“Welcome after a long day”
Review of Sunningdale Park

Sunningdale Park
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ascot
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Arrived here in the early hours of the morning and was given a room in the upstairs of Anderson block. (this does appear like an old training establishment for the military which has been taken over by the DeVere group). Check in was nice and easy and the car park at the front was very full. However i did manage to find a slot to place my vehicle. The room was of average size with a desk in front of the window and a reasonable size double bed. A seperate small bathroom with a shower cubicle etc,(no bath). A small hand towel was on the bed with 2 complimentary shower/bath gels and a soap. The large bath towels were on a heated towel rail in the bathroom along with a floor towel to satnd on as the bathroom floor is all tiled.
tea and coffee making facilities were in the room as was an iron in the storage cupboard. The windows all have blinds to pull down on the 3 sides. two blinds for the large window and one either side. there were curtains for the side windows only. The room was very clean and tidy. As its in a block there are noises from persons walking along and using their facilities in the adjoining rooms. The shower gave a very good jet of hot water and was very welcoming to spend time under it.
The restaurant area and bar are a walk away and there are umbrellas in tyhe doorways of the blocks for guests to use. Although very cold and sleety i didnt use a brolly wnd there were some for use in Anderson block.
When you enter the dining room/restaurant area a maitre-dee takes your room number and shows you to a table. There is coffee making facilities just outside the dining room for guests to help themselves. The dining area is quite spacious and the food was buffet service which you helped yourself to. As i was only there for breakfast on this occasion there was plenty of cereals etc and the full English cooked to help yourself to. Bread was provided next to the toaster where you had to help yourself. Tea and coffee was served to your table by the polite staff working here. There was also a choice of pastries to help yoursef to as well.
For the price this is a good place to stay and we stayed here last year as well for a few days. very close to Ascot race course, legoland etc.
In all you get what you pay for and the staff are very polite and helpful. I would stay here again though the rooms would be crowded with sharing with someone. As it was for business use this was fine for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Anderson block
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Hello Tony

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. The team and I read with glee your comments and I note them.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and would return, admittedly only for business but hay as we are a Venue and specialise in business/ training that’s excellent news.

I really do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park Venue soon!.

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Not too sure what De Vere are really trying to deliver here in tree lined sunningdale park.
Strange check in and drive on to what can only be described as a mix between a barracks (we had ex military families in our group that verified authenticity) and a uni campus. Totally inadequate parking, but great staff. None knew how to get back to the M3 a major road in the area? It was pouring with rain and got a soaking every time I walked from one building to another
( it seemed that the free umberellas supplied were always at the destination location?)

Rooms small, old, tired and the vent in the bathroom stayed on all night. The bed was rock hard and slide around the room on castors, so moved every time I turned over.

The food was less than basic, with a buffet at the grill on the other side of campus on a very rainy night. Not fun even in the golf buggy with the sweetest driver, the food was all dried up under lights.

Breakfast in the house was no better, with overlooked fried eggs left any longer would have been better played with as frizbys on the wonderful lawns in the grounds.

Love the wild life though with the owl hooting through the night in the pine woods.

Could hear everything and I mean everything that was going on in the room next door. I'll leave this end comment up to the readers imagination to complete. Please sound proof very thin partition walls!

Won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Goodfoodknight
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Hello Guest ,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. I personally apologise I did not meet your expectations while residing at Sunningdale Park Venue.

De Vere have 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 33 venues across the UK all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different. Sunningdale, like many of our venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, restaurants and training rooms, across the estate, as stated on our web page. I regret you perceived the Venue differently. That is most regrettable.

The team and I work tirelessly to meet all our guests’ expectations, and when we do not, we all work devilishly hard to correct the situation. I genuinely regret you did not ask to speak to my Duty Manager, or I during your stay as we were on hand, allowing us the opportunity to address your personal frustration at the time. You know

Kyran Bradley

Reviewed March 20, 2013

From the moment we arrived on Friday evening through to our departure on Sunday morning we were extremely impressed with the friendly, courteous and professional personal service we received. Nothing was any trouble & the amount of questions and requests we made were all dealt with calmly & efficiently.
The day was totally managed the day from the start, right through the reception and into the evening.

We would also like to compliment the chef(s), kitchen staff and the waiting staff. We hardly knew they were there when they were serving the tables. I particularly noticed the way the service was synchronized when the meals were brought in. Absolutely superb.

We would have no hesitation in recommending Northcote and De Vere for weddings and/or an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Les C
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Mr Cooper,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your daughters recent Wedding at Northcote House Sunningdale Park Venue. The Team and I are genuinely bowled over with your lovely comments and elated everything went so well from the moment of your arrival to the actual Wedding Day ; Wonderful.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we really do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale very soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

On arriving at Sunningdales in the March darkness found reception but the carpark was full so advised to use the overspill carpark down the road. Well I found the overspill - pitch black carpark, 3 cars only very dubious and insecure by an old water tower. 2-3 minutes walk back to reception in darkness and questionable directions - the reception staff were fine and friendly. I was given a map and key for Chaucers block which was 5 mins walk away in the opposite direction from the overspill carpark - so found the room (after 3 dead end trails) then went back for the car and drove through the grounds to park literally outside my room in its own smaller carpark. A good half hour all told. To be fair, once inside, the room was quiet good and spacious. The whole hotel is like a college campus - it feels like it was once an RAF accomodation site? 50's/ 60's style exteriors etc. The bar / restaurant was about 5 minutes away and this was acceptable for half an hour before the fire alarm went off and it was all out - we decided to eat in Ascot for the next 2 nights 10 mins drive away and back to civilisation. I was expecting a lot more from this hotel but if in the area again I would go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room in Chaucers block - its 5 mins away but from reading other experiences - the best quality...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Hello OJK

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. Firstly and foremost I personally apologise I did not meet your expectations while residing at Sunningdale Park Venue.

De Vere have 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 33 venues across the UK all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different. Sunningdale, like many of our Venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, restaurants and training rooms, across the estate, as stated on our web page. The Venue offers worth and great hospitality, I regret you see Sunningdale differently and would go elsewhere when next in the area. That is most regrettable.

The team and I work tirelessly to meet all our guests’ expectations, and when we do not, we all work devilishly hard to correct the situation. I am genuinely upset you did not ask to speak to me during your stay as I am always on the estate, giving me the opportunity to address your personal unhappiness while residing at Sunningdale.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The first hygene factor of a hotel is for a guest to feel safe and secure. I can say that on this very basic requirement, this hotel failed massivley. I am a single female traveller and the layout of this hotel is an incident waiting to happen. I was told to walk through a pitch black bush and tree lined lane which took me a good 5 minutes, to get to my block of rooms which from the ouside looked like a prison building. As I approached the block, unsure of where I was because the signage had no lighting, there were several single men standing around the doorway smoking cigarettes, it was very intimidating. I got to my room and could not sleep all night for worrying about the fact that there was no security in the block, what if someone forced their way into my room, I was ill at the thought of it. the room itself was grim. A tiny tv in the corner, hardly watchable, the hardest and most uncomfortable bed I have ever experienced and an incredibly thin duvet. I could hear people talking, shouting, screeming, banging doors and music ect all night. It took me thirty minutes to take a shower, the water pressure was a ridiculous trickle. Room service looked dissapointing so I went out for dinner, and also just to get away from this horrible place for a few hours, I was dreading having to come back but I had to make that scary walk back to my room from reception again. I wont be having breakfast as I just want to get out of here, its like being in an institution.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you like prisons or care homes as accomoation.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hello Patnclaire

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. Firstly and foremost I personally apologise I did not meet your expectations while staying at Sunningdale Park Venue.

De Vere have 2 product offerings; De Vere Hotels and De Vere Venues. Sunningdale Park is part of the De Vere Venues family. We have 31 venues across the UK all of which we feel offer our guest something slightly different. Sunningdale, like many of our venues, has purpose built buildings; bedrooms, restaurants and training rooms, across the estate, as stated on our web page. I regret you perceived the venue differently. That is most regrettable.

The team and I work tirelessly to meet all our guests’ expectations, and when we do not, we work devilishly hard to correct the situation. I genuinely regret you did not ask to speak to my Duty Manager, Night Manager or I during your stay, allowing us the opportunity to address your frustration at the time. You know writing on a third party website, with what I would simply say are derogative comments, both about Sunningdale Park and its clients, is a tad boorish, although its your prerogative. I would be more than happy to talk to you off line if you would be kind enough to e-mail me your telephone number so I may call you . I look forward to hearing from you soon!.

Once again I thank you for taking the time to write to me with your feedback, and I apologise again I did not meet your expectations in this instance.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at Sunningdale Park for a couple of nights in Chaucer 'block' while at a business conference. The venue appears to be solely geared up for business and conference bookings, so I was surprised to read that people stayed here for other reasons. As others have said, accommodation is very similar to college-style blocks, and I think some are much better than others. Chaucer (the furthest away from the Reception) is about a 5 minute walk but the rooms are spacious, and the bathrooms well appointed. Tea and coffee are available (no biscuits) and couldn't see that there was any room service which is what you would expect from a 'normal' hotel. The main restaurant on the 'campus' serves buffet style food, which is fine (nice to have an omelette option at breakfast, althougth tracking someone down to do it for you can be difficult). [Very nice, smiley Scottish lady on the desk - she provides very good customer service]. Not sure what happens to 'normal' diners - perhaps they eat in the large house (Northcote), again another 5 mins walk from Reception, and the original civil service college. The park is in extended grounds and probably looks very pretty in spring and summer. Personally, I'd choose somewhere else to stay if I was on my own or staying with friends.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the blocks that have been renovated - possibly worth checking before booking in. Nea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
KyranBradley, General Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Sunningdale Park Venue. I will be honest the team and I are genuinely infatuated about trying to gain as much information as we can from our guests about their experience during their stay; good and not so good. ((Ideally if it’s not good we would really like them to talk to us before they leave)

I have taken on broad your feedback regard the making of omelettes and will looking into this matter with Paul the Head Chef. Your right no biscuits in the bedrooms although we have oodles at out coffee stations in our lounges across the estate. I regret you could not find our room service menu in the bedroom and will take this up with my Housekeeper; we have slipped up here as it’s a smashing offering.

Yes it has to be said is a great motivator when the team read that their efforts have been appreciated “ Very Nice Scottish Lady “ that’s Dorothy and she will be tickled pink with that feedback : Box Chocs for Dorothy

Once again thank you for taking the time to e-mail Trip Advisor with your personal comments. You know it is very nice in the spring; we really do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park Venue soon, either by yourself or with friends!!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We took advantage of a bargain break at Sunningdale Park on a very cold and snowy weekend in Feb. The welcome by the reception staff was pleasant and helpful. Although the outside of the buildings reminded us of our college days, the rooms inside, by comparison to our time on campus, were spacious and of course they were very tidy ,clean and very warm.Unlike some other hotels we have stayed in we were not made to feel that bargain meant being crammed into a cupboard. It was a cool and sometimes damp walk to the dinning room but it was well worth it.The staff were very helpful, even though I have a wheat allergy here at Sunningdale that was not a problem. Gluten free bread was readily available on request at breakfast and the staff explain what I could eat from the dinner menu, there was a good choice.I am going to spread the word to my other fussy eater friends and we will be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
KyranBradley, Front Office Manager at Sunningdale Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Hello Patricia

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback to TripAdvisor re your recent visit to Sunningdale Park Venue, your comments are terribly appreciated and I note them.

The team and I are genuinely thrilled to read that over all you enjoyed your stay, in particular “I am going to spread the word to my other fussy eater friends and we will be returning".

We genuinely do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunningdale Park soon!!

Sunningdale Park, Larch Avenue , Ascot, Berkshire,SL5 OQE

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Sunningdale Park? Share your experiences!