“AMAZING WEEKEND”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“AMAZING WEEKEND”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I planned a lovely weekend in Windsor as a surprise for my husband's birthday & for the Queens Diamond Jubilee Military Parade & Muster and I booked the Feature Suite (Pearl Suite) in the Macdonald Windsor and I am so glad that I booked this suite as it was amazing.
The hotel is on the High Street and if you did not know it was there you would miss it as it blends in with the buildings with only the entrance visible as a doorway with revolving doors - very classy and understated. The lobby is beautiful and very relaxing as soon as you walk in and this relaxed ambiance is carried throughout the hotel, leaving you feeling really comfortable and mellow throughout your whole stay.
Attention to detail is evident throughout the hotel, from the immaculate and friendly staff to the decor and rooms.
Parking is via a valet in an underground car park, (£25 per night - a little pricey but worth it for peace of mind as parking is few and far between in Windsor, especially when a special event is on) but they are more than happy for your to park your own car if you wish. They will then take your bags up to reception and then your room if you wish or you can take your own, again they are very easy with whatever you choose. Very nice staff throughout the hotel.
Check-In was a breeze with a happy, smiling receptionist, who ensures you have all the information you require for your stay and again in a very relaxed manor - not stuffy at all for such a classy hotel.
I was excited to see our room or suite as I had specifically booked this room for the balcony which overlooked Windsor Castle, as we had come especially to see the Military parade on the Saturday morning and on arrival to our room I was not disappointed. The balcony stretched the length of the suite, which consisted of a very sumptious living area and bedroom area, with a part wall separating them. Two LCD screens, one in the living area and one in the bedroom area, a king size bed (very comfortable), a desk area (free fast wifi throughout hotel), a small table and very comfortable lounge chairs, sumptious sofa and coffee table in living area. Ample closet and drawer space, with ironing board, iron, bath robes, slippers, tea/coffee making facilities with your own caffettiera and fresh coffee. A gorgeous bathroom with full double ended sunken bath and walk in shower with rain head shower and the option of a hand held shower head. Double sinks, lovely lavendar toiletries and plenty of soft towels and I believe under floor heating. The attention to detail in the bathroom culminated in your own speaker in the ceiling piping the sound from the LCD screen in the living room, so you could have the music on in the living room and hear it in the bathroom while you take a shower or bath - very relaxing. This Suite had everything you could wish for and is definately worth the money, just for the views alone over the castle, let along the beautiful comfortable suite itself.
The restaurant in the hotel is very nice and food very good, I had pre-booked dinner for the first night and this incorporates it's own menu choice or you can opt to choose from the main menu and just deduct £20.00 per head from those prices, just paying the additional cost of whatever you choose over that amount. We opted for the main menu as there was so much choice (even though the set menu for the booking was not bad either). We had a sharing platter to start, which was delicious (Meat platter) and then I chose the home-made burger - which was one of the best burgers I have ever had and my husband had sirloin steak, again very good. Service in the restaurant was very attentive and not rushed at all and our waitress Laura I believe (the slim red head) was very attentive and good at her job. All of the waiting staff seemed very good at their jobs and there was a smiley man in a suit who popped up everywhere it seemed, at dinner, at breakfast, in the bar and I believe he was the head waiter or Maitre'D - Rapoosh (I think this was his name) - he was very nice and it is so lovely to see a smiling face at all times.
Breakfast is between 8 - 10am of a weekend which are nice times and we strolled down for breakfast at around 9am to be seated immediately, even though the hotel was at full capacity due to the parade. Service was very good both mornings and we particularly want to praise Agneshka our waitress on the second day who ran around for us with no problem (as I asked for more tea as I love my morning tea and then again for more ketchup etc etc) and she did all this with speed, proficiency and a smile. The breakfasts were lovely, so nice that I wish they could give you more, but I am sure if we had asked it would not have been a problem. The cold meats, pastries, bread, cereal fresh fruit and juice are laid out on a large table or bar for you to help yourself and the waiting staff take your order for tea/coffee, toast and cooked breakfast, which is cooked to order and very nice. I chose the eggs benedict on the first morning and a full cooked on the second morning, both very nice.
The bar area of the hotel is very nice and depending on how busy it is or what function is taking place at the time, it can be either a relaxing experience or a tense experience, due to lack of seating as some areas can be reserved for special functions, but this is not a huge problem.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as I believe not only is the feature suite beautiful, but the other rooms in the hotel are just as nicely decorated in the purple and brown tones with luxurious furnishings and the same attention to detail, but on a smaller and less sumptious scale.
A beautiful hotel, with wonderful staff throughout, perfect location for visiting Windsor Castle and the surrounding areas and an amazing weekend.
PS:The Queens Diamond Jubilee Military Parade and Flypast of Military aircraft was a sight that we will never forget and made the weekend that extra special.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, but if you can stretch to it, pay for and get the Feature Suite - well wort...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ginnyLondon
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear ginnyLondon,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your visit to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel for the military parade and flypast.

