“Only wanted a nice lunch - could have got better at Greggs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Lyon - CLOSED

Red Lyon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“Only wanted a nice lunch - could have got better at Greggs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I decided to have a small lunch here on Friday 22nd March, they have a hot food menu but all we wanted was a nice sandwich lunch - unfortunately it really was not up to standard. I wouldn't have fed what we got to our dog.

I ordered the bacon and brie.........sandwich comes out with no Brie. I return sandwich.......same sandwich is given back to me with 2 very fine slices of Brie.....and when I say fine....I mean paper thin. Now normally I wouldn't moan.....but for £7 per sandwich I was expecting it to be rather better than the local Greggs......and on this occasion I actually wished we had gone to Greggs!

My husband ordered the fish goujon sandwich.........another fail I'm afraid......again for £7 he had 2 slices of normal white bread from a packet......not even a fresh tin loaf.......and 2 fish goujons!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really? for £7 this is the best they can offer for a sandwich lunch?? Am I overreacting? No I'm not.......even at the local wetherspoons I know you can get a fish finger roll for half the price and more content - really really dissapointed Red Lyon.........won't be back in a hurry......if at all.

1 Thank Kallum2103

Reading, United Kingdom
“Friendly Gastro Pub and Free House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ate lunch there recently.
The greeting from the staff was friendly and throughout our meal we could not fault the discreet attention and service.
There is a frequently changing and interesting menu with all the vegetables from their own garden or through local producers. All meat and fish is sourced locally
Apart from the main menu there are good quality bar snacks..
The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we were more than happy with the quality of the cooking and the dish presentation.
There is a short and good wine list not heavily overpriced for this area.
Real ales are on tap for beer drinkers.
The restaurant is divided into all sorts of nooks and corners and is quite homely.
All in all a very nice place to eat and drink

2 Thank finian29
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Tastiest meal I have eaten out for some time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great atmosphere, friendly unobtrusive service and the meal I had was just superb - didn't want it to finish!! The waitress said a new menu is about to be launched but if you do manage to have this I'd recommend it : Supreme of chicken with baby new potatoes with a light, mushroom sauce. Leeks au gratin in a separate little pot which could almost be a meal on their own. We had a side of mixed veg which again, was perfect - couldn't be fresher and cooked just right. My partner had the liver with fries which again, could not be faulted ... will be returning soon! If the management are reading, please could you add another Prosecco to the wine list, it was cheap at £4.50/glass but I'd rather pay a little more and have a tastier fizz!!

1 Thank Ch0ccie
London, United Kingdom
“Mothers Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked for Mothers Day and my word were they busy! Had such a lovely time though. The staff we all so helpful and cheery which on a busy day like Mothers Day was lovely to see. We had such a great time, food as usual was scrummy! The Sea Bass for my main course was delicious! incredible puddings as ever! we were all spoilt for choice!

The Roast dinners there are the best in the area I would say, though I know you need to book!

Great place and would recommend to any one.

Yet again the team at the team at the Lyon did themselves proud.

Thank You Red Lyon for making our day special.

1 Thank WycombeD
Berkshire
“Normally good but let down by service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Started with Guiness which was sent back not tasting very good. Then one main course was not ordered through the kitchen, so we had that awkward moment everyone else eating but one person.
Then finally we asked for the bill which had two extra drinks that we had not ordered or received. No apologies and a huge let down, which is a shame. Sorry i wont be back in a good while, especially with friends as it marred the evening, the faults in service let down the food.

And no you don't get a tip !

1 Thank MichiBerkshire