“Excellent”

Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Windsor
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Really remarkable hotel. Spacious room, nice furniture and bathroom, very comfortable. Free wifi in every room. Breakfast is worth eating and service is of highest fashion.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Kesoyser
GM_Windsor, General Manager at Macdonald Windsor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear Kesoyser,

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for writing such a positive review.

Your feedback has been shared with the team as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here for a Saturday night as part of a special weekend and we'd recommend it and Windsor itself for anyone doing the same.

The location in the High St just about opposite the castle couldn't be bettered. All the staff we saw were excellent, well able to cope with the unexpected, the room was well sized, clean and well appointed

Have seen some reviews criticize the restaurant but our experience was very good. A good menu tempted us to eat dinner in the hotel (something we rarely do). The food quality, service and wine list were all excellent and we went back for a light lunch the next day. Booking for dinner on a Saturday was essential.

If you need parking make sure you book in advance as it is at a premium in Windsor. As other reviews say £25 a day parking may be expensive but it's a fair rate for that location especially as they valet park your car and return it with any bags they've stored for you already loaded.

4  Thank Steve_1311

Dear Steve_1311,

Reviewed October 7, 2011

lovely rooms though a little dark in decor, wonderful location if you are to visit Windsor. Car parking at 25 pounds is a little expensive for 1 night as there is no alternative within walking distance.
be aware that on sunday morning, there is no alternative for breakfast anywhere in windsor prior to 9am but to stay at the hotel breakfast room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire C

Dear Claire C,

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for such a positive review.

I am sorry for the limited parking experienced in Windsor however please be assured that if you pre-book car parking at the hotel, we can assure you of a space to give you a smoother and easier valet arrival experience.

We hope to welcome you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel when you are next planning to visit Windsor.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

What a lovely hotel. The location can't be beat ... on "high" street, right across from the castle. The hotel is everything a good hotel should be .... immaculate, modern, great (fabulous) service. In fact, the service was the best I have ever had anytime, anywhere. And the shower .... heaven, just heaven. A wonderful hotel in a charming town. It is easy to get to Windsor from London and a quick cab ride to Heathrow. I will be back. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. A real find. AND >>> Princess Anne went driving by. Too bad the Queen wasn't in residence (the Royal flag flies from the castle when she is staying). Next time we go to Lonodn, we will ake sure to stay here for a few nights.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near the oiutside trash bins as someone throws out trash late at night and ear...
1  Thank barbh

Dear barbh,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit such a positive review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the helpfulness of the staff. Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed Sat 1st October for 1 night with my partner and his parents. Our double room had a view over the high street and castle which was great and no noise either.
I have stayed in a few hotels from this chain and I would have to say it is best so far, although its a reasonably new hotel I do still feel that even in time the little extras that make the stay what it is will not start to fade.
Location fab, evening drinks calm and relaxing, bedroom large and very comfortable especially the bed. 1 thing that I found great was that the rooms had proper hair dryers and not the normal you get attached to somewhere in the room.
For me the staff are what make this hotel, from the moment we parked at the hotel the staff were polite and friendly and make you feel very much at home yet looked after.
Try the 'Caleys' cupcake if you can whilst there, they are AMAZING!
This hotel would be suitable for all travellers be it leisure or business for singles, families and couples.

Room Tip: Rooms are all different chapes and sizes due to the fact this was an old department store, although...
1  Thank Pinkyperson

Dear pinkyperson,

Reviewed October 3, 2011

As I mentioned in my previous review I have stayed at this hotel two or three times a month since in opened as it is very convenient for my company's HQ in Windsor. My last review was glowing and full of praise but over the last few visits I have noticed standards slipping so thought I would write an update.

Reception staff continue to be excellent, very professional and welcoming, a great first impression of the hotel.

The rooms are very well appointed and in my opinion the best and most consistent in Windsor and although they do vary in size somewhat the quality is very high.

Turn down service seems to be offered sporadically. This is something I never really understood and can live with out but if it is offered it should be offered evey night consistently. The chocolates provided as part of this service are very good.

The room service menus was recently reduced significantly with some of my favourite items disappearing. Ok, this is personal preference thing but I now find the menu very limited and in fact there is not much that appeals.

I had the shin of beef last week which was frankly terrible. I'd had this dish before when it was lovely large peices of meat. This time the beef had been cooked until it disintegrated and then rolled back up. It looked very unappetising and tasted worse. This wasn't dealt with very well and the inconsistency with the dishes is annoying.

I don't think I'll be eating in again.

Additionally breakfast service seems to be very hit and miss. When it is quite it is fine but as soon as it gets a little busy, orders seem to take forever and items get forgotten.

It is a shame that these little things seem to be letting the hotel down because it really does have the potential to be excellent. They may seem relatively minor complaints and had I been a first time guest might not have even noticed but as I stay here frequently the slow decline in standards is apparent.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank GeordieEngineer

Dear GeordieEngineer,

Thank you for taking the time to write an updated review following your regular visits to the Macdonald Windsor Hotel.

I was extremely sorry to note your disappointment and would like to assure you that your comments have been the subject of our weekly management meeting to ensure that any lapses in our usually high standards could be avoided.

We are currently changing the menus for Winter and they will be implemented at the end of October. I would be grateful to discuss your feedback with you on your next visit and ask that you contact me direct either when booking, or while you are here, so we may discuss.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Ideal location for a weekend away in Windsor. Spent the evening of 1st October, room on 5th floor excellent and staff very helpful, attentive and polite. Valet parking was a bonus and they were also helpful and friendly. Double glazing good and you would not believe you were in the heart of the busy high street in Windsor.

Breakfast was good with an excellent selection of fruit as well as hot food and Claudia - who unfortunately is leaving to return to Portugal, knew her job and gave 5 star service, unlike one female staff member when asked about tea and coffee replied not her job! Training required there.

Overall enjoyable time and lovely hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear MariaSS1960,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Macdonald Windsor Hotel following your recent stay. I was pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay overall, and that Claudia was especially helpful, however may I sincerely apologise for the service you experienced from another team member.

I would like to assure you that this is in no way reflective of our usual levels of service and this will be addressed with the whole team to ensure that any similar lapses could be avoided.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.