“Lovely spa treatment, soulless restaurant”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked a Groupon package with a mini facial, back massage and foot treatment with a 2 course lunch. The newly opened spa (Nov 2012) was warm and well appointed, although the treatment rooms are very small. The staff were welcoming and I was very impressed with the standard of the treatments and the comfort of the relax room. However, when I went to the hotel for my lunch, I had not been booked in and did not feel I was particularly welcome. However, I was found a table and offered a drink. The lunch itself was buffet style and I enjoyed what I had, although I was dismayed to see the top layer of the green salad looking dry and wilted, although I was the first diner of the session. However, I had to eat it to the accompaniment of a male voice lecturing the waiting staff on the need to be 'more proactive' when serving people at lunch. In the end I tuned out the voice, so I don't know what the rest of the conversation was about, but it created a most uncomfortable atmosphere. Then, when I went up to get my main course, another manager brusquely greeted me with the words 'Who are you with?'. He didn't actually bar my way, but again, I am not used to this kind of attitude in a dining environment.
Having said this, the grounds are absolutely stunning and the view of the river is beautiful. Outside, there is a lovely peaceful atmosphere and I enjoyed my walk around the gardens after lunch.
Overall, a very mixed experience - I would certainly return to the spa and particularly liked the products they used, which are organic and much cheaper than most salon products. However, I shall not be returning to dine there, as although the food was pretty good, the atmosphere in the restaurant was not conducive to relaxing and enjoying a meal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your treatments, the grounds and your food. Your constructive comments will be discussed with my team to further strengthen our positive approach to training within the resturantant.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

It has been 15 months since I was last here. The river is still in the same place and still looks lovely; so does the lovely aged building. But the rooms are looking tattier, and the staff seem to be getting cheaper. I had soup poured in my lap at our formal dinner: that has not happened for a long time. The hotel is in a mobile phone blackspot but the landline phone charges are extraordinary: a colleague seemed to pay about £5 per minute, from what he said. My shower was not working properly - not in the quaint Olde-Englishe way, just in the Rubbish-Maintenance way. One evening I asked for a salad in the restaurant, as I did not want a big meal but I did want to sit with my group. I was told that I had to order from the full-price menu (£25 per head), or go and sit elsewhere. It all smacks of a premium-price hotel trying to cut corners and squeeze every possible penny of extra cash from us. I find this tacky. The place still has some great assets, but I did not feel the experience matched the eventual price.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

I am disappointed and concerned to read your review. The majority of our customer reviews are of a positive nature and I would have liked the opportunity to meet with you personally at the time of your visit to address your concerns. I have checked with my team and we do not have a record of these issues being raised at the time, therefore it is now difficult to rectify. I can advise, we are not in a “mobile phone black spot” and our telephone charges are clearly listed. I offer my apologies for the isolated incidents you describe and do hope that if you return to the hotel on a future occasion, you will allow me the opportunity to prove that this is not our normal operating standard and not the impression we wish our guests to leave with.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

stayed at the hotel on bonfire weekend friday until sunday because i had won family pass to legoland in our local paper which had to be used by november.Thought we would have a treat and luxury instead of basic hotel. well worth going gorgeous hotel, grounds fantastic and staff all courteous and main thing to note was that we didn't feel out of place with our two daughters aged two and four. Nice to see history depicted around the buildings and the entrance was lovely with lanterns. we didnt try the swimming pool due to not having enough time. great location as ten minute drive to windsor. breakfast good as lots to choose from. only negative was that my partner witnessed one of the male staff speak nastily to a taxi driver because he had arrived too early and sent him packing to pass time. we use a local taxi company and cars immaculate and driver polite and courteous - so shame on you staff! no need to be rude talking down to someone.

Room Tip: we were part of the main building so we felt we had character with our surroundings. The annexe buil...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to learn that you had such an enjoyable weekend at the Oakley Court Hotel. Our Front of House Manager is investigating your comments regarding the situation you witnessed as we certainly do not encourage this type of communication. We have an excellent working relationship with our taxi company whom we have worked with for 30 years. Thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Afternoon Tea we had on the weekend at Oakley Court Hotel has been one of the best yet that we have experienced. Being Afternoon Tea connoisseurs we have tried many different venues and this one is at the top of our list for quality, ambiance and value for money so far. The scones were fresh and very delicious and the other bits were also very nice. The room which we sat in for Afternoon Tea was lovely as it was nicely furnished and had views out to the river. This Afternoon Tea I felt was very good value for money and I would recommend it to others who are wishing to experience a traditional English Afternoon Tea in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Amyskye
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your words of appreciation regarding our afternoon tea. Your feedback is highly valued and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Oakley Court whilst visiting the area for our 10th Wedding Anniversary "foodie" weekend. The hotel itself has a main building which is beautifully gothic and has an interesting history. Our room was in the main house & we found that the reception, bedroom, drawing room & dining room were nicely in keeping with the building's history. The setting is wonderful & we had a lovely walk by the river & around the grounds before we left.

The hotel's location was perfect for us, being a 5 minute taxi journey to Bray but it's also only 10 minutes from Legoland Windsor which set us to think about using it for the family Legoland visits. The taxi costs were surprisingly expensive however- £13 for a 5 minute journey seemed a bit excessive.

Service was good throughout & breakfast had a decent variety of good quality food. The drawing room is perfect for pre-dinner drinks & the prices were reasonable enough.

The only real negative (from my wife) was that the lighting in the bathroom was poor & there was no dressing table with a mirror in the room. Apparently, this doesn't bode well for applying make-up so ladies please note. The bed was also very soft which may not be to all tastes.

Overall though, we were pleasantly surprised by Oakley Court. There is a leisure club which we didn't have time to visit but this, the fact that the public room are so nice & that it is right next to the river with boats for hire would lead me to believe that you could easily have a very relaxing weekend at the hotel without having to go anywhere.

Room Tip: There is a "west wing" to the hotel which is newer and would lack the period features of t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kleb99
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had such an enjoyable anniversary break and we hope to welcome you again on a future occasion.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for a weekend break with family, and was really surprised, hotel comfortable and warm, room spacious with lovely views, they offered a 3 course meal for £25.00 a head which we paid for in advance and were thinking we would need to go to the a la carte menu for some courses, but on the Friday night we were pleasantly surprised the food was really good, the wine was not overpriced, the staff were very friendly and efficient.

A really lovely find - I would return to this hotel again and would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for recommending the Oakley Court Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a gorgeous setting, with lovely helpful staff. My room was spacious, spotless and the view over the gardens and River Thames was fabulous. Breakfast was very good and I overheard a member of staff offering to cook something specially that was not available at the buffet. I stayed there recently for a college reunion and had 2 small problems - the rooms were far too hot at night, and at 1.45 am I got to my room to find my key had been de-activated - with aching feet and a heavy heart I had to return to reception before I could get in to my room. If not for this, I would have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: East Wing river view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wresto4

Thank you for complimenting our good food, rooms and staff - your feedback is much appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the problem you experienced with your room key. We aim to receive 5 stars if you visit again!