“Pleasant, but could be better”
Review of The Thames Hotel

The Thames Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Great welcome upon arrival - although the receptionist and colleague were putting up Christmas decorations, which littered the floor. Our room, 103, had a broken window latch and, given the below freezing temperatures, we asked to swap rooms and were upgraded to an executive room (which was much bigger), with a balcony overlooking the Thames. The decor was a little tired, but the room was clean and there was plentiful hot water. Shame about the mouldy sealant around the bath. My husband had to re-wire the TV aerial so that we could get a picture. We decided to eat in the Trevi resaurant, which is part of the hotel. We had an aperitif in the bar, but it took ages to serve us, despite the fact that there were very few people in there. Our Italian meal was very good, although the starter was not as described, and the Merlot we ordered was substituted by a Sicilian red.
The waiting staff were friendly and helpful. My husband recommends the mixed grill - the meat quality was excellent. My pasta with gorgonzola was pretty average and over-priced, but adequate. When it came to paying the bill, the head waiter deducted the price of the wine and my starter. However, we decided to pay in full as we had enjoyed our evening and the staff were very helpful. Our main gripe was the fact that we were kept awake by the noise coming from the bar, which was directly below our room. The music went on until 2.20am. I have stayed in this hotel on three occasions and I feel that while the location is good and the staff are generally very helpful, it needs some fine tuning. With a little attention to detail it could be a very decent budget hotel. The location is perfect for Windsor and Cliveden. By the way, we couldn't fault the breakfast. Perfect eggs and amazing butchers' sausages!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah1957

Reviewed November 3, 2010

I asked for a room with a balcony when I booked (as I had enjoyed before), and despite taking my money I didn't get the balcaony and the management have not responded to my letter of complaint. An executive room with a juliet balcony situated between two rooms with full 'walk on' balconies is not what I asked for. The disappointment overshadowed my weekend; as I was not able to enjoy the view of the Thames from my room. As the hotel has not responded in any meaninghful mannner to my complaint I will not stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2010

"Barman" very, very rude - his knowledge of the english language is appalling. We were told to "hurry up and decide what we were eating as he was busy" (he had a solo customer waiting who wanted a pint!) At 1pm on a Saturday the pub was empty apart from labourers at the front benches who pre-empted every sentence with the word f*** and c*** - not suitable for children as cars zooming up and down the road and no-where safe for them to play - no grass etc. I would ignore what it says on the menu as they do not list sandwiches and when I said to my husband "I just want a sandwich" the barman stabbed the word bagette and glared at me, We left without eating and will never go there again. Shame really as the attached restaurant understand the meaning of the word "customer" and are polite and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here as a birthday break for my husband, I had requested and received a riverside view which was lovely. It is situated beside the Thames and although there is quite a busy road between the hotel and the river, we could have sat outside the hotel and watched the river boats and barges go by. The room was comfortable and clean and had all we needed, the staff always friendly and helpful. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was very good. There is also an Italian restaurant on site which seemed very popular too.
Close proximity to Windsor and the Castle makes this a good value location for a weekend break (or midweek as we did). Very reasonably priced for its great location.
We would certainly recommend it and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is ideal as a stop-over if you are watching the pennies with the bonus of plentiful free parking. If you are lucky your room might have a view of the Thames. Our double room was small but clean, with complimentary toiletries and refreshment tray which mitigated the tired carpets and the tiny crackly tv. Breakfast was very good and the staff efficient and courteous at all times.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank humblescribe1
Reviewed June 19, 2010

had a little difficulty gettin into room,the staff upgraded the room,they were all freindly and helpful. We ate in the hotel one nite food and service was excellent. The room was clean etc we stayed 4 nites for 275 pounds and would go back when around the area again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dexastra
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Hhaving heard of this hotel being used as a base/venue for a forum's socials in the past I chose the Thames Hotel for a one-night stay due to needing to stop over in the area.

The weekend rate was £50 for a single room, and for that it was fantastic value. Usual hotel room amenities were provided, including a TV with a Freesat box, and free Internet either wired (£5 refundable deposit for a cable) or Wi-Fi, and a delicious buffet breakfast.

As well as an Italian restaurant (recommended but dined elsewhere in the end), the bar does bar food and there was a good selection of draught beers and two real ales (Fuller's) at typical hotel prices.

The only downside was that the decor of the hotel and the rooms leaved something to be desired and a top-to-bottom renovation wouldn't go amiss. However, the rooms were clean, well presented, had all the usual amenities, the staff were friendly, and my room on the second floor overlooked the River Thames.

So, decor aside, the hotel is excellent value and fully recommend the breakfast in the morning. I will definitely consider the Thames Hotel again in the future

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank APRoberts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
The Thames Riviera Hotel
Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to The Thames Hotel? Share your experiences!