“Adequate hotel - but don't expect to have a lie-in”
Review of Sunningdale Park

Sunningdale Park
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ascot
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to going to Royal Ascot. On arrival hotel seemed quite busy as we had difficulty in finding a parking place. Eventually had to park at the front of the hotel while we checked in. Check in was relatively smooth and we were given a key fob to park at the rear of the hotel. Hotel rooms are set out like a military/school block, but the grounds of the hotel were lovely. Our room was quite small but was clean and presentable. There was free wi-fi.
We didn't dine at the hotel in the evening choosing to go into nearby Egham to eat.
We had a reasonable nights sleep but were surprised to find that brerakfast was only served to 9am on weekdays!! No lie-in for us then. The breakfast itself was very nice with ample choice and buffet style full english. The chef cooked your eggs to your liking.
We were also surprised that check out had to be done by 10am - as we were going to Ascot racecorse we would have had a couple of hours to kill so paid £5 for an extended check out until 12noon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hi Rojo447

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor, regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue.

The team and I are delighted to read your feedback, thrilled that over all you enjoyed yourself, even if in your opinion the bedroom buildings resembled Military/School Blocks, a tad harsh I have to say. However as you say the grounds are lovely so I am sure you would agree this would more than make up for the exterior bedroom appearance.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park very soon! Incidentally the next big race weekend is the 26th July. In the meantime have a splendid week.

Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue , Ascot, Berkshire,SL5 OQE

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Have just come back from a long weekend at this hotel and I cannot understand the bad reviews. It was a great hotel for the price, the grounds are lovely, the breakfast was great, the rooms were very clean and comfy. If I have a complaint it's that Sunday morning was a bit noisy, the walls are a bit thin and the wedding party from Saturday was quite vocal going for breakfast, but I have no other complaints.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Hello Elaine C

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. The team and I are delighted to read your feedback and thrilled overall you enjoy your stay: Excellent.

You know the old saying “One should not always believe what one reads”. life sometimes can be a pleasant surprise.

We all genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park very soon! In the meantime have a good week.

De Vere Venues Sunningdale Parki

Reviewed June 16, 2013

we have never written a review, but this place definitely needed one. welcomed by reception was pleasant. showed us Where our room was and closest restaurant.

Parking was a bit of a nightmare.

Walking towards Anderson block...which all look like a block of nasty flats. we Went in to our room which we couldn't get over how small it was, but was Clean...I'll give them that. The door pretty much touched the corner of the bed. We Noticed there was only one bedside lamp and table. So had to reach over my partner to get my cheap coffee. no hot drinks from room service, could only buy fizzy drinks or alcohol. which isn't what you want before going to sleep. Had to pay £3.50 for delivery if your order was under £15. Didn't realize they're room service was based in Africa. I can send a letter to Africa for less.

Then the bathroom. Wow. What a disgrace. The toilet roll holder was literally hanging on for dear life. The shower leaked and leaked all night long. Half of the shower head had nothing coming out of it. Very...refreshing. not.

Then the bed... I couldn't class that as a double. Had to be 10cm bigger than a single bed.

And to end this I loved listening to everyone else's conversation and what they were watching on tv. At one point we could actually sing along with a song someone was playing. Also listening to people walking up and down the stairs. So we felt we had to whisper to each other for the rest of our stay.

£59 isn't a lot for a hotel room. But for this place it was definitely over priced. The hotel is trying to be and sound like something they are not! don't be fooled by there're pictures.

• Stayed: June 2013

Hello Ashyd

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. Firstly and foremost I personally apologise I did not meet your expectations while residing at Sunningdale Park.

De Vere has 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 33 venues across the UK, all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different. Sunningdale, like many of our Venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, free Wifi, restaurants, training rooms, free flowing tea, coffee & biscuits buffets in our salons, pitch & putt, tennis courts and a mini gym, all situated across 65 acres of rolling parkland, as stated on our web page and third party web pages.

I regret that you did not have time to speak either to my Operations Manger or I, during your short stay as we were both on hand, allowing us the opportunity to discuss face to face, your frustrations at the time. Indeed regrettable. The team and I are very much interested to hear positive, and non positive comments when they arise, as we use these to strengthen our service offering at Sunningdale. The Venue offers, we believe, excellent worth and splendid hospitality; I am sorry you see Sunningdale differently. .

Once again thank you for taking the time to e-mail Trip Advisor with your personal comments.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked our weekend away based upon general online reviews and the gallery of official photos including the one of a mansion house building in beautiful grounds. Don't be fooled - In reality the mansion house is for conferences and weddings and closed to the public froom noon each day. The lodgings are akin to university lodgings and there is a buffet canteen on campus. The rooms are tiny ... and I mean tiny. The "double" room was more like a single room with a small double bed. The way to define it being a double was there were 4 pillows!!! The restaurant is a buffet service with very limited choice - service was also exceptionally slow- very disappointing. Overall poor experience and will not go back. Due to great experiences in other DeVere hotels we thought we knew what we were getting but bitterly disappointed here. Advise you seek other hotels to stay in Ascot/Windsor.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Thehotelcrictic

De Vere has 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 33 venues across the UK, all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different. Sunningdale, like many of our Venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, free Wifi, restaurants, training rooms, free flowing tea, coffee & biscuits buffets in our salons, pitch & putt, tennis courts and a mini gym, all situated across 65 acres of rolling parkland, as stated on our web page.

