“Truly 5*”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham
“Truly 5*”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Prior to arrival my booking experience was handled very well. As I was travelling with my sister and daughter my needs and concerns were dealt with promptly and professionally. I did however book the carpark at a later date and was only made aware of the situation of the carpark from other reviews on this site. Fortunately a policeman guided us in the right direction and we abandoned the car with the valet, ran through the hotel and arrived to see the changing of the guard! (something else to consider as a few minutes later and we would of been held up as the road is closed)
We had an executive suite 117 with Castle View (you can just see the Castle) opposite Guildhall and the crooked house.
The room was very spacious and absolutely beautiful. The furnishings and decor are very tasteful and of a very high quality. The bathroom and cleanliness throughout were of a very high standard and immaculate. I have recently stayed in a supposed 5* and apparently it is acceptable to have mould in your bathroom because it would appear I am too fussy, for that I make no apology!!
Lots of mirrors and sockets ALL in the right place, a minor detail but we were 3 girlies!
One irk of mine and I have taken it up with other hotels is why the sofa beds are made up when you arrive. Not only is it in the way but you have no where to sit.
The turndown service was a surprise and the robes and chocolates laid out a lovely touch. We really felt cared for.
As we were on the front there was a little traffic noise but didn't keep us awake.
Caleys for breakfast again did not disappoint, the ambiance and atmosphere were lovely and made for a fabulous start to a sunday. We were attended to as soon as we walked in, the buffet with a large selection of cereals, fruits and cold cuts were all laid out on the bar. Our orders for cooked breakfasts were taken and what a delight to have it brought to you, nothing at all was too much trouble. The best cooked breakfast I have had in a long time.
How sad were we to leave but having had a taste of the Macdonald brand I shall undoubtedly be back for more.

Will write seperate reviews but purpose of trip was to visit Mercedes-Benz World for a driving experience for my daughter. We visited Windsor Castle which is well worth it and took us a good 3 hours. We also booked a tour of Eton which although was only an hour was very informative and gave us a sample how the college has progressed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wallychops
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Wallychops,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate such a helpful and detailed review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was my third stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, as always, and the room was absolutely beautiful. The location is perfect for sightseeing and shopping and the hotel is clean and luxurious. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Windsor.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear pollygibbs,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a positive review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

Did use the hotel parking and whilst not cheap was well worth the convenience...a few steps to the rear entrance. Check in was easy and the concierge was helpful. Had asked for a quiet room and certainly got that up on the 5th floor. Room was lovely. Didnt eat in the hotel as so much choice on the doorstep. Watched the changing of the guard from the front door - impressive!

Stayed April 2012
Dear Aly A,

Leirvik, Norway
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Wonderful hotel, location, rooms and service. One of the best breakfast I had in years

• Stayed April 2012
Dear morghi76,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your breakfast experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Sittingbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My girlfriend treated me to a weekend in this hotel for my birthday. All I can say is what a fantastic choice she made. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and left on Monday and I honestly couldn't say a bad word about anything. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were all polite, very smart and clearly took great pride in their work. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday evening and I must say the food was superb, as was breakfast on both mornings. The hotel is slap bang in the middle of the High Street opposite the Castle which is perfect.

Having introduced my girlfriend to Horse racing(and her liking it) I look forward to many more stays at this hotel and trips to Windsor races!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard V
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Richard V,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

Treated my wife to a night's stay in the feature suite with our own balcony overlooking the castle. Apart from the most beautifully laid out and really tastefully decorated suite, the outstanding things about this hotel are it's staff and it's decor. Right from the moment we dropped our car off at the valet car park we were greeted with genuine courtesy and friendliness. This continued at reception, dinner and even the young girl who brought us our breakfast the next morning in our room had such a warm smile and wished us a great day. The hotel is an oasis of tranquility and I loved its low moody lighting and furnishings. And you only have to step outside its front doors and you're right in the thick of Windsor high street with its shops and gorgeous castle backdrop. The hotel is reasonably priced and our steaks in its restaurant Caley's were divine. Truly one of the finest hotels I've stayed in and even though we live only 30 minutes drive away, we'll be back soon.
Oh and when the car park valet presented us with our car back they had even cleaned the windscreen for us.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank santryman
Dear santryman,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, the décor of the hotel, your restaurant experience and the service you received from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

From start to finish we were treated like royalty and only a few steps from where royalty live at Windsor castle. We used their on site parking facilities which was remarkable value and well worth doing.We were checked quickly into our room even though we were 2 hours early and nothing was too much trouble-within minutes the concierge had printed off train times and routes for our trip into London the next da,y and dropped it to our room. The staff were remarkable-I have never known such attention and manners and was in awe at how hard they worked to make our stay a very memorable experience. The breakfasts were lovely, and we ate a meal in the restaurant the first night which was incredible-the steak was to die for!! The hotel itself is relatively new so everything is modern and incredibly fresh looking-the lobby/bar area is beautiful with candles lighting the tables at night and lovely log affect fires during the days. You can easily get comfortable sitting there all day, but with Windsor castle on your door step and some beautiful shops and restaurants, then you are forced to vacate the peace and calm of the Macdonald Windsor hotel and escape into the hustle and bustle of Windsor! The location is fantastic-the change of guard goes right past the front door and you are 2 minutes walk to the castle and all the shops, and only a 5 minute walk to the train station which takes you to London in about 40 minutes.Worth a mention is the Drury House restaurant serving lovely home made food-the steak and kidney puddings were delicious. After a busy day in Windsor or London then our room was a place of relaxation with all the amenities you would expect plus large screen TV, many channels and a fantastic,huge walk in shower room. I cannot fault the hotel at all-everything by far exceeded my expectations and I just can't wait to go back and take all our family with us this time. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so incredible.

Room Tip: We were 4th floor so views over roof tops to the castle. Request high floor room!