The Thames Riviera Hotel
Kingswood Hotel(Maidenhead)
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsblue river caferowing clubbeer gardenthe main hotelstayed for one nightwould stay againlovely locationtown centrefat duckthameswindsorrowersbrayriversideheathrowlegoland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel has a stunning location right next to the Thames and is itself a unique old building - I found the staff to be generally very attentive, friendly and helpful.

However I found the food to be really expensive and not really that special - I cant accept that charging 13 Pounds for a basic hamburger - eaten in the bar not the main restaurant - is fair value....

I had read the reviews prior and yes they do put the interior room heating on an excessively high setting which you cannot change and you cannot open the windows due to the location of the river and insects - in summer this seems to be a very silly arrangement

The building is mostly wood - so you can hear other hotel activity clearly from inside your room ...this might be a problem for some people

I had an amazing room with a view over the Thames which was all I expected - good TV and Wifi - also very nice to sit in the beer garden or restaurant overlooking the river - comfortable bed (well apart from too HOT)

I am also still confused that even though I booked weeks in advance - my room price fluctuated up and down by 20 pounds or more over the various days and did not match the initial costs I was quoted - as this was a business trip it did not concern me too much - but I think private travelers need to watch this - I was also initially quoted B&B rates - but then had to pay 10 pounds for breakfast - a lot of other guests I spoke to also complained about this - as there are no other restaurants nearby - you kinda have to pay if you want to eat...it could be an issue with various booking systems interfacing to their systems incorrectly - but I would advise travelers to get all the above in writing

The shower in my room needed some maintenance to get working..but he arrived and fixed it - still this area could do with an upgrade..

I would go back again - but I would eat out and insist on a reasonable air con

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the MAIN hotel and room with a view - note room 105 is right above the bar and can be quite noisy
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Roger L
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Roger L

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I was pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and attentive. I really do value your feedback and I will be discussing with the team in order to implement corrective action where we can.
The rates are set according to demand in the area and I can confirm that we do advertise bed & breakfast packages, dinner bed & breakfast packages, promotional/seasonal offers as well as room only however will get my front office manager to check the systems are still all operating correctly.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed here in June, the hotel has great views over the Thames. The room was spacious & clean. We ate in the restaurant, the food was very good and there was a good choice in the menu. There were tables and chairs outside overlooking the river so we sat and had a glass of wine there before dinner. Breakfast was also good. Can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula W
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Dear Paula W

Thank you for the 5 stars. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed on 1 July for one night on a business trip. Only stayed as the Premier Inns near by who my company normally use were charging over £180 for room only! Had a large room with modern 4 poster, sitting area and desk and my room looked over the Thames from 2 aspects. Fantastic beer garden on the bank of the Thames, nice bar and good restaurant serving great food. Service from check in to check out and all in between was friendly and efficient. I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Kensemple

Thank you for your great review and I was delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I read all the reviews already posted before booking this hotel, and found many of them concerning re cleanliness and the condition of the fabric of the building, however the location was ideal for the event we were attending and there are not many alternatives in the area. Because of my concerns I rang the hotel to book directly, and to make sure I requested a room in the main hotel rather than the lodge, which had been given the poorest reviews, and to ask for a larger river view room, also re commended by previous reviewers. The person I spoke to answered my questions honestly, and I was reassured enough to book. Incidentally, I was given a family room (larger than a double) for the same price as a double, so we had a good view and a large room. On arrival the impression of the exterior is of a tired old hotel, very much in need of extensive refurbishment, painting and general smartening up. The reception area is scruffy and throughout the hotel there is a general depressing air, stale and musty smells, corridors with scuffed paintwork and tired carpets. Our room was on the second floor, accessed through a warren of narrow staircases and numerous fire doors, but we were not offered any help with our luggage, and if there was a lift we weren't directed to it. The room was as a previous reviewer describes in terms of the closed curtains, lack of air conditioning and warnings to keep the windows closed because of insects. On opening the curtains, dirty windows were revealed, and as there were no privacy blinds or net curtains, and as our room was directly above the beer garden, we needed to keep the curtains closed to shower and change! The room itself was clean enough, but the washbasin was badly cracked, the towels thin and the toiletries consisted of a mismatched set of a single small bar of soap, one tiny tube of all in one shampoo and conditioner, and a single small tube of shower gel hardly enough for one shower- and this potentially for a family of 4!. The furnishings and carpet were okay, but only just- cushions were frayed, lampshade tatty, curtains tired and slightly ill fitting, and the bedside cabinet drawer had an alarming habit of gradually opening itself- presumably as a result of an uneven floor.The bed was comfortable, though the strange 4 poster design gives the effect of sleeping under a child's climbing frame. Our room was not particularly noisy, but we could clearly hear moving around in the room above, which would have been annoying if those guests had been up much later or earlier than us. The lack of air conditioning and the wholly ineffective small and noisy desk fan made for a stuffy night. Although it was a warm day, mid 20s, it was by no means exceptionally hot weather. The room rate was £139 for a single night, and I expected much more in this price bracket. I made it clear on booking that I was looking for a standard of accommodation above a B&B or budget hotel, but I do not think this hotel delivered that. On paper, the criteria for a decent hotel is met, and the photographs represent the rooms accurately but in their very best light-though without air conditioning, room blackout, mini bar or room fridge, decent toiletries etc. it struggles to achieve the spirit of quality accommodation. We didn't have any food or drinks during our stay, partly because breakfast was extra, effectively making the price for one night over £150, but mostly because there were 2 prices, £8.50 if booked in advance, and £10.95 on the day, which I felt was petty, mean and unnecessary on that price level, and told me all I needed to know about the hotel- include breakfast in the price, please, make your guests feel looked after, on arrival don't warn them that their room is likely to be bug infested and stiflingly hot unless they are prepared to spend their whole stay in the dark with the curtains drawn. Invest some cash, please, you have a great location and fantastic potential, but next time I'll be staying at a budget hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Anne D

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I do appreciate the feedback you have given and am pleased to say that we are undergoing an internal maintenance programme to address some of these comments. We are indeed an older building however we do pride ourselves on the standard of cleanliness in our rooms and hotel.
I do apologise that you feel disappointed and do hope that you visit us again in the near future where I am sure you will see the on going improvements.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here on the 21st June 2014. Beautifully situated hotel overlooking the Thames. Lovely big room with everything you need to hand. Polite cheerful and very helpful staff. We was fortunate to try the food in the restaurant which was fairly priced and very tasty. The next morning we enjoyed breakfast outside enjoying the beautiful view of the Thames. Definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Blueboy 1918

A great review thank you. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and were able to have breakfast outside on the veranda due to the great weather we are having currently - long may it continue. I do hope to see you back at the hotel soon. Regards Paul