“Beautiful hotel, family friendly”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went on a babymoon to this hotel taking our 2year old with us and I was slightly worried as to how we would get on, I had no need to worry. The room was huge with plenty of room for a travel cot and meant he still had space to play, the staff were fantastic and really patience with us and took notice always of our little one, nothing was too much trouble. The grounds stunning, the swimming pool fantastic which was a fav for our son, lots to do nearby Windsor Castle, Odds Farm and Chessington all of which we fitted in with our stay to make it a fantastic few days, not to mention the breakfast with tons of choice. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are going away with children, they made our stay a delight and we will almost certainly be returning as soon as we can. A massive thank you again to all the staff :)

• Stayed: December 2012
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for highly recommending The Oakley Court Hotel. Our location proves to be popular with both business and leisure guests and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,460)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I got a really good deal for the Oakley Court and so took my other half here for his Christmas present. I paid £158 for the two of us to have dinner bed and breakfast and considering the hotel and the amazing food that really was a bargain.

Oakley Court is a lovely old converted house (built in the late 1800s I believe), most of the rooms are in outlying wings, I did overhear that they have suite rooms in the main building. We were in room 202 which was in the west wing and had a wonderful view over the gorgeous ground to the river. It was all beautifully lit at night and I would imagine in summer it must be glorious.

Our room was very big and had all we needed with a large bathroom and my only reason for not giving 5 stars is because, as other reviews have said, it could all do with a bit of a revamp. A lot of the decor was looking rather tired and the carpet needed replacing (in fact they were replacing the hall stair carpet on the day we left!). Our bed was very comfy, but had a distinct dip on the side which meant we put some of the many cushions under the mattress to save me falling out of bed!! There is a fridge available which had 2 bottles of water and a few milk cartons, and a kettle (full size) with sachets of coffee and tea etc, again, it would have been lovely to have had more milk available and perhaps even a jug of fresh milk as the fridge was there. Just those little touches and a room revamp would have pushed my rating to a 5 star.

Our dinner was truly delicious and the service impecable. A choice of three meals for each course plus an appetiser of salmon and crab mousse which was mouth watering. I had mushroom soup which was sublime followed by braised beef and bread and butter pudding both delicious once again. Our waiter and waitress were friendly and attentive. £4.50 per person for a pot of coffee and 4 petit fours (ie 2 each) I felt was a bit steep but considering the whole package was so reasonable we didn't mind. My cocktail cost £9.50 and my partners pint of beer was £4.50, I believe a glass of wine was £5.50.

Breakfast again was lovely, a choice of hot which included the full English or salmon and scrambled eggs and there was also a cold buffet. We ate far too much!

The Oakley Court is only 10 minutes drive from the centre of Windsor so ideally situated and we had a pleasant walk through the grounds of the hotel which in summer must be even more lovely.

A very nice hotel and we'd certainly stay again if we could get another similar deal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AstridCB

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate The Oakley Court Hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent the day at the Oakley Court hotel in the Spa area as it was a present from my partner.

We arrived the hotel at about 8.30am and was a little dissapointed that there was no one there to greet us and tells us what was what. We spent a few hours by the pool but it was a good job that we got there early as there is only 4 loungers. I was a little dissapointed that there was no where to get coffee or fruit juice but discovered that the spa area including the Gym is operated by a private company and not the hotel which makes things a little diss-jointed.

We had lunch in the hotels main restauraunt which was fabulous.. The service and the food was first class. I had the guinny fowl to start followed by the carvery roast lamb which melted in the mouth then sticky toffee pudding. The restauraunt is very much in keeping with the rest of the hotel, which is stunning. They used to film movies there as Bray film studios is right next door. We have been there in the summer for a drink and it's lovely as you can sit by the river in the hotel grounds.

The treatments we had were great. I had a back and neck massage, a facial and a foot massage. The girls in the spa are very friendly and so are the gym staff.

We have yet to stay at this hotel but we will do at some point.