I genuinely regret that you did not have time to speak either to my Duty Manger or I, during your short stay as we were both on hand, allowing us the opportunity to discuss your frustrations at the time. Indeed regrettable. The team and I are always interested to hear positive, and non positive comments as we use these to strengthen our service offering at Sunningdale Park. The Venue offers, we believe, excellent worth and splendid hospitality; I am sorry you see Sunningdale differently. .

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently attended a wedding venue here and the whole stay was superb!

As someone who spend my early career running weddings for a 5* wedding venue I can sometimes find that I am too critical, however I am now pleasantly reassured that certain standards can still be met!

Check in was swift, which has been an issues at other De Vere places I have stayed!

The wedding seemed to go off with out a hitch (from what I could tell as a guest)

The food was served quickly, with just enough time between courses and It was all of the correct temperature (hot enough to eat but not stupidly hot or luke warm). The food was also of an excellent standard for a large group or Banquet and presented beautifully!

The table linen was white (not an off white as with so many places), was in good condition and all the rooms we saw were clean.

All of the staff were polite, helpful and did all they could. This was a necessity at this venue as it is set in many different buildings spread around large grounds so without a "map" and some guidance from friendly staff it could be a bit confusing............Well done!!

I would not have any issues recommending this venue to anyone

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yksglobetrotter
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hello Yksglobetrotter,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your very recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. I have shared your comments with my team this afternoon at our operational tea summit.

The team and I are really please to read your feedback and thrilled that you did enjoyed your stay. Your right when one has worked in the
Hello Yksglobetrotter,

The team and I are really please to read your feedback and thrilled that you did enjoyed your stay. Your right when one has working in the hospitality business , it is subsequently hard to switch off when visiting a business that you have nothing to do with, although glad we did not disappoint you,.

Once again thank you for taking the time out to submit your comments, we as a team really appreciate it. I do hope we can welcome you back to Sunningdale Park very soon! In the meantime enjoy the rest of your week.

Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue , Ascot, Berkshire,SL5 OQE
business , it is subsequently hard to switch off when visiting a Venue/Restaurant /Hotel, although glad we did not disappoint you,.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good hotel, quiet and clean, with many facilities. People are charming and very professional...we stayed only one night, a wedding occured nearby. Breakfast is amazing...
Good place to organize a seminar as well ! the environment is peacefull, charming english countryside !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Cath-Paris,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. I have shared your comments with my team this morning at morning prayers .The team and I are delighted to read your feedback, thrilled that over all you enjoyed yourself.

Your absolutely right you know , we live in such a busy world its nice to find an environment that is peaceful , obviously enhanced with charming English countryside , we agreed with you whole heartily.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park very soon! In the meantime enjoy the rest of your week and have a great weekend.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just a warning to others thinking of staying at the De Veres Sunningdale. If you are sharing a room with a companion, this hotel has a policy of providing only one key per room. When I tried to explain why it would be terribly inconvenient not to have a second key, I was dismissed rudely and talked over as I tried to find a reasonable resolution.This sort of gruff and uncaring attitude towards guests has been apparent elsewhere during my stay, though I must say others have been quite professional - so its a bit of a mixed bag. The rooms are nothing special, but are ok. Overall I would not recommend the De Veres Sunningdale Park due to the lack of hospitality of some of its staff and its inconvenient and customer unfriendly policies regarding keys.

Room Tip: Staff won't provide a second key per room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank E G
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hello EG

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. Firstly and foremost, I personal apologies for not meeting your expectations during your short stay at Sunningdale Park.

Our bedroom key policy is just one key per room as we know from experience keys are missed placed, subsequently causing a security issue. However if a client does request a second key, we do after explaining our policy supply a key, in this case we dropped the ball ; Sorry. This procedure I will review with my Front of House Manager and the whole of the reception team on Tuesday 28th May 2012 at10.30am.

“Overall I would not recommend the De Veres Sunningdale Park due to the lack of hospitality of some of its staff and its inconvenient and customer unfriendly policies regarding keys. “ I regret you did not ask to speak to either my Duty Manager or I , during your stay , allowing us the opportunity to address your frustration face to face, rather than through a blanket of anonymity. I be delighted if you would e-mail me a telephone number and I could call you to talk further off line about hospitality at Sunningdale .

I personally apologies again and thank you for taking time out to write to me with your feedback. The team and I, genuinely see all feedback good or bad as a gift, allowing us to strength our service going forward. I really do hope we are able to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park soon, you know its not all bad and really rather a hidden Jewel in leafy sunny Berkshire.

Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue , Ascot, Berkshire,SL5 OQE

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Travelodge Bracknell Central
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#4 of 7 in Bracknell

Been to Sunningdale Park? Share your experiences!