“Comfortable stay”

The Thames Riviera Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed for one night in a double room (209), with a view of the Thames. Our room was clean and spacious, with a pleasant atmosphere. There was a bit of a wait for check-in, as being a Sunday night, they had minimal staff on reception. However, everyone was helpful and friendly, and we got there eventually.

We also ate at the restaurant (dinner and breakfast). I wasn't so impressed with the restaurant. The food we had was a bit bland, and probably not the best value for money. My recommendation is to stay at the hotel if you want somewhere comfortable, but perhaps take a look around Maidenhead for other options foodwise!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your stay with us,

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience in the restaurant, as this is not the level of satisfaction we aim to achieve.

I have passed on your comments regarding the food to the appropriate managers and I can assure you that these will be looked into.

Thank you for you lovely comments regarding the hotel, and our friendly staff.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Thames Riviera Hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Thames Riviera Hotel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spotted this hotel whilst looking for somewhere to stay in the centre of Windsor. We booked because of its scenic location & because it was more economical than staying in Windsor.

Positives:
The location met expectations. I was impressed with the hotels boutique style - the room was modern yet had character. Parking is free & onsite. There is a restaurant / bar beneath the hotel which had a nice atmosphere. There was karaoke on the night we stayed - fortunately we didn't hear it from our room.
Room for improvement:
When we first walked into our room we noticed they had sprayed (lots of) air freshener. We later realised it was sprayed to mask the smell of grease which I believe was due to the nearby kitchen. The room was also hot - we used a small fan in the room but it wasn't perfect.

I'd recommend this hotel for a short stay as it's economical, stylish, welcoming & beside the River Thames. I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1 night as we didn't have a good sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I would like to apologise that you found the bedroom hot, as we do not have air con facilities we provide portable fans in every room to try and help with this situation but understand this may not have been sufficient enough. We can also provide additional fans, which can be obtained from reception.

I have noted your comments regarding the air freshener and have spoken to housekeeping to ensure this does not happen again. I sincerely hope this did not affect the entirety of your stay.

Thank you once again for your review and your lovely comments regarding the hotel, I hope that one day we can welcome you back to the Thames Riviera.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent a Saturday night here on the way to London for a birthday celebration. It was a perfect room for an overnight stay. We did not have a river view but we had a sizable well-proportioned room. It looked as if it should have been noisy with a busy road in front, a wedding party in progress and a busy restaurant, but in fact our room was very quiet and we had a great night's sleep. The reception staff were welcoming and helpful and our room was prepared although we arrived early for check-in.The restaurant menu was extensive, but the food was frankly disappointing, as was the service in the restaurant.,but they were very busy!
Breakfast was fine and the service there was friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: the river view may be worth paying a bit extra for.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip advisor as it can be a key element for any guest making a decision to stay with us.

We take all feedback very seriously as we do try our very best to ensure every guest has a pleasant experience.

I sincerely apologise for the standard of service and food your received on the Saturday evening, this has been noted and the relevant members of staff have been spoken to.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Thames Riviera hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

If offered Room 101 beware. It is aptly numbered The kitchen extractor fan is outside the window and rumbles all night. The room was hot, (being above the kitchen) and opening the window filled the room with the smell of grease. Although there was air con, this added to the noise over night.

When we checked in we were told the hotel was fully booked. Next day when we complained about the noise and the heat we were told that if we had complained earlier we would have been offered another room. We did not know that the noise and heat was to be an issue til midnight when we arrived back from a night out. It was late and we were tired and under the impression there were no other rooms.

That said, the hotel is clean, the staff friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was great. The shower was hot and powerful

The poor review is based on the room. It was an uncomfortable night.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101.
2  Thank Sarah D
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

I was very disappointed to read your review on your recent stay with us,

I understand that you experienced several problems with room 101, which I can assure you have been brought to our maintenance teams attention, I have asked for the noise of the extractor fan and the smell of grease to be investigated and rectified immediately, I would ask that if any guests are dissatisfied with their room to contact the reception desk whatever time of the day and we will always do our very best to accommodate any requests whether it may be a room move or a maintenance issue fixed or to provide any extras amenities to make your stay more enjoyable.

