“Excellent”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Excellent in every aspect. Nice clean room, comfourtable bed, very quiet, delicious breakfast, service . Excellent location , bus stop to legoland across the road, castle entrance the same. I would definately go again.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank dkoum666
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear dkoum666

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay, especially our location and your breakfast experience.

It is great to know that you will return - we look forward to welcoming you.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stated here for 2 nights. This is a relatively new hotel built in a former department store. We were there with a large number of other couples and the lobby was cozy and an ideal gathering place throughout the weekend.

The rooms were nice "American Style" rooms. The hotel was a good value and I particularly liked the free wi-fi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank indiabound826

Dear indiabound826

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Found the hotel easily (the old John Lewis shop apparently!) and the staff were courteously efficient at check in. The room was nice enough although the carpet was filty and the plug in the sink got stuck. The room necame unbearably hot during the night,. I tried to open the window but it was locked which then made for a sleepless night as i was worrying about how we would get out in a fire! My room overlooked a lovely secluded patio but we were unable to access this which seemed a waste of space to me,
Booked in for the dinner (as it would get very busy according to the receptionist!) but upon arrival it was empty and only a couple of families trickled in afterwards. Despite this, had a log wait for the starter. Food was nice enough - asked for a glass of malbec which was gratefully received but a cost of 11 pounds was added to the bill! I would have thought this should have been mentioned before serving to me?
Breakfast the next day was good - i asked if we could just have some toast and coffee (and cereal for my son) and did i have to pay the 17.50 charge each for this, Was informed that children under 14 were free and that there would be no chanrge for mine. So thanks hotel, this was a pleasant treat.
All in all a pleasant stay, not special enough to recommend but if i was to stay again then i wouldnt be disappointed

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacqui N

Dear Jacqui N

It was with concern that I read your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your visit and I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with some aspects of your stay.

Your feedback is in no way reflective of our usual high standards and I would like to assure you that your comments were the subject of a team management review, to ensure that any similar lapses couldn't be repeated.

I do hope you decide to return to the hotel and do contact me direct should you be planning a visit so that I can take care of the arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed one night on a girls trip with my 9 year old daughter. We loved the hotel, loved the central location and the beautiful town of Windsor. Will recommend this hotel to all of my friends as we enjoyed our stay a lot. We did not eat at the hotel, as the little one loves to eat in the room. We bought sandwiches and fruit and took back to our room. But I am sure the breakfast is as nice as the hotel itself.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear mrsholidaylover

I was delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Really plush, modern hotel. Reception staff were very helpful, answering our questions about our stay and booking us a cab for the wedding we were attending the following day. The location was excellent... you can't really get much closer to the castle if you tried. Our room was really big and had a luxury feel as we walked in.

That's the good. The not so good parts were that our room looked out on to a low wall so natural light was very limited. The bathroom could have been a little cleaner than it was and the pillows which were probably the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on.

We had a drink at the bar and enjoyed the live jazz performer before eating at Caley's in the hotel. The service was fairly slow to be honest. The steaks were cooked well, but mine arrived lukewarm. But I was hungry by then! The upside was dessert... best Knickerbocker Glory ever.

Good and bad experience. A little more attention to detail could make this the perfect hotel though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear A_J_Mann

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially the service from the team, our location, your bedroom and dessert. I was disappointed to learn of the shortfalls you experienced and would like to assure you that I have discussed your feedback with the team for retraining purposes.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel has very good rooms and I would advise anyone to book the "Classic King" rooms as they are excellent for space and size of bed.The shower room is very good. Don't expect good views though,unless you want to pay for it. Our room, 423, is on the side with a view over Windsor town and the Castle to right. We entered the Hotel from the back entrance as we had booked a space in it's underground car park, at a cost of £25.00 a day. It is valet parking so be prepared for a wait as there is only one person working to bring cars out as well as book them in. Our bags were left in our car for them to be taken to our room leaving us free to take the lift to the ground floor and reception to book in.
This is when you find that the bar, reception, seating area and in part, the restaurant, is situated in a 100 ft+ long and not very, 20 ft max, wide corridor. The other end of the corridor is the hotel entrance off of the High Street.
The bar is multi-functional being used as the continental breakfast area in the morning and for afternoon teas in the afternoon. Prices, when it is a bar in the evening, are what you would expect for the style of hotel. Don't sit at the table near the bar for breakfast,as it is very busy with alot of people coming, going and leaving as you are right by the exit to the car park.
I had booked dinner bed and breakfast for two nights as a birthday treat for my wife. We don't usually have dinner in our hotels but, having experienced "The Bear Hotel", a McDonald hotel in Woodstock near Oxford, I thought that the food at the Windsor would be the same. How wrong I was. The Windsor hotel does chicken, beefburger or steak and chips. There is a different, but not inspiring alternative menu but it was a Very disappointing one. I had chicken and chips and my wife gammon and chips, which, she said, was very salty. We had been reminded at the beginning of the meal that we "Only have £25.00 each to spend" and by the end of our meal, which included a creme brule for sweet, felt that the meal was not worth it. The service was slow and not what we expected. We later found out that another couple had been kept waiting for nearly an hour for their main course. We had been expecting so much more, but got even less. I would recommend eating out at one of Windsors many other restaurants.
Needless to say, we did not eat there on the second evening. We retired to our room which, I have said, is excellent and were setteled in, when the fire alarm went off. Picking up essentials, we made our way out into the corridor only to be met by people asking where the fire escapes were. I pointed to the sign and we made our way down the stairs. The lady and Gent explained that the other exit near them said "Staff Only" and smelled of smoke. It turned out that the exit exits into the kitchen area and it was the kitchen smells rising up the fire escape like a chimney. The alarm was false and we made our way back into the hotel past diners in the dinning room looking a bit worse for wear.
As for breakfast our first one was also a bad experience having had to wait for a table then the breakfast was cold. The breakfast on our second day was very good so it can be done. Service is still an issue though.
So, apart from the eating side of it, the rest of the hotel is fine and it is the reason for "Very Good"
It's the room that made it. Oh also Windsor.

Room Tip: Book Classic King rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Duncan W

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed account and was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall despite the shortfalls you experienced.

I appreciate your constructive feedback, which will be discussed with the team for training purposes, and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Can't beat the location - right across from Windsor Castle and a quick drive to the airport. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Well-designed rooms with comfortable beds. Loved the complimentary tea and cookies, especially as it was such a cold day when we arrived. Also enjoyed the fireplace in the lobby; great place to hang out and have drinks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Catherine F

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit, in particular our location, the service from the team, your bedroom and the tea and cookies! We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!