I was delighted to read your review and to learn of your experience, particularly the service you received from the team, the comfort of your suite and the facilities you experienced. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

We were one of the first to post a review for this hotel even though we had only dropped in for drinks in the bar at the time.

Since then we have stayed twice and had three evening meals, and our experience has got better every time.

The food is deceptively good in that the menu doesn't do justice to the actual experience. Try the haggis, neeps and tatties as a main course as a good example.

The wine selection never fails to please, the beers are good and the shorts are plentiful.

Our only regret is turning up on New Year's eve not having booked a room as the atmosphere was brilliant. We ended up on the train back to nowhere instead...

Friendly staff who never fail to make you feel welcome is what sets the Macdonald apart from its contemporaries.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Derek A
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear DelboyandDonna,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your visits to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you continue to enjoy the hotel, in particular the food, drinks selection and the service you receive from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We enjoyed a weekend break here. It's a great location for the Castle and shops , has really nice staff and comfortable public seating areas. The bedrooms/ bathrooms were well equipped ( we had three between us ) , clean and well designed and we ate some nice bar snack type meals with cocktails in the bar itself. The cooked breakfasts were good and came quickly. We did not eat in the restaurant . There is a private car park at the back with valet parking which you must book in advance which was about £25 but is very very handy in crowded Windsor. Overall a lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear KentKritic,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate such a helpful and detailed review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Kent
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here with friends for a short break. First time at this location (hotel moved a few years ago) and was really impressed. Rooms were excellent and the iPod docking station is a nice touch. Hubby loved the walk in rain shower!
As always the Macdonald breakfasts were fantastic and filling - not cheap so try to get a bed and breakfast rate.
Spent the Saturday at Windsor Castle - go early as it gets really crowded in the afternoon

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and overlooked the side of the hotel - not much view but very quiet. Room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank thekenttravellers
Dear thekenttravellers,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

lovely modern rooms mostly quiet and peaceful, hotel has good dining area and the bar has a comfy area to sit. Good choice for breakfast, the staff are helpful and polite. Good location for the castle and visiting the area.

Room Tip: request a quiet room on the top floor, they are usually able to provide this.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidays072
Dear holidays072,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a helpful review.

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights with family May 2012 - very conveniently located hotel, brief walk from the station and right opposite the castle. Staff friendly and rooms lovely - very quiet and peaceful. Excellent breakfast and staff only too pleased to help - would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our rooms on the first floor were fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jean551979
Dear Jean551979,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate such a helpful review.

London
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Spending a lot of time in hotels I have come to expect the normal faults associated with mid-range hotels especially chains. This hotel smashes that concept. A most comfortable bar (service was a little slack at times), but the Check-In South African was extremely pleasant with a good sense of humour and a smile to match. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was large. The hotel is perfectly situated to wander around the town and castle and only 3 minutes from the station. We dined at the restaurant in the hotel and the food was very decent, the wine was delicious.
This hotel is modern and stylish, and really does feel like home from home. Windsor is a super getaway from London for a weekend or just a night, this hotel gave it the extra twinkle.

Room Tip: The more you spend, the bigger your room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends