“Absolutely perfect (and I am very fussy!)”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I booked this hotel for a Mother's Day treat. Both my mum and I have very high standards when it comes to accommodation and the Macdonald Windsor did not disappoint on any level. The rooms were clean, comfortable, a good size and the hotel is beautifully furnished throughout. Most importantly the staff were lovely and very helpful and even the after care service was immense considering I left something behind and the housekeeping team went above and beyond to sort it out for me. Windsor is a beautiful town and the hotel location is perfect. Thank you so much for making it a lovely weekend - we thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely come back again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rosie C
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Rosie C,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a glowing review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you and your mum enjoyed your stay with us, in particular your rooms, the hotel décor and the service you experienced from the team. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Overall, the Macdonald Windsor Hotel delivers a solid 3+ or 4 star experience with a professional and service-oriented staff as well as quite good food and beverage service. Also, the location is superb for exploring Windsor or doing business in the area. And while most of the rooms are modern and comfortable, they're not all equal and the one feature that keeps the hotel at 3+ star versus 4 star in my opinion -- but this is the best hotel in Windsor and a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AppreciateAdvice

Dear BizTraveler1966,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a helpful review following your stay at the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the food and service you experienced from the team.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a business conference recently. It's benefitted from a recent refurbishment and the quality of the fit and finish is excellent. It's also a deceptively large hotel. Viewed from the street, you'd never guess how large it actually is.

The staff were all very helpful, definitely customer focused and keen to ensure every requirement was met. The bedroom was clean, a good size and nicely furnished with high quality fixtures and fitting (with one exception, see below). The conference rooms were similarly well equipped, although they suffered from being quite poorly lit.

A few negatives:

1. The service in the restaurant was slow. If you have forty five minutes for a business lunch, you might not get your food. The waiting staff were keen and helpful so this might be an issue with the kitchen. The standard of the food was good though.

2. The iron in the room was not up to the job of ironing a shirt. For a business hotel, this is quite a big deal to me (maybe I'm picky). If the hotel goes to the trouble, as this one has, of putting ironing boards and irons in the rooms for guests, then go a little further and make it a steam iron.

3. Parking is very expensive. They have limited space, and it's unusual for a hotel in the middle of Windsor to have any parking at all, but £25 a night feels steep. They do valet park for you.

Small issues, but if they stop me from giving a five star rating. I do recommend this hotel though, especially if you're a tourist as the location could not be better. 50 metres from the castle!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VS1711

Dear VS1711,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit overall, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with some of the aspects of your experience.

I appreciate your constructive feedback, which will certainly be taken on board, and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

The Macdonald Hotel in Windsor is exactly what it says. It is comfortable, exceptionally clean, with very friendly, helpful staff. A good restaurant and in an extremely key position, being almost opposite Windsor Castle.

We stayed at this hotel after a long flight from India, so we were tired and didn't expect too much, however we were greeted with a smile by two members of staff, we had a reasonable meal with good waiting staff and an absolutley tremendous nights sleep. What more can you ask for. In the morning we toured the Castle, Station and closeby Eton town.

The Macdonald was very good value for money and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maxBadgworth

Dear maxBadgworth,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the service you received from the team and your restaurant experience.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this lovely hotel during our spring break. It's very deceiving from the facade. Once you walk through the front door you transcend into a beautiful modern hotel. Love the design. The lobby is also the lounge area and there are lots of places to relax and even a fireplace to warm up by. The staff are attentive and always asked if we needed anything while we were waiting in the lobby area. The bar area and restaurant are very nice as well.

We upgraded our room to the Peridot Suite and we were amazed. The layout was good for a family and the extra space was just what we needed. The heated bathroom floors were a nice surprise. The funny thing was the lights are on a sensor so after a little while in the bath the lights went out in the bathroom leaving me in the dark in the tub. I had my 6 year old come and turn them back on for me. So beware of long soaks. You might end up in the dark as well. The other thing to beware of is there are lots of stairs so ask the front desk when booking your room if you have issues with that. They will accommodate you.

Dave the concierge went above and beyond to make our stay special. He booked a car for us and gave us directions to help us get where we were going. He also booked a car to take us to the airport on our final day. Thanks again Dave! You rock!

We would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return to Windsor for Spring Break again in the future.

Family of 3 from Dallas~

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a Suite they are amazing. We stayed in the Peridot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tburf

Dear tburf,

I was pleased to note that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the Peridot suite, hotel facilities and the service from our concierge. We appreciate such a helpful review.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team, particularly Dave, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Wish I could grant this hotel 10 stars. Love everything. wonderful location! Immaculate room! Fantastic huge shower! Wish the interior decorator would visit my home! Just love this gem! Can't go wrong....not one thing I would change! Staying 6 nights!! Love it!! Don't think twice! Book it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Jules726

Dear Jules726,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular your bedroom, the shower and decor. We appreciate such a helpful review.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed one night last weekend and found the hotel to be really very pleasant. Excellent staff and superb location with valet parking, but make sure you book your space. The room was well fitted and we had a bath which was deep and quick to run, bliss! Slight snag on breakfast that was cold, but the general manager responded immediately to my comments and we shall visit again, very soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Wai Man C,

Your feedback has been shared with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it; I have also passed on your comments regarding the breakfast to our Breakfast Chef to ensure that any similar disappointment could not reoccur in the future.