“Bizarre hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Ascot
Birmingham
“Bizarre hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

The rooms themselves at the hotel are not too bad, but when you arrive the place looks more like a business centre than a hotel. We went for a wedding, the building where the wedding was held was the best part about this hotel.
It is not very centrally located and you have to drive to the nearest shops etc. we even had to drive to breakfast from our room, all the buildings seem quite far away from each other.
The hotel facilities were the worst, we thought we'd check out the gym in the afternoon but it looked like a derelict building and took ages to find as it wasn't sign posted very well. Once inside, there were no lights on which we were left to find and not told about by reception and the building is not staffed at all so if you were there alone and you hurt yourself on the gym equipment it could be dangerous. the area surrounding it is also very woody, and as a woman I would not feel safe around that area alone, especially if it's starting to get dark.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

i stayed here on a business trip for a 2 nights. Upon arriving at the hotel after a very long journey on a plane, bus, train and taxi, i was completely ignored at the desk. I had to ask myself if i could check in to my room. The receptionist still didnt speak to me and nodded as she got her registration card pile out. She then asked me my name and handed me the form to fill out without saying which parts to sign. I was asked to find my room in a seperate building called anderson, without being offered any help with my luggage.
when i got to my room, the window was wide open and it was freezing cold. The room was tiny. I was on my own, but i was put into a double room. If i had my partner with me it would have been impossible to stay in. The room was clean and the bed was really comfortable with loads of pillows which i like. The plasma tv was good too. The bathroom was lovely and the shower was one of the best ive ever had. A proper power shower.

I decided to wander over to the restuarant for dinner. The restuarant was empty. The gentleman that greeted me at the door was very friendly and got me a drink and handed me a menu. It was a steam bake and grill hotplate buffet style service which again was no problem to me. The main course hotplate was a disaster. I wasnt sure what anything was meant to be as it was so dried up. I think i had sausage and what was meant to be mashed potato. It reminded me of school dinners. I decided to eat off the bar menu the following evening and had the best steak ciabatta i have ever tasted. Definately avoid the restuarant.

I went for a wander around the grounds and they were stunning. Really well kept. The pond area was relaxing to sit by and the white building was nice to look at. I was lucky that the weather was nice. Outdoor pool was great!

Overall the hotel is nice but only for a business stay. I would have been very disapointed if i was there for a leisure break. I would not reccomend this to familes.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank mrsfranceschi
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

we went on the 13/3/09 i booked 3 rooms 2 doubles and a twin check in was fine and we got there at 9pm the 2 double rooms where brill plasma on the wall all clean and tidy easy a 4 star standard there were a few minor points like the seals on the windows arnt the best and a few small chips in the tiles in the bathroom but unless u where super picky you would not notice the twin rooms how ever where horrible stuck at the back of the complex where you have to drive to to get there and there was a old old 14inch portable beds where as hard as anything any room was quite dirty looked like it was a 1 star but was liveable for 1 night we payed 29 per room witch was good for the doubles as i would easyly say there are worth about 50-60 a night and should be rated at a 4 star standard but the twins bring it well down to a 1-2 star the drinks were expencive to at 3.50 per half pint of maganers and the breckfast was 9 each witch i didnt have because of the silly price that staff where all nice though and the grounds where brill theres a pool table and sperate room with big screen tv in the bar witch is nice if you were planning on staying here i would recommend it aslong as u have the double rooms

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

Just spent 2 nights here. Easy check in at Reception. Stayed in Anderson block, next to Reception.Ate dinner in on first night. 3 courses for £19. Food was great, if served a little too quickly. Breakfast was a buffet and good value for £7.50 each. Hotel is about 20 minutes drive from the centre of Windsor. The room was clean and tidy, but on the second day they didn't offer to service it until 3.45pm and by that time it was inconvenient. It was perfectly adequately sized. Bathroom was a good size, with only a shower. We ate at the Belvedere Arms on second night. Food was superb - the service was excellent and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

My partner and I booked this hotel in December '08, taking advantage of Sunningdale parks '£19 a room' offer. Usually I would always look at Tripadvisor first for reviews, however for £19 and after looking at the website I thought it would be fine. The night before we stayed - I had a quick look on Tripadvisor to see if there were any tips regarding how to get there and where to eat and was horrified to see that it had been ranked 6th out of 7 hotels in the area.

I was seriously considering cancelling, however as it was a special offer, I couldn't get my money refunded so thought we may as well go, prepare for the worst and if it was that bad, we could always travel home (live less than an hours drive away).

Well, I am *so* glad we went - I arrived at 4:30 and was promptly greeted at reception by a very friendly receptionist who told me that I was in Chaucer house so I needed to drive there, gave me a map and a key - therefore I would reccomend to all that you don't take your luggage with you when checking in (I didn't, as I had read the reviews saying there is a chance you have to drive to your room). The 'drive' took approximately 30 seconds so hardly any distance at all and not that inconvenient.

Ample parking and barrier control so unless you're a guest, you can't park in the carpark.

Chaucer wasn't much to look at - yes, student village is a good way to describe it, but you're hardly going to spend your entire time looking at the outside, are you? I'd agree with it looking like a student hall down the corridoors as well - BUT there was no musty smell, either in the corridoor or the room.

My room (108) was very nice - I opened the door to find fresh, fluffy white towels (no marks) on my bed, complimentary shower products and facilities to make tea / coffee. Small TV and not a bad view. The bed was pretty hard (which was great for my back) and the bathroom was fairly clean.

I took some photos as soon as I got in the room - please see attached.

Why not a 5 star? Well, the shower head was quite limescaled and there was very slight mould in one of the corners - I also saw a couple of hairs in the shower pan. Also, behind the door in the bathroom, there was dust, so I think the cleaner had just done a 'quick' clean! There were also a couple of marks on the throw on my bed (took a photo) and my table lamp didn't work (couldn't be bothered to phone reception as the other lights worked).

The high speed internet was VERY high speed and extremely easy to access - I sent a 3MB file within 5 seconds and usually it takes about 30 seconds on my companies 100mbps connection so was very impressed. The location was utterly amazing, we went out for a walk in the morning of the next day and we saw woodpeckers, finches, etc - I had my camera, but sadly only managed to take a photo of a rabbit! I would reccomend an early morning walk, listening to the birds is lovely. It was also incredibly quiet, there was no noise at all and the room was a very pleasant temperature (I had the window open all night long).

I would pay up to about £40 per night for Sunningdale park - The receptionist on check out was really friendly and told us where we could park in town to get a Starbucks coffee and seemed very accomodating. I was charged for breakfast (which we didn't go to) but 5 seconds of querying and the other receptionist took it straight off so remember how much you're paying and if you're not entirely convinced, query it!

I would go back there if there was another special offer, it was quiet, the room was more than adequate and the grounds were lovely - yes, the hotel is geared up towards 'National School for Government', however it seems that's only during the week, so at the weekend it's more just hotel guests and weddings so seems less busy.

We didn't eat there - we got a Dominos in, they were very quick, make sure you tell the staff that you're off Silwood road if you stay in Chaucer, else they'll go to the main reception :-)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holly_82
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

The staff here were brilliant, friendly and chatty. The £7.50 breakfast in the 'steam and bake' was well presented and plentiful. So long as your are prepared for a campus venue and take advantage of the £19 room rate promotion, its an ok deal.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

This is a quirky set-up: a government training and conference centre shared with a hotel. The room was basic, but clean and we paid £59 per room per night for a weekend when the races were on at Ascot. The "restaurant" is a canteen, but the food was ok and not bad value. If you are looking for a romantic getaway in luxurious surroundings, this isn't for you. If, like us, you want a clean bed and shower close to Ascot, it's ideal

• Stayed February 2009
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Royal Berkshire Hotel
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
3.0 of 5 bubbles 3,423 reviews
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Sunningdale Park? Share your experiences!