“If you're going to Windsor, this will do the trick”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
West Mids
“If you're going to Windsor, this will do the trick”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed for one night and was very pleased with it. The hotel looks very nice and the staff are friendly and helpful- especially the concierges. The rooms we had were large, clean and nicely decorated. Location is fantastic, directly opposite Windsor Castle and bang in the centre for browsing the shops or passing an hour or two in the park. The station looked like it was pretty close too so I'm sure you can get there easily by train. It's very family friendly as well- worth considering if you're taking the kids to Legoland or wherever. The food was good- we had dinner in the bar in the evening and the breakfast selection was decent. One food related gripe... didn't think much of their Eggs Benedict. They charge extra for it, on top of the breakfast rate. Not a problem if it tastes nice- I'll always order it in a hotel and I'm happy to pay if I don't have to cook it and wash up. The eggs weren't runny though, and that's the whole point surely?
Anyway, I know what you're thinking: if that's all you have to worry about, you're not doing too badly.
Any other remarks? For a weekend away with a significant other, you might want to look further afield. For me it falls slightly more into the business/corporate hotel category, and there's no pool or spa or anything, so if you want to go somewhere for indulgence and pampering and all that sort of business, this might not be for you. There's lots of hotels I would stay in purely for the sake of staying there, but I don't think this is one of them. You're not going to fall in love with this hotel but I think it fits the bill very nicely for what it is. The staff are great, the rooms are nice, the location is excellent. I think it's a good hotel and if you're planning a trip to Windsor it's definitely worth a look.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear fickleWestMids

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, however was sorry to learn of your disappointment with the Eggs Benedict you experienced at breakfast. Your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and I have discussed your comments with our Head Chef so that he may ensure that similar disappointment could not be repeated.

I appreciate your detailed and helpful review and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I just wanted to take a minute to say what a fantastic stay we had at your hotel over this bank holiday weekend
From the valet service, to the wonderful glass of bubbles and delicious sharing platter we received after check in.
The staff were friendly and pleasant from the moment we arrived right the way through until breakfast and check out.
The executive suite we had was beautifully presented with lots of little finishing touches that made the whole experience a delight.

I can honestly say we did not want to leave and look forward to coming back for another stay soon
I shall also be recommending to family and friends

Room Tip: Exec suite
Dear Ania K

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

NY
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed 4 nights and had mixed feelings. Some good and some bad. Good-newish hotel, told it was started in 2010. All furniture and fixtures new and put inside old buildings. Location so close to the castle and train station. Walk to shops and restaurants. Breakfast and dinner in hotel, Calley tasty. Concierge useful with taxis and luggage. They provided extra bed for no charge. Bad-check in was not smooth. Requested early check in but nothing available till about noon, and did not feel staff was sympathetic about our situation. During this time, I could hear several departing clients complaining about the final bill. Some were bills from the restaurant and others about the credit given if booked from the web site. On departure, I was not given the credit for booking directly from them, but the 10 pound fee would cover my late departure. They bill 10 pounds per hour if you check out late. No gym, pool and expansive parking. Minibar with sensors means you cannot store things there. In summary, I do not feel this is a 4 or 5 star hotel with the can do spirit. They prefer to tell you what the hotel policy is than to do that something extra to make you want to return.

Room Tip: Seems rooms to x20 face the front.
Dear yapmd

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you experienced during your recent stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I would like to assure you that your experience is not at all reflective of our usual feedback and I will be personally completed a retraining programme with the team so that your experience could not be repeated.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed our location and the food you experienced and hope that with my reassurance, you will return to the Macdonald Windsor. Do contact me direct when you are planning a visit and I would be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you.

Warm regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights over bank holiday weekend and have to say was really pleased with my choice of hotel
The macdonald is perfectly situated in windsor , opposite the castle around the corner from all the shopping areas and a five min stroll to either of the stations in windsor
Room was spotless and full of all the amenities you would require for a short break...bed was big and very comfortable
Wi-fi was free and really fast
Breakfast was filling and of a good standard and tea/coffee refills were dealt with quickly and efficiently
Bathroom was spacious and well equipped
Overall the macdonald hotel is a perfect choice for a break in windsor and the hotel comes strongly recommended

Dear smithy69uk

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location, your bedroom and breakfast experience.

Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Wokingham
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked for a very short stay so didn't make full use of this lovely hotel. Excellent location as directly across the road from the castle.
Booked parking so was greeted by the concierge who parked my car as well as delivered our luggage. He couldn't have been friendlier and was a pleasant surprise after spending the weekend in the North so was expecting a slightly cooler welcome. Went back a couple of times to get stuff out of car and nothing was a problem for him. Great service.
The room was very nice as expected with a great shower. Checkout very quick also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear rhart75

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the location and bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The whole reservation experience got off to a fab start with a very helpful central reservation operator. She volunteered information not available on the hotel website and ensured we got interconnecting rooms for us and the children, and sourced a valid promotion code to help reduce the bill slightly (as there were no family rooms available, and we were going to have to book elsewhere)!

The hotel is very centrally located, opposite the castle, quite busy directly outside, and parking is as usual very limited in Windsor town centre. We didn't park at the hotel as we were visiting friends nearby and left the car at their house, so can't comment on the parking fees. But ideally located within walking distance for many of the tourist attractions, so once parked not too much of an issue I wouldn't have thought...

On arrival the reception staff, porters and concierge were all very helpful and friendly. It's good to be greeted with a smile after a 4.5 hour car journey with children!

The promised inter connecting rooms were immaculate, very comfortable and superbly appointed to the standard you would expect from a Macdonald hotel.

The choice at breakfast is second to none, even with a fussy eater. Slight mix up with the vegetarian breakfast, due mainly to the majority of the staff not speaking English as their first language I think, but quite quickly and efficiently rectified once pointed out.

I would definitely stay again.

Dear Anthonyangel

Thank you for submitting your review of your experience following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I enjoyed reading your review and appreciate the helpful details you provided. It is lovely to receive feedback of this nature and the team are always encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

London

Visited Windsor for Horse Racing and stayed at Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Fantasy location opposite the castle with great bar and dinning facilities!
Staff friend and nothing was too much trouble
Execellent room

Room Tip: Ask for Room opposite castle when making your booking
Dear Paul G

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the service from the team and your room. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!