We had a great time at the Oakley court hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a chilled out break.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidC55

We are pleased you had such a relaxing day at The Oakley Court Hotel. I can confirm "The Escape" is operated by a third party however the gym is owned and operated by the hotel. Thank you for your review, we hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at Oakley Court for an evening on the way to Heathrow. It's a lovely setting and very high qualty throughout. It has a fascinating history - the setting for St. Trinian films, Hammer House of Horrors and The Avengers. Rooms were very spacious and warm. The ensuite was excellent - good quality fittings. The food was very good - however, the bar prices are a little on the expensive side. You might want to consider taking something for 'the room'? As to be expected, the breakfast was also excellent. Fresh, hot and tasty.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for your review and we hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had a very nice (renovated) room with a beautiful view of the park and river. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Very good service in the restaurant and the food was excellent. The fitness centre was ok - didn't use the pool. The gardens are really outstanding with large old trees, fountains and a beautiful walkway along the river. I very much enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your valued review.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We love this place. But you can't see in the rooms. Lighting is dim. Outside, the river. Wonderful location, mansion house, breakfast. Public rooms appear to be for reading a book, but a drink or tea are required. Tea in the solarium is fabulous. Huge windows plenty of light. You notice your clothes are all unmatched and your makeup's too heavy! After a week's stay, we didn't care. Love the pool, sauna, steam room, all the nooks and crannies. Happy Christmas week. The Queen came for the "Swan Upping" in 2009. The St Trinian's were filmed here. I wanted to slide down the bannister. Nice, hard working staff.

Room Tip: River view, end of hall.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank huntressdi

Thank you for your five star review - we are pleased you enjoyed your stay! I can confirm we are addressing the lighting situation and hope you pay us a return visit.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at Oakley Court Hotel as guests of Casino 888 as we had won tickets to their Christmas Party, which was held on December 7, 2012; our visit was Dec 6-10, 2012. After a particularly hot flight on Air Canada, we were met by Windsor Cars and had a ride to the hotel in a Mercedes. Check in was quick and we were given a first floor room (after acknowledging that women do not always want the first floor, which was thoughtful). We were in room 308, and we faced onto the Thames, the view of the fountain and a huge tree that must be about 400 years old! The room was large and comfortable – but I found out my 220V converter did not work. The hotel lent us one with a ten-pound charge which was removed upon checkout when I returned it. We never watched TV so I cannot speak to that. Breakfast was a selection of scrambled eggs, sausage, hash brown patties, grilled tomatoes, beans, toast, cereals, pastries, fruits etc. On the weekend it is a buffet but during the weekdays it is custom order so we had Eggs Benedict.

Our party was Saturday night and it was a night of enchantment – we had seen the Windsor Suite room earlier and it is a regular conference room. Did not recognize it as it had been draped in black cloth with tiny lights like a starry night, and the tables were glorious, with the chairs wrapped in black and tied with gold bands. Our meal was delicious, a caramelized onion goat cheese savoury tart with rocket (a kind of lettuce), then dinner was roast beef cut thickly and done to a turn, on a bed of gravy and green beans, with a neat square of scalloped potatoes. Our dessert was a chocolate tarte with whipped cream and a stick of chocolate, accompanied by a platter of couture chocolates and jellies. I would not hesitate to throw a celebration here – the food and service was incredible. In fact, the wait staff was very quick to refill the glasses and we also had fancy bottles of water (which looked kind of like Absolut, some of us thought we had our own vodka for each table!). The band was Raised by Monkeys and they were a great party band, and later we had games and a raffle. One of the best, if not the best, parties I’ve ever been to – like a wedding, but without all the speeches and annoyances! Thank you Grainne for coordinating such a fabulous evening.

Our first night there we sat in the lovely bar by the fire and had a light meal but be warned, the couscous with vegetables is quite large if you get the large (12 pounds) so the smaller at seven pounds would be filling enough. They also have afternoon tea for various prices depending if you have champagne or not, in a beautiful sitting room overlooking the Thames.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough, as everyone was completely wonderful and service-oriented. The concierge was extremely helpful when we had a difficult situation, and was always polite and helpful. The bartenders and servers were very nice and I must mention Matt Walters who was a real personality behind the bar.

It was very easy to get a cab within five minutes and it’s about nine pounds to get to Windsor. I was not able to visualize Windsor from the maps but I found that the Castle itself was a great fixed point with which to orient myself. Our first day there, we asked the cabbie to drop us off "for shopping in Windsor", and he dropped us off one block from Peascod Street, which is the main street that leads directly to the Castle and Peascod is foot traffic only. We were at the foot of the street which gently increases upward toward the Castle and the statue of Queen Victoria.

We enjoyed the thrift shops by Oxfam, the Cancer Centre (Helen and Doug... somebody Cancer Centre), and we found the British Heart and Stroke one as well. Great deal on Jubilee keychains for .49p (about .80 Cdn) so we bought loads for gifts. Very clean and tidy thrift shops! We enjoyed Dorothy Perkins and of course Marks and Spencer for women's clothes. M & S had fantastic Christmas treats and I brought back mince tarts ("with lashings of brandy and sherry" - as written on the box) and mini Christmas puddings - two for four pounds. I could have gone insane with all the Christmas treats - we used to have M & S in Canada and I miss those goodies!

One other highlight for us was visiting Waitrose grocers. What a civilized grocery store! The cashiers get to sit instead of stand, and they also sell alcohol. I purchased some vodka and gin by Sipsmith, an artesanal small batch distillery in London. Nice selection of alcohols and I took several photos of the walls of beer. Took pics of the Jubilee packaging for M & M's, Pringles, so many things with Union Jacks!
I did visit the Royal Windsor Shopping which is sort of behind and to the left of Peascod street, and bought a Pandora crown charm, while my friend bought a Links of London bag. But for anyone reading from Canada, it is cheaper here! Still, you want the thrill of saying you bought it in England.

We had coffee at Cafe Pret and there is a Costa beside it - while both are nice, we found the Costa coffee to be really delicious.
Once you reach Queen Victoria's statue, to the left is a McDonald's, a Pizza Express and further down, a Zizzi's. Zizzi's is a chain and they serve a flatbread type of pizza. It was delicious and there is a "skinny" rustica version which is smaller pizza, with a side salad, served on wooden platters. Very nice service and an interesting exposed hole in the wall which shows the ancient lath & plaster & horsehair insulation of the 18th century wall.

Beside that is a fudge store which I did not visit as it was closed but it would be most interesting to bring home their fudge sauces or a slice of decadent fudge.

To the right of the Queen Victoria statue are some shops, including Glorious Britain, a nice souvenir shop where I bought a London teatowel for 2.99 down from 8.95 (available in turquoise, pink and green). There is a t.k.maxx which must be the UK version of TJ Maxx/Winners/Marshalls. Across the street is a museum which I did visit but admission is three pounds.

Woods of Windsor is across from t.k.maxx and they had a sale on their products so for 4.50 I bought a bottle of Lily of the Valley Lotion. They also have Jasmine, Rose and other fragrances, as well as Yardley products.

The best shopping, although not the cheapest, was at the four different gift shops at Windsor Castle. I bought Jubilee and Buckingham Palace tea towels, and a selection of beautiful tin plates for 4.99 each, which were copies of royal Georgian and Victorian fine china. A great gift to give with a platter of homemade cookies! Windsor Castle pens were very high quality for 8.95.

In short, loved Windsor, the shopping and Oakley Court - a very pretty and friendly place. Thanks again Casino 888 for the wonderful trip to England!

Would return to Oakley Court without hesitation!

Room Tip: ask to face the Thames so you can watch the swans go by
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank eloisegirl

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Oakley Court Hotel whilst visiting Windsor. Your words of appreciation and commendations are highly valued - thank you! It was a pleasure to accommodate you and we hope to welcome you on a future visit.