“What a rip off....stay at the Castle hotel instead”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is just a rip off. they Will charge you over the odds for everything. they truly need to consider every policy where they take money from their guests. I Will never stay here or recommend anyone to even step foot in the place. To charge 10 pounds for a visitor to park his care for three minutes is simply wrong.

3  Thank Disgusted_TWells
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Disgusted_TWells

I was extremely sorry to read your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I may investigate your specific concerns and restore your confidence in the hotel.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Beverley Molmans

Write a ReviewReviews (2,994)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just a pity we had only one night booked as we were flying home the following day. Next time we come back to UK we will stay longer in Windsor & would stay in Macdonald Windsor. The location is excellent. The reception is lovely & the staff are very friendly & efficient in every way. Had a problem with the heating but was soon fixed, thanks to the concierge. Would certainly recommend staying here for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline D
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night after a long commute back from France. The reception is lovely and the hotels lOcation excellent BUT the rooms, though well laid out and furnished were no good. The tv remote didn't work, the bathroom fan was loud and would not turn off unless you disconnected the rooms electricity, each bathroom ( we had connecting rooms) only had one towel even though each room accommodated two people ..... It seemed to go on when all we wanted to do was sleep. Reception were polite and tried to help but ultimately nothing was fixed. A slight "sorry" at reception on check out. Oh and twenty five pounds per night for parking! Over all a disappointing expensive stay. I sure there are other options.

Dear DebCC

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

It was with concern that I read your review and I was sorry to learn of your disappointment.

Your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

I would appreciate the opportunity of restoring your confidence in the hotel. Please can I ask you to contact me on gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may reassure you personally.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Macdonald Windsor very much! The hotel is modern and ecclectic, yet warm and inviting. Our room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the location is outstanding! We were directly across the street from Windsor Castle and within easy walking distance of great shopping and many restaurants and pubs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear George-IAD

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you well and you enjoyed the location and your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Was part of a three day business meeting at the hotel and stayed one night. The room I had was excellent - relatively recently refurbished and with a decent set of plumbing (often unusual for UK hotels). The conference package was good value and the buffet lunch had tasty but eccentrically small taster portions of a variety of different main courses. Service was responsive and the location of the hotel slap bang in the centre of Windsor is perfect. Only gripes were a painfully slow internet connection, even with a cable, the parking was a bit odd (valet - with a kind, helpful driver, but rather inefficient process) and expensive (don't see why I should pay 25 pounds to park the car at a hotel). Would have also preferred a full buffet breakfast rather than a cold buffet and menu service for hot food. Shame it doesn't have a gym on the premises. Otherwise a very good hotel.

Room Tip: In Room 316 Quiet and well appointed.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Andy P

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially your room, the service from the team and our location.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for coffee as a change from a coffee shop and were very glad we did. The ambience and staff were superb and next time we are in Windsor we will definitely stay over.

A very enjoyable experience and we look forward to returning soon.

Dear bathpair

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that the team looked after you.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a multi-city tour of the UK for my work and one of our partners set us up at the Macdonald for the first night of our stay (we stayed in Manchester and London the remainder of the trip). First off the area is beautiful, with a great view of Windsor Castle and a lot of great pubs and shops in the area (we went to a local irish pub to watch a English football match and then they turned on an American football game for us, not as many people interested in that at the pub! :) ).

The hotel was immaculate, the staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast and dining area was very impressive. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the showers were very modern and stylish. I highly recommend this property and as I said, wish I could have stayed more than a single night!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jahm V

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular the cleanliness of the hotel, service from the team and your bedroom. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!