“Very disappointed expected better, very poor”

The Royal Adelaide Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed one night in December and based on that experience I will not return. The two rooms I was offered were simply dirty and stained. Carpets had stains and the second room had a very unpleasant stain on the counterpane!! In my opinion disgusting. What I could not rationalise was that the carpets were covered in dust around the edge of the room, is there no vacuum at the hote!. House keeping and attention to detail was very very poor, can't they wash bed covers. If I was the manager I would be ashamed that it was so obviously below the expectations . Car parking was also £15 per night for a very small car park with no direct entrance to the hotel. On the night in question there was a private party in the dining room so even for residents this was off limits; this was not mentioned at the time of booking. Poor experience. Other Best Westerns I have stayed in put this hotel to shame. I was booked in for the week but cancelled. I drew these issues to the on duty manager who assured me that the hotel was regularily cleaned, I assured her that according the evidence regularily was obviously not enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for your review posted on the trip advisor site.
As always it would have been preferential for me to speak to you personally during your stay enabling me to listen to your concerns and hopefully turning a negative into a positive experience.

Clearly I was concerned to read the various comments you made in your review, and would firstly like to extend my apologies to you that your visit was a disappointment.
The issues in reference to the cleanliness of your bedroom have been fully discussed with our housekeeping team and I can report back that we have just completed a professional carpet clean in the whole hotel.
Parking in Windsor is a real problem and such I am pleased to let you know that we offer a pay and reserve car parking scheme here at the hotel. The Price of £15 is per car per night and represents the cheapest hotel car park in Windsor.
We pride ourselves with genuine hospitality, great service and good food and can only assure you that your comments have been taken fully on board.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of December as a Family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 4) as a Christmas treat for my family. This was in no way a treat. Parking charge of £15 per night was a bit steep anyway. The route to our room was through the main Function Room and up the stairs, with our room being located directly above ! Hmmm - an Abba Tribute night was advertised for the weekend of our stay - luckily this did not take place !!
The room was so small we could hardly fit in the door with our bag. There was a converted sofa bed shoved up against one wall for my eldest child and the smallest child was expected to sleep on a "put you up bed" shoved practically under the desk in the bedroom. This left no actual floor space to walk around !! The bathroom was also not very clean. The window could also have been easily opened by a child and was rotten. In no way was this a family room - BEWARE WHEN BOOKING.
We also had to complain about the noise coming from directly above our room on the first night. This trip was so bad we cut it short and returned home the next day for some sleep !

Room Tip: Be aware that this is an old building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very well located hotel with nooks and crannies of an old building. Well maintained with a delightful staff that was very helpful. A little bit of a walk from the castle, but on a lovely street, across from the long walk.
Room was a bit small but clean.

Room Tip: There are no lifts in this hotel so ask for a room that uses the back staircase - less stairs to cli...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business for a night and for that purpose it wasn't at all bad. It's fairly easy to find with sat nav and if you book in time the (charged) carpark is necessary as there's absolutely no on street parking in the area.

The lady who checked me in looked a tad inconvenienced by my arrival but I was soon in my (small) double room. Minor gripes in the room would be dirty teaspoon on the hospitality tray and a large patch of mould on the bathroom wall and having the bed butted up against the wall on one side was a little strange.

A rather more important moan would be the radiator in my room being turned off and the receptionist on duty that evening seemingly not knowing how to set my rooms air con unit to heat the room. The bathroom was also very cold with secondary double glazing not fitted and a heated towel rail that wasn't up to the job! Additionally the hotel is on finals for Heathrow so expect aircraft noise if the winds in the right / wrong direction.

I ate in the bar that evening and the burger and chips was fantastic, £4.80 for a pint of beer however was (in my opinion) disgustingly overpriced.

For all my moans above I slept well and breakfast was ok although I only had cereal and toast and (luke warm) coffee.

To sum up a bit more attention to detail in the rooms and looking again at bar prices and I'd be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Adelaidehotel, General Manager at The Royal Adelaide Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Guest.
Many thanks for your review and your valued feedback. All your comments have been taken extremely seriously and will be included in this week’s departmental discussion and on behalf of my team can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.
On a positive note I read with delight that you have enjoyed your dinner with us.
I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to write as it is only by such constructive comments we can ensure our normal high standards are being maintained. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Adelaide Hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Recently spent just one night whilst visiting the area.Four star,not sure just a few little things need adressing. the room was incredibly cold due to the curtains covering the radiators and the air con which supposedly could be used to heat the room didnt work,until reception turned the central control on! No cold water in the basin, a problem with the boiler apparently.The staff were very helpful and polite. Parking is an extra £15.Very easy walking into Windsor.I had an evening sandwich at £9 plus £5 surcharge.Well made and enought for 2.Very comfortable bed and lovely pillows.
Yes I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed one week there. Although my room was small, it was comfortable and cozy. The hotel is central to many places within Windsor. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel has a nice dining room and parlor/conference room. They have a varied breakfast and dinner menu. The food was delicious. The only drawbacks were the stairs, which are a challenge for me and I couldn't get cell phone reception in my room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Travelbug352
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Pros:
1) Good price!
2) Staff there is really helpful and nice. I needed a charger for my mobile and Stephanie, one of the staff members, lent me hers. Also, she was able to find another room for me, because my original room was very small.
3) Room seervice: food is good!
4) Bedroom really clean.
Cons:
1) Small stairs, they don't have elevator (of course, because this is an old building)
2) My "original" room was too small for me. It was the room located on the first floor, near the lobby. Luckly they had another room available for the same price, which was located on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: I got a room on the 1st floor it was too small. Try to book a room located on 2nd or 3rd floor. Howe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo