“Get a Grip”

Squires Restaurant
Ranked #159 of 279 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Behind the imposing 17th-century portico of the White Hart Hotel, Squires is an elegant traditional restaurant in the centre of the cathedral city of Salisbury. Renowned for its gutsy British cuisine, the kitchen uses seasonal local ingredients to produce hearty dishes such as braised oxtail with rosemary or roast leg of English lamb, with a hot and cold buffet at lunchtime. The cosy window tables offer views over the attractive enclosed courtyard.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went today as a Salisbury local for afternoon tea. 5.15 Sunday afternoon. As per usual we were ignored by the staff. Young guys and girls oblivious of our presence - not even rushed, just do not put customers first. After 15 minutes I complained to the receptionist, we waited a further five minutes and then left. It has happened before as well.

Just not good enough. Also horrible modern art on wall. We went to Red Lion in the end and ended up happy.

1  Thank David H

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Quite a formal yet relaxed atmosphere here, service was friendly and efficient and our particular waitress had a wicked sense of humour too (she needed it to be able to deal with the aloof and rude American guests she had to deal with)
Though a very limited a la carte menu the food was of a very high quality and very well presented, and surprisingly not overly expensive.
With Salisbury having very few culinary delights on offer Squires certainly made for a pleasant change from all the rest.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went for a celebration meal at Squires. The place had a strange feeling, not much atmosphere and all the patrons seemed to be competing to see who could be the quietest.
The food was, on the whole, OK but the soup starter was far far too salty, to the extent that it was inedible. I did mention this to the waiter, and heard another lady mention the same, however it was not deducted from the bill (and I didn't have the kahunas to ask for it to be, having already moaned about it once!).
Disappointed that the chef seems unable to taste his/her food before serving.

1  Thank Cam_bobs
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We went for lunch and enjoyed the experience very much.
The restaurant was laid up nicely.
The staff were very attentive and the food excellent.
We were asked if we would like our coffee in the hotel lounge which we accepted and that was in very comfortable surroundings.

1  Thank LurkerDave
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My parents love Squires and go regularly. Back in March they took me and my husband along for lunch. Having grown up in Salisbury I always thought that the White Hart was the poshest hotel in the city and so I had always assumed the restaurant would be pricey. I was wrong - four of us ate starter and main course in elegant surroundings with courteous staff for less than £70 total. You can easily spend that for a second-rate meal in a pub.

There's a sizeable carvery which everyone else had whilst I - the non-meat eater - had a mushroom risotto delivered to the table. I would have felt a bit left out of the carvery vegetables if my dish hadn't been so good.

Despite being quite posh the waiting staff put no pressure on us to buy lots of drinks and offered a jug of water even before we ordered wine and other drinks. My mother was on crutches after a hip operation and a young waiter guided her round the carvery holding her plate so she could balance on her crutches.

It's more popular with older diners and does good deals for OAPs and regulars tend to get discount vouchers.

1  Thank Koshkha