“A lovely relaxing weekend stay”

Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have just had a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay at Fredricks, only slightly marred by the lack of hot water this morning (they had had problems with the boiler). The room was spacious and comfortable; the breakfasts excellent, especially the compote and stewed fruits - excellent and rare to find such things in hotels! The scrambled eggs were of very good quality and even the bacon was noteworthy due to its flavour. We had dinner (the taste menu) which comprised 5 courses, 2 of which were excellent (scallops and veal) but the others had too many mistakes (e.g overcooked 'melt in the middle' desert) which was a shame.
However, what for us marked this hotel out was the staff. They were so polite and helpful and genuinely friendly. They made our stay, and without the minor flaws noted above would themselves have won the hotel a 5 star rating!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruachcons
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear ruachcons,
Thank you for your comments, I am very pleased to see how much you enjoyed yourselves.
It was very good of you to praise The Staff so kindly and we all hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

The room was elegant spacious and comfortable, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the spa facilities were very good. We had the taster menu for dinner and it was delicious. We have eaten in many fine restaurants and the food at Fredrick's compared well. Overall a very enjoyable stay. Would we visit again.... Yes most definitely!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul and Diane D
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Paul and Diane D,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very grateful for your comments about how friendly you both found my team and how much you enjoyed the standard of our Restaurant.
Craig and his Brigade try really hard to go that extra yard making every single thing freshly.
We bake our own bread daily, fresh cakes and puddings, all our sauces and main dishes.
We all hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and myself recently visited on a special offer, on arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant man who went out of his way to help us and answered all out questions unfortunately I did not get his name but he had only worked there for a short while. Our room was fine. Dinner inthe evening was very nice as was the breakfast in the morning. I did use the spa facilities and found the pool a nice experience being able to swim inside or out. Overall for a nights stay very pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shal22

Dear Shall22,
Thank you for taking time to send us your review and letting us know how much you enjoyed yourself.
I am delighted to hear that you found the staff friendly and enjoyed our food so much.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights with friends. The general decor overall was pleasing and I loved the artwork and sculpture that popped up everywhere. The reception staff were polite and friendly. There were 2 members of staff in the bar in particular who seemed genuinely friendly and pleased for our custom and they were a young man with a ponytail and a tall young woman with long fair hair. No names - sorry! The spa area was fine although we didn't try any of the treatments. We ate a sandwich and cup of coffee there and had to ask for the coffee cup to be topped up as it was served literally in a cup only half full.
Now the disappointing bits......I note other reviews re. the lack of tea and coffee tray in the rooms unless you specifically request it. Why? We searched high and low for a "hidden away" tea tray on arrival and only later noticed in the hotel literature that we could request one. Lesson one - you must read everything on arrival! The biggest disappointment was the restaurant food which I found was not at all good value for money. We ate off the menu in the restaurant on the first night and I chose cod with spinach, chorizo and gnocchi which sounded tasty and substantial. The piece of fish I was served was the smallest I have ever been served in a restaurant and the rest of the dish was purely there as a garnish. It looked great on the plate but was simply not good enough for a main course at the prices charged. For the first time ever, I left a restaurant hungry!! I am not a big eater or anything but I think a child would have remained hungry after that main course!! What I had was delicious but there was simply not enough food on my plate. Also at breakfast there seemed to be no choice of eggs - it appeared to be scrambled or nothing. Maybe it was like the tea tray in that you have to ask? I did have to ask for glasses to be put out for the juice as there were none and on the 1st morning we were unaware of an option for toast as we were not offered any when our beverage order was taken. Very disappointing.
Also, when we got home after checking out, I noticed a "gratuity" charge on the bill of £5.30. I have no idea what this was for as we left tips at the end of our meals in the restaurant and would certainly have queried it on check out had I noticed it.
All in all, a comfortable well laid out hotel but let down by the things I have mentioned in this review.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank maisieb2014

