“Very nearly perfect”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sevenoaks
“Very nearly perfect”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am particularly fussy when it comes to hotels so i was delighted with the Macdonald at Windsor.
My partner and I stayed for one night last week and the service was superb, right through from the valet parking, check-in and check out.
The room was perfectly clean, bed was super comfortable and the room was delightful with a view of the Castle.
The only thing that let it down was the "southern fried chicken" in the restaurant. That was overpriced and average quality.
If you want a great hotel, with terrific service in the centre of Windsor, I would highly recommend this. Just avoid the fried chicken in the restaurant!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Superior room.
1 Thank Steve M
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hotel overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with the southern fried chicken dish you experienced in the restaurant. I would like to assure you that I have discussed your feedback with our Head Chef, who has asked especially to be associated with my apology. A review is underway with the team to ensure that any similar lapses cannot be repeated and I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

Thank you for the recommendation - we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Have to say this Hotel and Restaurant are first class !
Great Location
The staff are all very friendly and the food ( Lemon Sole ) is great value and amazing !
Parking underground is separate and quite costly so be careful ( Lots of public car parks though )
Well done keep up the high standards

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ken L
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit your review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly your dining experience. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We appreciate such a helpful review, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bath
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part if a surprise!

We have eaten here a few times before but never stayed.

The welcome from the reception team was fantastic! We were checked in by Adele who was very professional, helpful and knowledgeable of the local area!

Went out around town during the afternoon and popped back in for a light late lunch in the lounge area near Reception. Service and food were fantastic as always.

Our Executive room was very spacious and clean definitely worth upgrading. Room only had a walk in shower but that was fine because it was huge!!!

Dinner was great good steaks on offer definitely a must if you are a meat lover!
The addition of the steak club fridge where you can see certain steaks before ordering is great! Service was quick and efficient yet still friendly and personal!

Breakfast in the morning was the one and only let down for us, we were allocated a table quickly but that was it we received no other contact with staff, even after trying to get their attention! They were busy but there seemed to be a serious lack of organization!
But like i said this was the one and only let down!

We will still recommend this hotel and continue to visit on a regular basis!!

Room Tip: upgrade to an executive if you can they are great!
1 Thank CoatesBath
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay with us overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with the slow service you experienced at breakfast. I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards of service. Your feedback has been addressed with the team to ensure that any similar lapses cannot be repeated and I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

Thank you for the recommendation - we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night a few weeks ago. The hotel is lovely with decent size bedrooms and luxury bedding. the breakfast was very nice although they did seem short staffed at breakfast. The location is perfect just in front of the castle. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimberleyZara
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

This is a high class establishment... Fabulous location opposite windsor castle..... I arrived super early in the morning after a flight into Heathrow... Expecting to drop bags and wander I was very impressed with the service of the night manager who checked me in and gave me access to our room at 0630- above and beyond!! I was then able to refresh and hop on a train into London from the nearby station.
The restaurant onsite had great food and was super convenient if a little pricey. We found a cafe next door for breakfast and set off on our UK adventure very refreshed after a comfy nights sleep. Recommend A++++

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location and the service from our Night Manager.

Thank you for the recommendation - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

York
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I returned to the hotel this weekend two years after our original visit the night before we jetted off on our honeymoon. Our first stay was fabulous, a complimentary upgrade and a completely memorable experience, our second visit even better! We arrived on Sunday and had been given another complimentary upgrade, the room was amazing! In the oldest part of the hotel it had such character but was still very luxurious, under floor heating in the bathroom is a lovely touch. You are given fluffy robes and slippers to relax in which while a small touch, it's these small things that add up to the luxury feel of the hotel. The staff had left us a "welcome back" card in the room and two lovely cupcakes which we felt was rather lovely. Breakfast was also fabulous, a great choice and the staff are extremely attentive. Friends of ours living in Windsor have eaten here in the evening and said it was fab. So all in all, another fabulous stay, we will definitely be back!

1 Thank Sian T
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your second stay with us, in particular the service from the team, your room and breakfast experience. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We have just returned from this hotel. We were able to check in early and make the most of our stay, very happy! The car was valet parked for us so we got on with our day! We returned at 3pm and ordered afternoon tea! Wow! Fab! Only complaint, we couldn't eat it all! As has been mentioned in other reviews, the staff are very helpful and friendly and you start relaxing very quickly. You feel very looked after. We had a lovely room, comfy bed, fridge, bath robes. We would stay here again. Negatives; slow service at breakfast, drench shower, hand held, not easy to use. The hotel is in a great location, opposite the castle, shops all around, plenty of eateries.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel could be noisy, right on the high street. We were at the back, very quiet.
1 Thank 846Tina54
Dear Guest

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the helpfulness of the staff. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.