“A great host!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Maidenhead B&B and Inns
Hamilton, New Zealand
“A great host!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Laurent is the perfect host and made my stay here very enjoyable :-)
An exceptionally clean and comfortable guesthouse that caters for business people rather than tourists which appears to suit most guests though the odd tourists who stayed while I was there (10 days) also appeared to appreciate the warm welcome they received. The bathrooms, while modern and spotless, had a somewhat smaller shower than I find comfortable (I'm being picky here) and the lack of guest laundry facilities was a minus for me. Breakfast choices were very good, location was very good and I would return if I needed temporary accommodation in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
laurent p, Owner at The Bakehouse Guest House, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Hello Russell

Thank you for your review.

Just for the readers' benefit, the shower tray you are referring to is 700mm x 900mm as described in my information page on my website and the closest laundrette is 7 minutes walk, although if a guest only needs a couple of things to be washed, I am always there to assist as quite a few have experienced in the past.

Laurent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Husband and myself went for dinner at the nearby 'The Waterside Inn' restaurant in mid April 2014 and we had the pleasure to book ourselves a night into The Bakehouse two years after our previous stay there. B&B is easily accessible with a car with ample free parking in the gated and secure compound. Otherwise, it's a short and cheap taxi ride or 15 mins walk from the train station. Well-positioned for dining at the couple of restaurants in Bray village.

Two years on, everything's still fresh and well-maintained. The bathroom were refurbished a year ago and it seemed so new and clean that I had difficulty locating even a tiny spot of moldy silicon grout in the bathroom! Zilch!To be honest, it's even cleaner than my own apartment. Now I see new LED lights, LED mirrors (heated to prevent from fogging up, quite handy for ladies who need to use the mirror to make up after a shower), bathroom ventilation fan, etc. Really love the thoughtful idea of having makeup removal wipes in the bathroom as well - you can't even find those in hotels!

Both bathroom and bedroom were extremely clean. Our room had a large and EXTREMELY comfortable bed (I think it was 180x200cm). Almost didn't want to get out of bed the next morning. Ample hangers in the wardrobe to hang your coats and multiple pieces of clothing if you are on a longer stay or week-long business trip. I find that very useful in contrast with the 3 hangers provided at a modern and new 'boutique' hotel I recently stayed in Istanbul.

Laurent, being a superb host as usual, welcomed us personally with a nice pot of tea, helped us with our luggages, made us nice breakfasts and gave suggestions of what to do in the surrounding area the next morning. Being well-travelled, he also spent time chatting with us about his trips (we love travelling and enjoyed listening to other people sharing their adventures!) and he also emailed us some lovely European towns/ cities information so that we can visit in the future. Laurent's wonderful hospitality and consistent effort at upkeeping the B&B to high specs continue to attract so many regular customers on business/ leisure. Excellent value too!

It's heartening to see The Bakehouse still maintain its consistently high standard and well-deserved high TripAdvisor ratings two years later - some other B&Bs and hotels just gradually get more tired-looking and fall apart over a couple of years.

We had a fantastic stay and it felt like visiting an old friend indeed. Not sure when will our next trip be, but we are definitely looking forward to our next stay! Thank you once Laurent, and good luck on the La Mere Poulard Omlettes! Maybe we will have that for breakfast the next time we visit ;)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank acme15
Dear Karen and Kelvin

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive review and more importantly, I am so glad you did enjoy your second stay at The Bakehouse as well as all the improvements since your last visit.

I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once more and maybe with your family.

Neuss, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We enjoid the stayin the Bakehouse.
The service was very good, we enjoid the breakfast ( possibility of choosing diffrent style) .
It was a warm admosphäre and if you like to come in contact with other guests you are at the bakehouse at the right adress.

It was a perfect experience.

That was not the last time, we stayed in the bakehouse.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
laurent p, Owner at The Bakehouse Guest House, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hello Barbara and Michael
Thank you for your kind review; I am glad you did enjoy your stay at The Bakehouse whilst celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary. It was really nice meeting you both and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon either in Neuss or Maidenhead.
Laurent and Cecile
Pewsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The personality of the owner of this lovely guest house shines through in everything that the guest sees and experiences when staying here. The place, situated in a decent suburban quiet street, is spotlessly clean and well-presented. Everything (!) works, looks good, feels right (bed!) and tastes lovely. The clean shower has that lovely water pressure, the sausages and bacon and evening dinners (if you wish) are "haute cuisine"..! One can see that Laurent's professional background is in running some hotels of very well-known international top-end brands. It is no surprise that Laurent is able to make the vast majority of his guests become loyal guests, who return time after time to enjoy the first-class, truly authentic and personable hospitality.
When I need to be in Maidenhead again, or somwhere near it, in fact, then I know where to stay. ..If it isn't fully booked, given the outstanding quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JDJUK
laurent p, Owner at The Bakehouse Guest House, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello Jan
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and always found the shared bathrooms to be clean all the time. It was a pleasure welcoming you here and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This guest house is an absolute credit to Laurent. As other reviewers have stated, it's much more than that really. There is a genuine warmth to Laurent's welcome and his hospitality is second to none. The guest house is tastefully decorated and furnished and impeccably clean. What really wins the day though is Laurent's attention to detail, which makes each guest feel incredibly special. If you are staying in the area, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank John G
laurent p, Owner at The Bakehouse Guest House, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hello John
Thank you for your kind review and for having recommended your colleague to The Bakehouse which is the best testimony you can give me. I am really pleased you've enjoyed your stay over the few weeks in January and I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Although we have visited Maidenhead many times in the past as our family lives there, we had not discovered the Bakehouse before. We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, Laurent was the perfect host and we looked forward to coming down to breakfast each morning, enjoying really good company and conversation - it was just like staying with a friend. We had a lovely superior room upstairs which was spanking clean and so comfortable and well equipped. We cannot praise this guest house highly enough and we do hope to return in the very near future.

Thank you Laurent (not forgetting Cecile!)

Kath and Peter T

Room Tip: Don't think you'll be able to beat the superior room!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KathyandPeter
laurent p, Owner at The Bakehouse Guest House, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Kathy and Peter
Thank you very much for having taken the time to review The Bakehouse. We are glad you did enjoy your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Laurent and Cecile
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Laurent does not just run a guest house. He exercises the art of perfect Hospitality, guest satisfaction and household management to a point where a guest becomes a friend that does not want to leave.. My Wife and I spent four days, during which we celebrated our wedding anniversary. Laurent and his daughter Cecile pulled out all the stops to make it an event to remember and boast about for all the years we have left. I can not add to the superlatives that others have written, only endorse every single point of excellence.. The heart of Laurent's world, his Kitchen / dining room and Office has the ambiance of a friendly farmhouse, one to which we look forward to revisiting..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricnJoan
Dear Joan and Eric
Thank you very much for your kind review. Cécile and I are so pleased you both enjoyed your stay and it was a pleasure making your wedding anniversary special for you.
We are now looking forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Maidenhead.
Cécile and Laurent