Dear MaisieB2014,
I am sorry to read your review following your recent stay with us.
Having only just started as the Manager here I can honestly say that I am slightly disappointed by your comments regarding our food offering.
Having worked with many Kitchen Teams over the years, I would certainly not class Craig's food portions as small.
I hear your point regarding tea trays in bedrooms, but we do prefer to bring along fresh drinks on request, although we will arrange a room tray if desired.
I am glad that you found the team friendly and willing and would love you to come back and give us another chance.
If you do feel that you may wish to return, please contact me directly at the hotel and I would be delighted to take care of your booking personally.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Kind regards.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had booked the Hotel as 1 night stay for my husbands 30th Birthday, we had a table booked at the nearby Restaurant, The Waterside.
Check in was pleasant and I was informed they had upgraded us complimentary to the Royal Ascot Suite as it was a Special Occasion. However in the end I wished they hadn't. The room was large and clean however it felt a bit dated. I hate it when people judge décor as it isn't to their taste but this was more that everything felt quite tired. There was a big crack down the centre of the ceiling right over the bed. The furniture had passed its hay day as it was fraying in numerous places. There was also a problem with the toilet flushing, you had to pump it again and again to get one flush! (why would you upgrade someone to a room that doesn't have a fully functioning toilet????) But as I said it was large and clean so I didn't say anything.
We visited the Spa before our evening dinner, it was lovely!! It was a crisp, sunny winter day and the outside heated pool was fab!! We didn't have any treatments but over all I would highly recommend it!
When I had confirmed the reservation months earlier they had invited us to "Fredrick's Lounge" for a complimentary Glass of Champagne, and gave us a voucher for said drink on arrival. When we entered the lounge there was not a soul in sight! and had to wait what felt like ages for a Bar man to arrive and serve us (this doesn't sound very long, but we had to hunt him down or sit in a silent lounge with no drinks, it just wasn't fun!) Anyway, we finished our drinks quickly and headed off. But not before we saw another couple arrive as we left ~ with the same problem, no barman!
Once we were getting into bed we noticed two other things. No tea & Coffee facilities in the room (turns out if you order them over the phone they will bring them to your room complimentary, but who wants to do that when they first wake up??) and there were big holes in my husbands pillow? Again not something we wanted to deal with at Midnight so just turned it over and went to bed.
Breakfast was yummy and the surprise cupcake I had arrange arrived as asked.
I mentioned my issues to he receptionist and again to her manager as I checked out. I appreciate that as I said nothing as each thing happened there was little that could be done on check out. However when I mentioned the pillow the manager said " did you mention it to staff? as we have a 24 hour receptionist and the night porters have access to our laundry cupboard...." Well I should hope they do! But as I said who wants to call up and change it when they get into bed? It wasn't really that big an issue but thought id mention it anyway. It also aspired that they knew the toilet wasn't working properly..... but they put us in the room anyway??? I think for £119.00, Tea & coffee in the rooms, a working toilet and a full pillow case is not a lot to ask for!

Basically we had an okay stay, the staff were all lovely and helpful, but over all the hotel (except the Spa) felt tired and dated. I'm upset that they upgraded us to a room that isn't up to scratch and disappointed that they took no responsibility for it. I wouldn't stay again but would encourage others to try it.

Room Tip: avoid the Royal Ascot suite, spacious but outdated.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear KarinB,
Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us last month.
Having just started as the new manager at Fredrick's Hotel I was not here at the time of your stay.
Although I am delighted that you felt the staff were nice, I am sorry to read your other comments.
We do offer tea and coffee freshly made to the rooms and can arrange for a room tray to be set up upon request.
The issues with your room have been taken on board and we are currently carrying out a small refurbishment plan throughout some of our bedrooms.
We have liked so many properties in The Thames Valley this winter, been subject to extraordinary wet weather and subsequently seen a wee bit of internal and external water damage.
However, these issues are being addressed as we speak and I hope that you would consider to use us again.
If you do, I would like to ask you to contact me directly at Fredrick's and I would be delighted to look after your booking personally.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We overnighted at this hotel on our way to Rome and were booked for dinner at the Hinds Head in Bray. The attitude of the staff member on the front desk was rude and got worse when we informed him that we were off to Bray for dinner then up early in the morning for our flight to Rome. Our room was located at the front of the hotel near the main road and required us to take our bags up many stairs to get to the room. The room was very small and the décor was in desperate need of upgrading as it has seen better days. Whilst waiting for a cab to go to the Hinds Head we noted that other guests were located near what appeared to be a newer section of the hotel near the spa – perhaps this part of the hotel may have made for a better stay for those guests. For the cost, being in a very dated, small room located next to a main road made for a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear tmcg2014,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Fredrick's.
Although I had not started here as the manager when you were here, I am sorry that you did not like your room and found it difficult to carry your bags up the stairs.
It is most unlike someone to complain about the team of staff here, as they are so widely praised for their charm, friendliness and general attitude to want to help.
I do note that you also scored us down on all the other sections of your review.
One thing that I can honestly say about Fredrick's is that it is one of the cleanest Hotels that I have had the pleasure to work in in my 30 years as an Hotelier.
If you were flying out of Heathrow to return to Australia, then I am at a loss of our poor location score too as we are perfect for the airport?
The road you mention is a small normal road and we are situated on the outskirts of a medium sized town, so we very rarely have people getting too upset with that either.
I am sorry that you thought my receptionist was rude to you, I do know that the four young men and women are usually very professional and polite and I know that they would not intentionally act that way to anybody.
I do hope that you enjoyed your supper at The Hind's Head and your long flight home was comfortable.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our daughter bought us a bed, breakfast and dinner deal at Fredricks for Christmas.
The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Maidenhead Station in a very suburban area.
The interior was quite a surprise, very well designed and it seemed to exude calm.
We were greeted by a very efficient but not friendly receptionist! We were however shown to our room by her colleague a much warmer Scottish guy, he compensated for the frosty one!
Excellent room, well planned, with the exception of the mirror being too high and the lack of a full length mirror.
Dinner was of a very high standard, every course was well executed, the kitchen made compensation for my shellfish allergy with a delicious mackerel alternative and service was professional and friendly.
We didn't make use of the Spa facilities.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Missfoodlove1

Dear Missfoodlove1,
Thank you for you review following your recent stay.
Although I have just started as manager here, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay so much and in particular, our food offering.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of being able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Jeremy du Plessis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
The Thames Riviera Hotel
The Thames Riviera Hotel
#9 of 11 in Maidenhead
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!