“Good short break - would return”
Review of The Oakley Court

The Oakley Court
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good short break - would return”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for a weekend break with family, and was really surprised, hotel comfortable and warm, room spacious with lovely views, they offered a 3 course meal for £25.00 a head which we paid for in advance and were thinking we would need to go to the a la carte menu for some courses, but on the Friday night we were pleasantly surprised the food was really good, the wine was not overpriced, the staff were very friendly and efficient.

A really lovely find - I would return to this hotel again and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for recommending the Oakley Court Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a gorgeous setting, with lovely helpful staff. My room was spacious, spotless and the view over the gardens and River Thames was fabulous. Breakfast was very good and I overheard a member of staff offering to cook something specially that was not available at the buffet. I stayed there recently for a college reunion and had 2 small problems - the rooms were far too hot at night, and at 1.45 am I got to my room to find my key had been de-activated - with aching feet and a heavy heart I had to return to reception before I could get in to my room. If not for this, I would have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: East Wing river view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wresto4
Thank you for complimenting our good food, rooms and staff - your feedback is much appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the problem you experienced with your room key. We aim to receive 5 stars if you visit again!
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Today we ordered lunch in the Bar. The Menu featured terribly expensive food but I was hungry and chose a round of sandwiches at a horrendous £9. Big problem was the half hour wait. Who
ever is in charge at this kitchen.? Gordon Ramsay would have had a range of fresh sandwiches ready film wrapped and ready to serve in 5 mins. M. and S. too. When they came they had tried to be clever by doing 3 deckers -- always a messy idea. They were Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato but totally devoid of taste and quite boring. The accompanying Crisps were very dull and the salad came with no dressing . I asked for a little vinaigrette and a big jug of mainly oil appeared. You just need a teaspoonful with a lovely hint of Balsamic and good Oil. Really, a couple of good warm Paninis would have been better . The day before I had a great salad then wonderful Ribs and Chicken with Fries for £9 at a Harvester. Would rather repeat that than the Oakley`s offering. Needs more thought. The last time I ate here they served Steak and Kidney with Lettuce and Gravy !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rosamunwhite
We aim to provide high quality food and exceptional levels of customer service and we are always concerned if we do not meet customer expectations - please accept my apologies. Your comments have been forwarded to my team as we value constructive feedback.
Thank you for your review.
Southampton
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Oakley Court has a great atmosphere and our visit just happened to coinside with a very posh highland wedding which would have been appreciated more had we been one of the guests.
However the beautiful grounds set alongside the Thames had ample space to find peace and quiet when needed.
Our room was in the east wing which was comfortable with views of the well kept gardens.
The resaurant was a little dated but seved good food and the afternoon tea on the terrace was exceptional, if we met one couple that travel from Brighton regularly just for the experience.
I have nothing but praise for the staff and the hotel, I just wish they could have built it just a little closer to Windsor

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your gracious compliments relating to the hotel and our team members. As you have correctly stated we have many regular guests and we hope to welcome you again in the not too distant future.
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at this fabulous hotel. We had booked a river view room and got a great room on the top floor in the mansion itself with a great view across the gardens and the their own mooring on the river Thames. Tranquil.

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. The room was clean and well appointed with a four poster bed. A picky guest might comment on some of the furniture being chipped in places here and there, but it is antique furniture and it fits in with a gothic mansion so it worked for us. The room was a little cold initially but we soon worked out the heating on the radiator but one has to remember it is a Victorian mansion so large rooms take a bit longer to heat up etc. The bathroom was also clean and I guess it had been refurbished recently; a good drench shower and plenty of room.

The hotel has a main dining room for fine dining and a less formal dining option through the bar in a beautiful room with an adjoining conservatory. I'll review the main dining room separately as it deserves a mention of its own.

The leisure centre looked clean and well appointed; typically we had taken swimming togs etc but never got to use them.

The grounds were well kept and, given the amount of trees in the grounds and the time of year, it was remarkably free of dropped leaves.We had planned a walk around the grounds on our last morning but the weather got the best of us, next time we'll come in the summer.

Its about 10 minutes to drive into Windsor which I'm guessing is the main draw for the hotel and concierge were very helpful in proving a street map and recommendations for parking as it can get very busy very quickly.

Its not a cheap hotel to stay in but I believe we got value for money. We stayed on a B&B basis and had a tremendous breakfast to set us up for the day, a hot buffet breakfast over the weekend and a menu order breakfast mon to fri. We were a little late coming down to breakfast monday morning and with staff clearing tables we didn't order until after breakfast was officially over but the kitchen just took it in their stride and produced a very good eggs benedict for me and an exceptionally well cooked haddock with poached eggs for my wife.

Overall I found the staff had a 'can do' approach to guest services which was refreshing for a 'London' hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a superiod or deluxe river view room, a little more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RAS19, General Manager at The Oakley Court, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer to enjoy and appreciate our beautiful grounds.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good to arrive on a dark evening and be welcomed by a concierge to help with luggage and offer a glass of wine. Comfortable spacious deluxe room in the East Wing, king size bed, two arm chairs and view to the river. All clean and OK, some signs of wear in the bath and door handles, but nothing of concern. Sparse toiletries:no conditioner, you might want to take your own. Hair dryer in bathroom is small funnel on end of tube (which gets too hot) from box on wall, is another small but not v powerful hair dryer in desk drawer in room. Shower a little underpowered and didn't seem to be able to alter temperature, but was comfortably warm. Is good to have tea making equipment including a teapot in room and UHT milk in small fridge. Staff all seemed pleasant and efficient. Bar and sitting areas provided comfortable lounging with friends, very good fresh biscuits given with tea. Restaurant music a little loud for easily conversing at a large table. Food good and enjoyed (scallops, sea bass) but quite expensive, in my opinion. Breakfast buffet was fine, best was hot food cooked to order (eggs benedict); hot buffet on busier breakfast morning had good choice, husband enjoyed hash browns! Spa is short walk outside to separate building, pleasant and comfortably warm pool, good sized towels. Had gone to hotel for a function and hadn't chosen it myself, but would happily go back again.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms in the East wing are v quiet with pleasant view over lawns to the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank IsisMG
Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay with us. My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed there for a reunion and the room was fine. Breakfast was good and the dinner ( for around 150 people) was perfectly acceptable.

Only complaint was the the water in the shower was feeble and not very hot.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I offer my apologies for the problem you experienced with your shower during your stay. I am however pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay despite this isolated incident.