“Lovely green thai curry”
Review of Ascot Oriental - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were staying close by and were looking for somewhere to eat and stumbled on this one.
The greeting was pleasant & the surroundings plush. We both ordered thai green curry - chicken off the menu & king prawn a special request. To go with this we had vegetable pad thai and rice with spring onions. My partner & I were surprised at the large portions. Both curries were delicious & loaded with chicken/prawn, the rice was tasty & well cooked & pad thai best I've had outside of Thailand. Came to £45 - a good price & included 2 beers. Only niggle was 12.5% service charge automatically added. Would have tipped this much anyway, just don't like to be told they've already added to the bill.

1  Thank hopalong08
There are newer reviews for Ascot Oriental

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This used to be a top class but expensive Chinese restaurant with first class food and service. On our recent visit the food was very different in quality, presentation and cooking style - greasy starters presented very differently from previously and main courses presented in dishes full of sauce and chunks of peppers and chopped up vegetables. Still expensive but that,s fine if the quality is good. We won't be going again for a while. Mistake was not looking at trip advisor before we went.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ascot Oriental has a really wide and varied menu consisting of a mix or Chinese and Thai dishes. Not the most authentic or best Chinese/Thai food I have eaten but nicely prepared and presented. However, £40 per person is a bit pricey in my book and I would expect more to justify that cost.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

No better than your average bog standard take away or restaurant, perhaps worse. If this was presented like a bog standard restaurant, with bog standard prices, then fair enough we would have merely been a little disappointed. However, everything, from the very high prices & flashy bar right down to the website stating it has the best reputation in the county, meant that went home feeling very disappointed indeed. The rum cocktails were fab, the starters were average at best but poor for the expense of this one, the seaweed was the worst I have ever eaten in my life (apart from a mouthful of real seaweed as a toddler) - The crispy lamb in lettuce wrap was dry and tasteless (it was an effort eating it - not pleasure) and the plum sauce was sickly and glue like. The service was acceptable but they included 12.5% service AUTOMATICALLY.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Family meal celebrating my wife's birthday along with my parents and brother, he had two young children so talking them to a high end restaurant could have ended in tears.

Staff were very good about being flexible about the kids tastes so everyone was happy.

The food was superb and the wine was sublime.. The bill was pretty large but consistent with the quality of the food and service. If you like high end Chinese food in tasteful surroundings where you will be well looked after then look no further.