“Absolutely Fabulous!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Windsor
“Absolutely Fabulous!!!”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is my first review on tripadvisor and I felt I must share my experience…

I went The Macdonald Windsor Hotel recently for my husbands birthday unfortunately we weren’t lucky enough to be able to stay over night however…The food was divine. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and very comfortable; it was so relaxing which is exactly what we needed! The service was faultless and we were very well taken care of. Perfect Evening!

I’m sure the restaurant would become extremely busy at peak periods due to the sheer popularity of the hotel but my husband and I have no complaints and would highly recommend…

Thank you Guys!

3 Thank RebaneWindsor
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear RebaneWindsor,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your meal with us.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your visit and I have shared your feedback with the team which they were very encouraged by.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Beverley Molmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We have stayed in a Macdonald hotel before and they are normally very good and the windsor hotel lived up to our high expectations. It was perfectly located and the service offered was fantastic.

Unfortunately the restaurant must be managed externally as the two don't seem to be run by the same people. Drinks and starters at the bar were delicious and served very efficiently, (we had to wait as the restaurant was fully booked). Sitting down at our table we couldn't help but notice half the tables were empty and no one had left; slightly confused we placed our order and had to wait 45 minutes for our main course. Even after 25 minutes our questions to the waiting staff weren't answered and only until we spoke to the restaurant manager did things seem to get moving.

In their defence they did offer us a free breakfast which did go some way to patch over the rough spot; fortunately it did not taint the weekend and we laughed about it afterwards but it could have gone the other way quite easily which would have been a shame for the hotel itself.

1 Thank Ed J
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Ed J,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your stay with us.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with the service you experienced in the restaurant. I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual standards of service and please be assured that I am investigating in your comments in order that the appropriate retraining may take place with the team.

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and hope that you will not be deterred from returning to the hotel when you are next visiting Windsor - indeed do contact me direct if you are planning to do so and I will be pleased to take care of the arrangements for you personally.

UK
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We have just enjoyed a two day mid week break in Windsor and feel we must praise the hotel. It's the first time we have submitted a review for any hotel but use Trip advisor to base our choice.
As always the views are correct, this is an excellent hotel.
From dropping the car off, knowing that it is in secure parking, to collecting it 2 days later everything was first class.
We booked an "Autumn Offer" via the net and on arrival we were upgraded to a feature room at the front of the hotel overlooking the Castle & Guild Hall.
Reception staff, bell boys, waiters and cleaners all do a great job at making your stay enjoyable. They are all very approachable, helpfull and very friendly.
We booked evening meal for the first day intending to look at other restaurants but we enjoyed the meal so much we dined there the following night. Breakfasts were very relaxed, lots of choice and staff always on hand.
In short,
Booking, we booked via the internet which was very easy.
Parking, well worth the peace of mind.
Rooms, excellent, clean and very comfortable.
Staff, cannot fault any of the staff.
Service, second to none.
Meals, again excellent.
Windsor is beautiful, very clean with both shop owners and civil staff cleaning all the time.

To all at the hotel, thank you for a very enjoyable stay.

Dear Bazst,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive and detailed review.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the helpfulness of the staff. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed one night with two children. Got a fantastic suite. Great place, really liked Windsor and the hotel was right in the heart of the town.
However, the hotel feels very business. Great service, great food. Just a bit unpersonal. Missed a bit more homevibe from the staff.
Would stay there again if we go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear guestfromlanghus,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly your suite, however may I sincerely apologise for your disappointment with some of the aspects of your stay.

I was sorry to note that you found the service impersonal and would like to assure you that I will be implementing a programme of retraining to ensure the team are offering the high levels of care and service our guests expect and deserve.

I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Northants, UK
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The hotel itself is very nice - great location, beautiful interiors, comfortable rooms.

But the service in the restaurant and bar is absolutely awful. They have nowhere near enough staff to cope. Dinner took 45 minutes and we had to go looking for the waiter twice, and at breakfast many people were walking around trying to get the waiter to bring drinks and toast. The breakfast buffet was not being refilled, so no orange juice or bread for ages.

The car park costs £25 overnight which is just silly, and on checkout they have the cheek to add £2 for a credit card fee when paying a £350 bill. This is unacceptable and sharp practice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BritPaul
Dear BritPaul,

I was also sorry to note that you were unhappy with the fee incurred when using your credit card. Owing to the costs charged to Macdonald Hotels by credit card companies, we as a company have felt that there has been no option but to implement this £2.00 charge to all bookings paid by using a credit card. As a company we do not make any profit from the charge which is in keeping with the Industry standards imposed by airlines and tour operators.

May I also apologise for your disappointment with the parking charge. Parking is limited in Windsor, and we offer a full valet service. We would never intentionally hide our costs, and offer parking as an additional option when guests book with is. By pre-booking a parking space, we can assure guests of a smoother and easier arrival experience.

I would be grateful if you could contact me on gm.windsor@macdonald-hotels.co.uk as I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you and restore your confidence in the hotel.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Really remarkable hotel. Spacious room, nice furniture and bathroom, very comfortable. Free wifi in every room. Breakfast is worth eating and service is of highest fashion.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Kesoyser
Dear Kesoyser,

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for writing such a positive review.

Your feedback has been shared with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

Sussex England
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here for a Saturday night as part of a special weekend and we'd recommend it and Windsor itself for anyone doing the same.

The location in the High St just about opposite the castle couldn't be bettered. All the staff we saw were excellent, well able to cope with the unexpected, the room was well sized, clean and well appointed

Have seen some reviews criticize the restaurant but our experience was very good. A good menu tempted us to eat dinner in the hotel (something we rarely do). The food quality, service and wine list were all excellent and we went back for a light lunch the next day. Booking for dinner on a Saturday was essential.

If you need parking make sure you book in advance as it is at a premium in Windsor. As other reviews say £25 a day parking may be expensive but it's a fair rate for that location especially as they valet park your car and return it with any bags they've stored for you already loaded.

4 Thank Steve_1311