“Delightful suprise in the heart of Windsor”
Review of RiverHouse - CLOSED

RiverHouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Windsor and Eton Riverside Railway Station
Reading, United Kingdom
“Delightful suprise in the heart of Windsor”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went to Windsor with every intention of going for a good healthy walk before a matinee at the wonderful Theatre Royal...unfortunately the weather had other ideas. Given the freezing cold we decided to settle for hiding in a pub by the river and so stumbled on the Riverhouse almost immediately on leaving the Riverside Car Park.

Initially, we checked out the menu as river side properties can often be extrememly greedy given their prime location, but the prices were not wild, so we decided to give it a go.

The staff were very welcoming and I loved the decor with the art deco lamps on the bar. There was a nice fire going and the whole place looked beuatiful without being too sterile or formal. It took a whiles for our meals to come - I suspect becuase they were actually being cooked rather than reheated - but we were kept well supplied with drinks. I had Grilled Sea Bass which was one of the pricier dishes at £13.95. It was beautifully served on creamy polenta with mushrooms and lemongrass sauce and was delicious. My husband had Sausage and Mash modestly priced at £8.95 and it was evidently so good I thought he was going to lick the plate at the end! Would strongly recommend it and are definitely going back ourselves.

Incidently it is one of the few places I have seen that serve Hoegaarden and Leffe.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Sez157

Atherstone, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, good service great views”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We took my Mum for lunch on a Saturday in February. It was very cold outside but warm and cosy in the bar where we ate lunch. We were quite early (12.20) just after they had opened and we were seated straight away by the window overlooking the Thames.
We did not have starters but we did have the FRESH FLAVOURED BREAD TO SHARE £6.50
SERVED WITH ROASTED GARLIC, BALSAMIC & OLIVE OIL AND MARINATED OLIVES and it was delicious. My wife had WILD MUSHROOM, SPINACH AND RICOTTA PANCAKE £10.95
TOPPED WITH MORNAY SAUCE AND DRESSED ROCKET as a main course which she really enjoyed. My Mum had Haddock and chips, great chips and the Haddock was really fresh with crispy batter. I had the 10oz Rib eye - amazing steak and cooked just perfectly with a glass of Errázuriz Carmenère. For pud my wife had VANILLA CRÈME BRULEE £4.95 I had the STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING also £4.95 TOPPED WITH TOFFEE SAUCE SERVED WITH BANANA AND BUTTERSCOTCH ICE CREAM followed by a very good espresso.

All in all it was an excellent experience considering we were actually just passing on the way to The George and just called in because we liked the look of the views.

What was best? - My steak. yum yum.
What was worst - Nothing.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Alan C
“A hidden gem in Windsor.”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We visited this pub after asking someone local where was best to eat lunch and it did not disappoint. Lovely food at a reasonable price and fantastic service including making our 2 year old very comfortable.

never never land
“Beautiful Place run like a lunatic asylum!”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Shame the staff do not match up to the venue! A lot more interested in waffling off in everything but English and being on their phones!! Food extremely average, could be a palace!!

• Visited September 2012
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Where's the chef?”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've heard it was serving good food... well every time we wanted to go there as the views while sitting outside are pretty good (looking to the river), they never had a CHEF!!!! whatta..?

• Visited June 2012