation was - It would appear that the holding company is indeed administration but this is not connected with the hotel or its performance, in-fact a little digging will show that this hotel is performing financially better than it ever has!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank andyp771
Richard S, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your complimentary review on Trip Advisor. It is good to hear that we have provided such a positive guest experience. Our constant goal is to exceed our guests' expectations and provide them with a memorable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just returned from 2 day break at the stunning Oakley Court in Windsor, what a fantasic stay we had, the hotel itself is lovely, the room was spacious with a stunning view of the River Thames,

We decided to venture into Windsor and the chap on the Concierge desk was extremely helpful and nothing was to much trouble in assisting us to plan our day.On return to the hotel we spent the afternoon relaxing using the lesuire facilities / pool before a enjoying a wonderful dinner in the restaurant - after reading some of the reviews on here prior to our stay i was a little dubious, however i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is considering a stay there - on both days breakfast the next morning was included and was well worth it

On our second day we decided to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant the staff were really friendly and they all provided an excellent service. Always ready to help and please, this really is a wonderful hotel and we can't wait to return

Room Tip: West wing view of the river/grounds was amazing
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sammij976
Richard S, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Oakley Court Hotel as well the service provided by our team. We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.
London
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent 2 nights with my wife and daughter over Easter and just loved this place. Champagne on arrival was a lovely start and free wifi is always welcome. Our room was very spacious and clean with an ipod docking station and beautiful The White Company toiletries. Easter egg hunt was really fun for my daughter (although a bit cold)! Dinner was beautiful with Howard the restaurant manager never stopping. Decided to have a lovely relaxing breakfast in the room after reading previous reviews about breakfast in the restaurant being busy. All in all a really perfect break with friendly, helpful staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the East Wing which was perfect for us
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable Easter break and thank you for taking the time to post a review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Oakley Court Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Whilst staying at Oakley Court I felt very much looked after and comfortable. Whilst there myself and my mother had afternoon tea which was delicious and beautifully presented to us. My room was perfection! It was very clean and fresh and beautifully decorated. Every single member of staff was kind and welcoming, I HIGHLY recommend the scenic, charming Oakley Court Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for highly recommending the Oakley Court Hotel. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We like Windsor and our past three trips have been based at The Beaumont but this time we fancied a change. We chose the Oakley Court, also part of the Principle Hayley chain and we weren't disappointed. The deal was obviously a great start as £99 per room per night in an executive family room was hard to beat with free wifi, it was on Secret Escapes but you could book the same deal direct with the hotel. Great location by the Thames and only 3-4 miles from the centre, 5 mins if you are driving and £9 each way in a taxi if you fancy a drink. Main building steeped in movie history from the 60's and 70's, being used in old hammer horror films, the new avengers and rocky horror - you'll see why if you visit as its almost gothic like from the outside. If I could change anything I'd say look at the breakfasts, maybe offer some items you could order as the same old sausage bacon and egg is a bit dated and, unfortunately, is the same across the chain having stayed at severally their hotels. I think the Beaumont has better bar areas, a little more contemporary which suits me better but the pool area at the Oakley Court much brighter and better maintained. Overall cant fault it for what we paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SDA1892
Richard S, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend break and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
buckfastleigh
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Sad to hear that this hotel has gone into administration but not at all surprised,over the years since 2003 myself and friends have spent thousands at this hotel and at one time we were going to have my only daughters wedding here,but in 2011 something just wasn't right and the service went completely off the rails with a manager who was constantly in denial and still is.I just hope now that new caring owners purchase this hotel and get it back to the old days where customers came first and nothing was too much trouble.Our last visit in 2012 breakfast was shocking with having to queue up for toast and stewed cold tea served in flasks,room service was just comical,but the hotel thought it could survive on its position alone well it was wrong.

Room Tip: west wing it has to be at this hotel the views are stunning down the thames
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank simon l
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Although I have not had direct contact with you regarding your May 2012 stay at the hotel, please accept my apologies for this past stay. I can assure you, a lot has changed in the last 12 months to enhance our guest experience.

For our other Trip Advisor guests reading this review, please note, on every level in the past few years we have improved on every measurable customer service and standard delivered however it appears that we clearly fell short in May 2012.

With regards to the “administration” current status of the hotel, I can assure you that we are operating the hotel as we have successfully done over a number of years and it is very much business as normal throughout this period of change. The hotel is still operated and managed by the same team and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. The administration status has no bearing on the operational procedures and standards of the hotel.

Please refer to our Ratings Summary on Trip Advisor and our Certificate of Excellence awarded by Trip Advisor. We have also recently been recognised by receiving a Beautiful South Tourism Award.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had a two night break here. Lovely setting right next to the River Thames. Nice to have the sun on our backs as we relaxed in the grounds. Great room looking out over the lawn to the river. Good food, attentive staff but hotel a little bit tired in places. Lot of history in the hotel and so close to Windsor, Runneymede and Ascot. Heating / Air con a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and river view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your valued review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.