“Wonderful hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at this hotel over my boyfriend's birthday and had a wonderful stay. We were greeted on arrival by very friendly reception staff. We were swiftly checked into our room and the room we were given was of a very high standard. The hotel has recently been refurbished and is stunning! The room was spacious, much bigger than it looked in the photos, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had an amazing waterfall shower that I could have spent hours in! There's a really cosy bar area downstairs with lots of comfy sofas and a really good selection of wines. We had breakfast delivered to our room and it was delivered on time and piping hot. The location was perfect and right in the centre of Windsor.
My only criticism is the hotel's car park situation. The hotel car park was full when we arrived so we had to park a good 10min walk away in a long stay car park. If you want to park in the hotel prebooking is a must.
I spend a lot of time in hotels with work and have to say this was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a very long time. Should we need to stay in the Windsor area we would return to this hotel without question.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate the helpful details you provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed 24th.& 25th. December to have Christmas with my Mum who lives in Windsor.

Lovely hotel with wonderful staff, great breakfast selection, a terrific bar and our room was a perfect size for my wife and I, although I've met better showers than that one!
Not cheap, but for special occasions, damn near perfect. The location is the clincher though, directly outside the Castle gates, WOW.

My only negative, although I didn't use it, is the parking. A serious problem. Difficult to find and at £28.................. Robbery. But parking in Windsor is a serious problem!!

Room Tip: No tips as our room was for sleeping in only. No view but it was unimportant to us. Comfortable bed...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly the service from the team, our breakfast selection and your room.

I was however sorry to note that you were disappointed with the parking charge. Parking is limited in Windsor, and we offer a full valet service. We would never intentionally hide our costs, and offer parking as an additional option when guests book with us. By pre-booking a parking space, we can assure guests of a smoother and easier arrival experience with porterage.

I do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Booked 50th birthday treat for Xmas eve, partner asked for an upgrade via email when we got to the hotel the friendly receptionist informed us our room has been upgraded.
Our room was lovely with a view to the high street I do agree with other comments room was bit cold but managed to work out the heating controls.
Had planned to go shopping in WIndsor and out to lunch parked the car in hotel car park thought price was high but was a treat car park assistant was very courteous all was going well....
Decided to go ice skating (wot a mistake!) was skating round quite happy when disaster struck fell over onto my arm felt a snap and the pain hit me partner was happily showing off his skating skills not even noticing me on the floor trying to get up some guy helped me to the side had to try skate a lap before partner came over thelped me off I was in agony they were convinced at rink that I had sprained it and gave me Ice pack! The walk back to hotel was agonising felt sick and dissy the reception staff told us the nearest A&E is Slough got there and my fears we confermed on the X ray arm is broken they had to yank my rings off as fingers had swelled so much and bracelet taken off
4 hours later got back to hotel was very hungry had missed our dinner plans as was now late the reception suggested bar menu then a member of staff a young lady who had friends or family sitting in reception area said we could have chicken and chips music to my partners ears! We enjoyed a lovely meal
Was in a lot of pain so did not have any sleep very hard trying to sleep sitting up with cast and sling staff brought me extra pillows and we're very kind
Next morning we had breakfast very good choice of continental and cooked delicious did agree with another comment that air conditioning was cold and did sit with jacket on
To sum it up fantastic hotel location wonderful staff but ruined birthday
When home I could not find my jewelry was searching everywhere after couple days called hotel to see if anyone had handed it in reception said that housekeeping would look and call back three hours later head of housekeeping called back to say they have not found the rings
Was very upset that I had lost jewelrey then low and behold found in boot car was very strange was in so much pain must have put in pocket and fell out in boot

Experience at hotel would have been fantastic hope to go back

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest

I was so sorry that you had such a disappointing birthday due to your fall at the ice rink. I really hope that your arm is starting to feel better.

We would like to welcome you back for a complimentary stay when you have recovered so that you can experience the birthday celebration you hoped for. Please contact me on gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I can make the arrangements for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed here for one night for a friends birthday yest we only live 20 miles way. The food is great and so are the room. From the moment you check in to the moment you leave. One thing did stand out for me was a young guy called Matt who check us in Matt was the refreshing face from most hotels. He was able to spend time having a chat while he checked us in unlike most hotels who are robots. He was warm towards us and so good at he job. He told us where we need to go in Windsor and and the only down fall was he was not able to check me and my wife out of the hotel. If you stay here you will love it and if matt meets you. You know you are in safe hands

Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn how well you were looked after by Matt and I know that he will feel extremely encouraged to receive your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards

Ruislip
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have just arrived home from a lovely 1 night stay at this hotel for my Birthday.
This hotel is wonderful, very welcoming, the room and hotel were very clean, the staff are so polite, helpful and friendly.
We took our dog with us too, her name is Samantha and she is a Welsh Collie, it was like we had a film star with us! Everybody made a fuss of her, the staff always wanted to know if she was ok, bringing her water at every opportunity, the other guest's were also pleased to see her, stroking her every chance they got, it was great.
We had a meal in the hotel restaurant last night, the food was excellent, steaks were cooked to perfection, and the wine was very reasonably priced. Our breakfast this morning was perfect, lots of Coffee, toast and a full English.
I can honestly say that we were treated like royalty in the Royal town of Windsor, and we will definitely be returning asap.

Thank you for a lovely time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JulesPaulRuislip
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you had such an enjoyable visit, and that Samantha was treated so well! We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best wishes

Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed in Macdonald Windsor Hotel for three nights over Christmas having selected the hotel after reading about it on Trip Advisor. The hotel is in a great location for those who like town centres being directly opposite the Castle and in the midst of the great shops on offer in Windsor. However, town centre comes at a price for those arriving by car and the hotel car parking fees at £28 per day were extortionate (although the sign showed full so maybe some people don't mind) however as it was a bank holiday there were plenty of free parking spaces nearby so didn't cause us an issue. The room and bathroom were spacious, clean and well presented with good facilities. What I really liked about this hotel were the staff, without execption they were helpful and friendly. We witnessed an extremely rude woman (not a guest just someone who came in asking for info) treating two of the staff in a highly inappropriate and aggressive manner and they handled the situation beautifully remaining calm and helpful throughout (I think I would have pushed her out of the door!). So well done Macdonald staff and we will be back next time in Windsor.

Dear Guest

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team helpful.

I was sorry to note that you were disappointed with the parking charge. Parking is limited in Windsor, and we offer a full valet service. We would never intentionally hide our costs, and offer parking as an additional option when guests book with us. By pre-booking a parking space, we can assure guests of a smoother and easier arrival experience with porterage.

I am glad that you found alternative free parking and that it did not effect your stay - we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

You actually can't get any closer to the heart of Windsor than this hotel - it's on the High Street so lots of shopping (whether you're into TK Maxx or antiques) are right on the doorstep. The castle is literally across the street (we had a pretty good view of the town and a bit of the castle from our room) and if you fancy a stroll the Long Walk is, well, just a short walk away.

What makes this hotel really special though (and take it from someone who spends a lot of time in the capital for both personal and business trips) is the staff. Wonderfully welcoming, nothing too much trouble, full of local knowledge and willing to stop and just have a general chitchat with you. Adele and the team made it one of the best weekends away in a long time.

Breakfast also pretty good - often don't find a decent vegetarian option in hotels, but this was an exception. Didn't have time to spend any time in the bar, but is the kind of place you could happily stop for a drink even if you weren't staying there - a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

All in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

It is great to know that the team were so welcoming, particularly Adele - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes