Macdonald Windsor Hotel
$89
$65
TripAdvisor
3,053 results
All reviewsvalet parkingcupcakesopposite the castlelovely hotelcar parkhigh streetperfect locationcooked breakfastmini barweekend breakwould highly recommend this hotellovely touchexecutive roomfantastic staylovely roombreakfast was excellentstayed for one night
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I remember Windsor 15 years ago with its run down shops and hotels, and a feel that the town was going down the route of being just a big tourist attraction. Since then renovations have flourished around the high street and that hotel has proven to be a very good surprise. Great location first of all, right at the front of the castle and next to the restaurant scene, the rooms are smallish but well appointed. The surprise comes from the breakfast room and a very decent choice of hot and cold dishes, supported by impeccable service that makes it stand out of any other business hotel at that price within a few miles. I stayed 3 times and will be back.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Frankieandcharl

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you and you enjoyed the location and breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed with partner for 3 nights, the lounge and reception area were very pleasant and we were greated well by the receptionist. The room was beautiful, the beds were comfy, the bathroom was lovely, everything was going good until i turned the tv off to go to bed, i could hear some kind of water in the pipes in our room and it drove me nuts, went to reception at 1am told them im a light sleeper and when i spend almost 400 pound for a hotel the last thing i expect is to hear water pipe sounds all night long, they said we can move u to another room so they did. This room was right next to some kind of air vent outside which was on all night, also i was woken by some one from the castle hotel next door crashing trolleys at 7am outside. Went to reception told them i dont want to be near the air vent and i dont want to hear people crashing trollies early morning. They upgraded my room to the executive room as they could see i was unhappy, this room was incredibly pretty n spacious, however it just mite be the noisiest room ive ever stayed in, we could hear doors smashing every 20 seconds all over the corridor and even further away we could feel the doors closing from other peoples rooms. Crash Bang Wallop was the theme of day. There was no peace for us, i told the receptionist all i want is a room away from the noise in a quiet part of the hotel is this too much to ask? I was transferrd to another room and guess what, the same issue as the first room, water pipe sounds constantly, at this point i wanted to cry, my partner was becoming very fed up she even said lets check out and leave. The constant changing of the rooms and moving our bags was driving us insane. I spoke to the manager Gary who was very pleasant and understanding, i told him my situation and he said he would find me a quiet room, he did and we moved again, however he came and told us we would have to move from that room tomorrow as someone else had alredy pre booked that room, u can imagine how we felt at this point, however he said he would upgrade us to the suite room which was the best room in the hotel at no extra charge. We checked in to the suite at 1pm the next day and all i can say is, this room was absolutly stunning, huge with ample space, 4 windows, massive bed, bath tube walk in shower, 2 sinks, it was perfect. The room was simply breath taking. No noisey pipes, no doors banging from outside corridor, no noise from outside. This almost made up for the other two nights but it was just too much to forget about.

Another thing i want to add is, i was told the bathroom haf heated flooring but when we arrived in the rooms this wasnt the case. The receptionist named " becky" said she would speak to her manager and get back to us but she never did.

To some things up, the hotel is gorgous, even though i went insane with all the moving around i cannot deny the rooms were beautiful, all of the ones we stayed in. The pipe sounds were very annoying especially after spending upto close to 400 pound on a room, this was the last thing i expected.

Breakfast was nice, service was good.

• Stayed: May 2013
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Nav1984

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

May I sincerely apologise for the disruption you were caused during your stay. I was horrified to learn that you experienced so many room changes in order to receive a good nights sleep and I will be reviewing the noise issues you encountered with our Maintenance Manager to ensure that any future disturbance could be avoided. I was delighted to note that you were pleased with your upgraded room and that this, in some way, made up for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that with my reassurance, you will return to the Macdonald Windsor. Do contact me direct when you are planning a visit and I would be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Macdonald Windsor to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Having stayed in several Windsor hotels, this is certainly the best of the bunch, it is ideally situated opposite the castle, and the quality and comfort of the rooms is very high. We ate in the Caleys restaurant for dinner and had excellent steaks, cooked to perfection, breakfast was also very good.

However, our stay was somewhat let down by frequent mistakes in the service, no one issue a major deal, but put together it suggests the hotel needs to focus a bit more on attention to detail – for example: I booked a space in their underground car park by email and received confirmation, on arrival they had no record of our reservation and we had a few minutes of dithering before they eventually accepted our car (after I produced the confirmation email); I had booked pre-theatre dinner for 6pm, at check-in we were advised they had made a reservation for 7pm; at breakfast we ordered brown toast, they brought white toast, I ordered hot chocolate, they brought me tea, I ordered black pudding with my breakfast, it came without. Well – you get the idea.

It did not really spoil our stay, in fact we amused ourselves trying to second guess what they would get wrong next, and we would happily stay there again, but a hotel of this quality (and price) should really do better with their front of house service, after all that is one of the main things you are paying for.

Room Tip: Feature rooms at the fromt of the hotel have views of the castle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DaveA_UK

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with some of the service you experienced during your recent stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and I will be personally completing a retraining programme with the team so that your experience could not be repeated.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed our location and food and hope that with my reassurance, you will return to the Macdonald Windsor. Do contact me direct when you are planning a visit and I would be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I found the staff to be amongst the friendliest and most helpful of any of the hotels I have stayed at in the UK. Room was lovely and very clean.

Only complaint is that the carpark charge is a little high.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shil0123

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team helpful and friendly.

I was sorry to note that you were disappointed with the parking charge. Parking is limited in Windsor, and we offer a full valet service. We would never intentionally hide our costs, and offer parking as an additional option when guests book with us. By pre-booking a parking space, we can assure guests of a smoother and easier arrival experience with porterage.

I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed May 19, 2013

From second we arrived we were treat like royalty, nothing was too much trouble and staff made a fuss of our 3 year old little girl which put us at ease as some upper class hotels can be very off putting. Our room was gorgeous, beautiful bathroom with big deep bath and extremely powerful shower above. We only ate at hotel for breakfast which couldn't be faulted, so much choice for us and our little one. Very very pricey menu and thought the tray charge for room service was bit unnecessary. Couldn't get any better for location, opposite Windsor castle and round corner from royal shopping mall, full of gorgeous little shops, coffee bars and restaurants. 5 min drive away from Lego land which was our main reason for visit to Windsor, wish I'd known how easy it was to get into London from our hotel (40mins on train which is round the corner) perfect stay, very much recommend this lovely hotel, only suggestion would be to have an indoor pool. Hope to stay gain soon!

Room Tip: Can't remember which room we stayed in but when booking requested an extra bed for our little girl, which was at the of our bed and we still had plenty of room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear DanielleRobo

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you particularly enjoyed your room, but that you also received helpful service from the team.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back!