I hope that one-day you will return to The Thames Riviera Hotel as we have a wide selection of room types, which I am sure if we had availability would have been more suited to your requirements.

I would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel cleanliness and staff.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime in regards to your future accommodation needs.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights while visiting family in the area. Our room was very comfortable and had a lovely view of the river and the bridge. Great range of options on the menu at the restaurant. All of the staff were very friendly even on the weekend when it was busy they always had time for a chat. The breakfast was fantastic, cooked to order always fresh and fast amd lots of cereals, pastries and fruit to choose from. Great location, walking distance from the town and close to many other nice restaurants. Wifi worked great and was free. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to stay in the area ! Such a lovely place !

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. If you have trouble with stairs get a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest

I would like to thank you personally for your recent review on the Thames Riviera, as it can be a key element for any guest making a decision to stay with us.

We take great pride in receiving such wonderful comments as we do try our very best to ensure every guest has a pleasant and enjoyable experience, I have passed your comments onto my fellow colleagues.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was booked a surprise birthday present. We stayed on a Saturday night and loved it! We had the initial problem of parking, the car park isn't massive and people use it also for the restaurant so had to park the car in the 'overflow' which was like a large alley!

The package bought including a 3 course dinner with a bottle of wine as well as breakfast. We were given the option to pick from 3 dishes for each course or we could upgrade to the a la carte menu. We decided to upgrade and had £20 each to spend so to speak. So glad we did, the food was absolutely delicious and actually only cost an extra £15 in total! We had to wait a while for each course but put this down to how busy the restaurant was!

The room we stayed in was on the 2nd floor, right by the stairs but did not hear a thing! The room was gorgeous and had a partial view of the river. The only niggle was a bit of flaky paintwork above the bed and the bathroom door had started to peel away the laminate effect.

Breakfast the next day was also delicious, although still very full from the night before we managed to have a full english. Very tasty! Same could be said for the pastries (although no croissants available) alongside the help your self cold selection.

I would stay here again if it was a special occasion as it is worth the cost when going that bit further!

Room Tip: If you can afford it pay for a river view, so beautiful!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we strive to offer all our guests a unique experience whatever the occasion.

I have passed on your lovely comments regarding the food to our kitchen team and have also noted your comments regarding the décor which maintenance are looking into.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to stay with us very soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked a "Gourmet Getaway" using a Buyagift voucher. One night stay in hotel plus a gourmet dinner in the hotel restaurant. The dinner turned out to be a fixed price menu at £20 per head, for 3 courses. Not the "gourmet experience" I was expecting. I had traded a two night hotel voucher for this and had to pay an extra £60. Value for money was non existant.
On arrival we were given the key to a room which had not been cleaned. When I called the reception to bring it to their attention, I was told, "OK, not a problem" . Not the apology I would have expected.
Be aware there is no lift in this hotel. We were on the third floor. The stairs were so steep my wife had to remove her heels for fear of falling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I understand you used a Buy A Gift voucher for your recent booking at the Thames Riviera, we do not influence the value of the voucher as this is set by Buy a Gift but I sincerely apologise that you did not find us value for money.

I was very disappointed to read that your room was not clean and how the situation was dealt with, I can assure you that this was a one off occurrence as this is not the level of customer service or standards we strive to achieve. I have personally spoken to members of staff involved to ensure this does not happen again.

Unfortunately as the Thames Riviera is an old building we do not have a lift, however I would always recommend that guests contact reception if this is a problem and we will do our very best to accommodate any requirements.

Hayley Buddo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
#1 of 3 in Burnham
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to The Thames Riviera Hotel? Share your experiences!