“Excellent stay”

Ranked #8 of 21 Maidenhead B&B and Inns
Loughton, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights to attend a wedding nearby. The owner is extremely helpful, giving me take away suggestions and even bringing the take away to my room with a plate and cutlery. I stayed in a budget single (own shower and sink with shared toilet) but it was very comfortable and reasonably priced at £50. Breakfast was probably the best part of the stay - a massive selection cooked to order including a fruit salad with at least 15 different types of fruit in it. The poached eggs were cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend the Lawn Guest House.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I spent one night here and one of our lasting memories is of the warm and friendly welcome we received from members of the staff. This continued the following morning and I realised what was special was that all the members of staff we met were obviously happy in their jobs which, in my experience, is very unusual.
And breakfast was very good as well!
A son and his family have just returned to England and, until they buy a house, we will be staying at The Lawns whenever we visit them.

Ian C

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed for just one night but wish we had stayed longer. Our welcome after a long drive was lovely, our room immaculately clean and the bathroom very very nice. We parked easily and found the local area had everything we needed. After a good sleep we enjoyed the extensive breakfast menu and gratefully accepted directions in to Windsor. A great stay thanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I live in Yorkshire and work in Maidenhead during the week. After trying quite a few guest houses in and around the area I finally found what is now my second home just over 5 years ago and since that day I have never stayed anywhere else. I have stayed in every room in this beautiful big old house during my time here but whichever room I have I'm never disappointed.

I cannot praise Philip and his staff enough. They go over and above to make you feel welcome and at home. Nothing is too much trouble. I love the flat-screen TVs, the daily fresh laundered bedding; the free Wi-Fi (you don't get that very often in a guest house/hotel); tea and coffee on tap; the comfy beds (I've never had a bad night's sleep here) and the fab iPod charger. The first thing I do when I get to my room is charge my iPod for the drive north. The breakfasts are yum and again, nothing is too much trouble, Phil and his staff will always accommodate ~ you just need to ask.

I have had 5 very happy years here in my second home (I stay every week) and thoroughly look forward to coming down and staying.
Nicci Crompton

Room Tip: Room 2 is my favourite as it's at the back of the house, so quiet, and I love the huge shower.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicci C
kessingland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we the turners stayed here on the 14 july for the wk/end we totally enjoyed our stay here its an old house and very quaint the owner is very pleasant and is very helpful also a big thank you to the lady who sorts out the b/fast she is always on her toes,The b/fast is excellent just so much to eat,and lots of tea and coffee and juice. the room was just right clean and tidy with ensuite,yes it is old but it is a house not a hotel so to all you poopers we will definately be going back very soon. also try out the windsor castle contempory pub just around the corner the fish and chips are fab.also very reasonable prices so dont delay book today

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank anthony t
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We had room No7 and it was not at all what we were expecting from the reviews we had read. In fact it could not have been further opposed to the reviews. Room No7 was just awful, we were very disappointed. Everything was either worn out or close to it.
The carpets, the beds, the curtains, the woodchip wallpaper, the 1970’s fittings & furniture, the free-standing mini fridge with a microwave on top, all just dreadful while the state-of-the-art TV & the iPod radio worked they only went to further highlight the decades between the room last being decorated and today.
The shower however was a saving grace. It was powerful & we had plenty of hot water but stepping over the sagging, creaking floor between the room and, it has to be said, the large bright en-suite, was I felt a bit like running the gauntlet!
Having been shown to the room and then left to our own devices we thought about checking out but only decided to stay because we were tired and other family members were booked into The Lawn GH that night & at least the bed linen was crisp & clean & the room was dry, so we bit the bullet & stayed.
It was explained to us that the room was due for refurb beginning the following Monday yet we paid full price for the room! Looking back I remember feeling a little 'mugged'. A partial refund would be nice!
I would have loved to have visited the kitchens to find what mayhem led to individual orders for the same table arriving with intervals of several minutes & then to have selected breakfast items, in our case a portion of beans & an egg, follow minutes after the arrival of the main plate and all this while the breakfast room was half empty! To be honest such organisation, or to be more accurate the clear lack of it, was almost a comic relief to us. We imagined some Fawlty Towers shenanigans going on in the kitchen. Overall, the breakfasts were good but as reflected in other reviews, the sausages were pretty awful.
I have to add that perhaps contrary to the above that I cannot fault the staff or the owner / manager. The staff were polite, the owner / manager was cheerful, chatty and hugely accommodating displayed by his kindly allowing our son, his wife & their 5 week old twins, who were not staying at The Lawns GH, to join us for breakfast and use Room No7 to change and perform ‘baby-maintenance’ before leaving for the wedding we were to attend. And perhaps again askew from the mass of this review the entire ambience of The Lawn GH was warm & friendly.
Should I need to stay in the Maidenhead area again I would consider The Lawn GH but only if all other options are full. I should add that other rooms we managed to peak into did look to be to a vastly superior standard to Room 7 but as the majority of my dissatisfaction regarding The Lawns was with the room we had and not the service had we perhaps have stayed in one of those rooms superior to room No7 this review may have been a whole lot different.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in an unrefurbished room No7
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philip P, Manager at The Lawn Guest House, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for staying at The Lawn Guest House, and for your review.
Before I reply to the objective, and salient parts of the report, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a balanced resume.

• The Late Room web site does state that refurbishment is underway at The Lawn Guest House. Room 7 now looks a lot better, post refurbishment.
• During your weekend stay, I wish you had indicated your displeasure, and I would have happily found you an alternative room, or sought a solution that you found to be satisfactory.
• To ensure food is prepared and served as fresh as possible, we cook to order. We have a comprehensive menu, and when a number of different breakfasts are ordered together, there will be a slight delay in serving.
• Prior to your stay, we conducted a Sausage Taste Test with our current Guests, and switched brands, to the one chosen by them.
• Thank you so much for remarking on those areas that you found complimentary.
• We work as a team, and try very hard to get it right, and to add value as much as the business allows.
• Most certainly, we will learn and build from your experience, during your stay with us.
Should I be in a position to be of service to you in the future, I will personally guarantee that your expectations are exceeded.
London
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at the Lawn guest house overnight for a wedding near Maidenhead. The room was very good value, in decent condition, with amazingly comfortable beds. The breakfast the next morning was superb.

It's in a very good location - around 10 mins walk from the train station/city centre, and in a quiet street so you get a very good night's sleep.

Everyone was extremely friendly and very helpful. When I left my keys there by mistake, they took the trouble of going to the post office to send them back to me the next day (free of charge).

For a stay in Maidenhead I would recommend the Lawn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends