“Weekend in my 'home' town”

The Royal Adelaide Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Windsor
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Weekend in my 'home' town”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Purpose of the visit was to meet my best friend for lunch and show my BF Windsor. The weather was on our side. We were apparently informed that we couldn't book in before 3. We arrived at around 12-15 and our room was ready and available. Parking was allocated for which the charge was £15 per day. We were in the annexe at the back of the hotel. The room was extremely small, the bathroom modern with all amenities. Usual coffee/tea and mini toiletries provided. Two tiny little biscuits on the coffee tray. The shower was warm, pressure was good, and the radiator was on in the bathroom providing nice warm towels. The toilet around the seat area should have been cleaned better. The staff were polite and well groomed. Whilst waiting for my BF in the hotel lobby I did see that the white skirting boards as well as some white painted doors were very badly marked and scuffed. Breakfast was served between 8-10 which we missed. When I called reception they said toast was available but nothing more. It would be nice to have breakfast hours extended over the weekend for weekend travelers. Short distance to the town centre and Windsor castle. Overall service, quality, appearance was good.

Room Tip: The room in the annexe was extremely small, and if there are bigger rooms it would be more comfortab...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on 18/2/14 for 1 night.

We had reserved a car parking space and got parked straight away. The hotel is in a good location in Windsor and easy to find.

Check in was straight forward and the check in staff were welcoming.

We had the four poster room. The room was a decent size, bathroom was a decent size and shower very hot (which is always a good sign)

The bed was very comfy and whole room very clean. Yes there are a couple of water marks on the ceiling (which others have commented on) but it didn't bother me - it's an old building it's bound to happen.

The staff were also very helpful in arranging a taxi for us as we were dining in Bray.

The room does get very hot during the night but there was an air con facility so that was fine.

Breakfast is served in the bar area and was very nice. Plenty of options to choose from including a veggie full English.

All in all I can't complain, this was a pleasant stay for the money we paid £109.00 for two people including breakfast, in a lovely part of Windsor is a bargain really.

I would stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
South Yorkshire
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Parking we prebooked which is a must as you won't find anywhere. Tips for the hotel give guest the car park code prior to arrival as awkward to run in leave car to get a code to park.

Food - was disappointed with the evening meal as expected proper chips from a 4 star not frozen and I found the food very bland. Not good value for money . The breakfast on the other hand was really nice .

Rooms- looked at 2 as first one wwas shower only and both were large so don't understand others comments on small rooms.

Excellent service from who I think is the manager originally from Sheffield, you know who you are whose manner and service was excellent top marks couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed February 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My niece and I booked a coach trip 23 - 27 December last. We had a lovely spacious room in the annexe at the side of the hotel with a view of the street. The internal double glazing ( the hotel is Grade II listed so cannot have modern units) kept the noise and cold out. We had a bath and shower, in a modern bathroom. Other members of our party complained of very small rooms, we had room for a settee and coffee table.
The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and very tasty.The coffee and tea were served in pots and nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel is very close to the Long Walk and is a pleasant stroll into Windsor town centre.
I would recommend the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis, but the evening dinners for our party were disappointing, but that may have been what our coach company paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for room 307, it's lovely.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
penmaen
Reviewed February 3, 2014

How glad I was to have paid extra for a spacious superior room,as I cannot think what an ordinary room looks like ! Our room had only enough room to walk around the furniture and was devoid of any character considering the age of the property. Etched glass in the double glazing meant that we could not see out at all,quite claustrophobic.the shower room,no bath, was quite new,but had no instructions how to use ,a call to reception they didn't know either.Breakfast was very good as was the service,but the bar/dining room lacks character and would benefit from some music playing to give people a little privacy whilst eating.My complaints about the room were met with a shrug.This hotel does not deserve a four star rating.They also make a charge for paying by card!!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest. Many thanks for your recent review of The Royal Adelaide Hotel. I read your comments with disappointment as the room is of a comfortable size, totally refurbished and as explained in your review a brand new bathroom with a powerful shower. The windows have been partly frosted to protect your privacy; however the inner French doors do open allowing you to enjoy the view of the famous Long Walk leading from Windsor Castle to Royal Ascot Race course. I am pleased that you enjoyed our freshly cooked breakfast and can confirm that the music system during your stay was not working as it should, however this has now been repaired giving the restaurant and bar the desired effect. All charges in relation to any of our services are clearly displayed in the hotel lobby, guest compendium and on our/3rd party websites. Yours sincerely Mr. Weiss General Manager
Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We received a last Minute deal at New Years eve and booked superior room. The room was one of the new decorated and everything was o.k. Very clean. Modern shower to walk in etc. The room looked bigger in the Internet, thanks to very good cameras nowadays. I actually called the reception to ask if this is superior room. Well, around London space is rare and sizes are simply smaller..Nevertheless it was fine. Breakfast was very good as well. Everything you need. Continental and english. Yorghurt, cereals, fruits, eggs, Bacon, sausages, beans, toast, jam, butter, Juice, coffee, tea etc.very kind staff, nice, sophisticated atmosphere. Unfortunately parking costs 15 GBP per night, which was expensive. It is really difficult or simply not possible to find a parking somewhere else and Close enough. I haven done 3 Loops. No Chance. We could hear other guest Walking and talking on the aile and above us. It was a bit noisy but it was also New Years Eve...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luftikuss_75
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Hotel booked by coach holiday company but it was not able to cope with a party of 26. Food was awful and staff were not trained to serve satisfactorily. Stayed 23rd - 27th December expecting an excellent 'festive break' - oh dear! nothing festive about it - could play scrabble or dominoes in the lounge but lounge closed from Christmas Eve until Boxing Day for a private function. Manager NOT available for whole of stay. Bedrooms and bathrooms extremely small and my bedroom had broken radiator and heating via air conditioner not available until been there for 2 days, Whole experience was awful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sandra D
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your feedback I am however very disappointed to hear the comments you have made and would like to take this opportunity to respond to you concerns raised.
For the past 4 years we have been successfully looking after the coach party at Christmas time and this year was the lowest number we had (26) – the hotel and its staff are used to look after larger groups including coach parties for up to 170 guests.
I personally was on duty (welcome speech on the bus if you remember, including taking delivery of your bags and serving sherry and wine on check in) and for the whole stay myself and the duty management team where here to look after your needs. On check out I personally made sure that your bags got taken down for the driver for departure.
I am able to confirm that there was a range of games to play (including a selection of card and board games) and that the professionally hosted bingo and race night was enjoyed by most of the party.
I am pleased to confirm that we had numerous comments about the excellent quality of our food and service including some thank you cards which I have passed on to the staff who have been working very hard over the festive period to look after the party concerned including some guests with very special needs.

Sincerely

Mr. Weiss

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels