“Great Pub!”

Hand and Flowers
Ranked #21 of 157 Restaurants in Maidenhead
Cuisines: European, Pizza, British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hand and Flowers is where you go regardless if you want a well conditioned ale, great wine or fantastic home cooked pub food. The Hand and Flowers happens to make the best pizzas in town as well as all the usual pub classics. You wont find any TV screens in this little gem, just great food and drink and some classic music from the 60's to modern day.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Great food great drink awesome pub! Previous review is just wrong this place is great. Nice staff great food and superb choice of drinks especially the new English lager Freedom.

2  Thank Richard S

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I visited this pub for the first time on my lunch break last week. While the barman was very friendly and nice, the pub itself was quite dark inside and looked tired and had that smell that some old pubs have they need a good clean and the windows opened. The prices are very reasonable but the food itself was poor quality - I had the fish and chips which is normally a safe option. But the fish tasted as though it came from the freezer. I wouldn't go back here for food.

3  Thank Holibobs1
Phil D, Owner at Hand and Flowers, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

I contacted the reviewer direct just to double check that he/she had in fact been into the Hand and Flowers because the review was so out of character.
We received no reply so in response to others who may read this review please feel free to pop by and see how the wrong the reviewer is.
Firstly the pub has too massive 7 ft bay windows which light up the pub nicely in the day but I guess on a sunny day it may feel darker when you enter.
The pub however does not look tired. Over the past couple of years we have tried very hard in detail to create a vibe different to other pubs. We have no tv screens, no gambling machines or vending machines. We are a REAL music pub with a strong focus in this area.
The pub is cleaned every day and all the wood polished by my mum!! The pub never has 'that smell' (whatever that smell is) and my mum is now upset!!
Question: how can food prices be reasonable but the food quality be poor?? Surely if the food was poor then the food would be of poor value too?
With regard to the fish you had, all our fish is delivered daily & fresh from Brixham fish market NOT frozen! NONE of our food is frozen and everything is cooked fresh to order.
Oh sorry, our chips are frozen so I'm very sorry about that one,

I'm very sorry for the slightly tongue in cheek response here, its not that we don't care but because flippant reviews like this don't help us or anyone using Tripadvisor.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My all time favourite meal is risotto, I tried it here yesterday (mushroom/chicken), best I've ever tasted; the bonus was a pint of Brakspears bitter, excellent.

1  Thank Tonyspecialbutton
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Very welcoming place. Nice beers, tasty food!
Though Maidenhead is not a huge place to go out, hand and flowers is a nice location to spend the evening, even a Monday evening

1  Thank elleo-advisor
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Pleasant environment, good atmosphere. Food was just average. Fish and chips was small, chicken burgers were small and soggy with chicken juice. Chorizo pizza was overcooked bordering on burned. When asked if everything was okay, we could honestly say "yes". But "okay" was all it was.
I'd go here again for drinks but not to eat.

1  Thank brack909
Phil D, Owner at Hand and Flowers, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

I'm truly very sorry to hear about your 'ok' experience when dining at the Hand.
All I can do is apologise that you felt our food wasn't up to the standard that I know we serve on a daily basis.
Like allot of food operators up and down the country we try our very hardest to serve the best food we possibly can and thrive off feedback and learning from our mistakes. However, we are also forever banging our heads against a brick wall in frustration when customers sit in silence and don't speak to us on the evening if there are any issues of any kind. I don't understand why if your not entirely happy you would finish your meal and then pay for it? I know I wouldn't and I don't!
Therefore I cannot comment on your experience except to say I certainly wouldn't have charged you for the food if I had known and we would have done our best to put things right.
Maybe in future where ever you are, speak up and don't wait until you have paid and gone home to air your issues. You might be surprised how good customer service can be!

Please feel free to contact me for a complementary meal if you are ever down in the area again.