“Excellent service and beautiful rooms”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Norwich
“Excellent service and beautiful rooms”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed a night and loved the hotel. Great location, attentive, helpful and polite staff. Our request for early check in was acknowledged and our rooms were ready by 11.30. They were modern, very clean and comfortable. we ate in the restaurant as was too cold to venture out! we had superb steaks, pies and Puds! All reasonable prices for good hotel. Our car was parked and upon checking out staff loaded our car whilst we went out for the day. All in all we highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: We had adjoining rooms on 3rd floor. 323 & 325. Excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear H&TNorwich

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family and i had a very special occassion to attend and booked three rooms plus another for a couple of friends for two nights - when booking we enquired about an upgrade for ourselves and chatted about the special nature of our visit and the need for a 'special' room with more space we paid £80 extra for an executive room - when we arrived we were shown the room and although it was nicely decorated it was quite small - we visited our parents to find that the basic room was much bigger room for a lounge table and chairs which ours didn't, it had a bath and shower as opposed to our shower only and all the equipment that ours had - we thought there was a mistake but third room was the same and our friends room - it appears ours just had a front street view and if you strained your neck you could see the outside wall of windsor castle as we had so much booked in for our stay i did not complain and i didn't want to spoil the trip for my husband but i was bitterly disappointed and slightly embarrassed - in the room there was a comment card from the previous guests which had not been collected there comments mirrored my feelings.

Room Tip: dont pay extra - standard rooms are far better
1 Thank 240kathyc
Dear 240kathyc

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent celebration stay with family and friends.

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with your executive room. Our rooms at the front of the hotel are very popular due to the view and I am sorry that you had been hoping for a more spacious room. I appreciate that you did not wish to mention this at the time however we would have been pleased to arrange an alternative for you had we been aware of your disappointment.

I do hope this will not deter you from returning to the hotel and we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We just returned from 2 day break with our 2 kids. Staff were really friendly and they all provided an excellent service. Always ready to help and please. Hotel was clean and staff welcoming. Heated flooring in the bathroom. Superb. No bath but we this was no disappointment. Shower room spacious. Ideal location. It was across the road from Windsor Castle. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Zab1en
Dear Zab1en

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in the Windsor area. They were quite accomodating to our family traveling with young children. Onsite restaurant was nice and reasonably priced. Buffet breakfast the next morning was included and was well worth it. Most importantly, our three year old son got sick while at the hotel and the hotel/housekeeping staff went above and beyond to launder his clothes (in time to have his coat back the next morning) and ensure that we had everything needed to help to ease his stay.

Thank you to the staff for the outstanding service.

Dear Amanda P

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well - particularly with regards to your sons clothes - I do hope he is feeling better.

It was a pleasure to hear about your positive experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.

Dublin
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on a short trip to Windsor to vist friends there. Usually stayed at the Manor in Datchet or the old Castle Hotel, but was pleasantly surprised with the standards at the MacDonald Windsor. Friendly and efficient at check in - room was very well appointed - no bath - but made up for with excellent walk in shower. Not much of a view, but wasnt expecting that! The bed was gloriously comfortable. Took breakfast in my room each morning and it was very good. Everything on tray and promptly delivered. Only one minor hiccup in the service in the bar on the Saturday night - the barman was quite dismissive when I went to order and made me go and sit down before waiting for him for 5 mins to come back at which point I had to give the order again. Wouldnt have been a big issue, but he wasnt doing anything and I was in a hurry as I was going out to meet friends. All resolved though as I have just received an email back from the hotel thanking me for the feedback which I had given on the form left in the room. I am putting this down as an isolated incident and deducting no marks. Overall, would totally recommend the hotel and woudl certainly choose to stay here again. Had dinner in the Castle hotel on Saturday night and have to say the service was very poor so I was pleased I was staying in MacDonalds!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet if you dont mind not having a view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MRTL

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your stay with us.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hotel overall, however may I apologise for your disappointment with the slow service you received in the bar. This has been addressed with the team to ensure that any similar lapses cannot be repeated and I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.

Thank you for the recommendation - we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 3, 2013

For the purpose of attending IEC meetings in Windsor, my wife and I stayed at the Macdonald Windsor hotel. It was a great experience. The room was comfortable and the friendly staff kept it clean and well maintained. Tom, the concierge, was very helpful as he provided excellent information to my wife, for tours that she and I could take on my two days off. We did have a discrepancy in the departure date and room rate. But Becky and Kelly at the front desk were very kind and helpful in making the corrections. Without a doubt we will stay at the Macdonald Windsor hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear ASLOG

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by our concierge and the front office team.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

South Wales
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My partner and I decided to visit Windsor Castle as she is a staunch royalist and loves anything to do with the Queen. Secret Escapes were offering a really good deal on this hotel so we decided to have an overnight stay. We were not disappointed as this is an excellent five star hotel. The staff were excellent, the room was extremely comfortable and well appointed. We ate in the restaurant which was very good and of a high standard as was the breakfast. As previously stated it is right in the centre of Windsor so it's a very short walk to the Castle. Unfortunately it was raining when we were there but the hotel had umbrellas to loan us.
We would definately stay at this hotel again should we return to Windsor and we would certainly try other MacDonald hotels in other locations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue P
Dear WelshDolls

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor following your recent stay. I was delighted to learn of your enjoyment and that the team looked after you so well!

It was a pleasure to hear of your experience and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your view of the hotel.