“Superb quality”

Howards House
Ranked #71 of 269 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Superb quality”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Howards House is very special - the whole setting is amazing - very peaceful.

The food is fantastic as log as you aren't expecting huge portions. I often find I leave a restaurant feeling over full but a meal here leaves me feeling just right.

The service is second to none.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Good country house hotel.”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

In the heart of the Nadder Valley this is a real gem. Great weekend get away in a beautiful setting.

Visited May 2012
“This is THE place”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Super setting in lovely village. Wonderful ambience and first class food together with attentive service.

• Visited August 2011
UK
“Heard good things - all true...”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Had seen this advertised in Wiltshire Life or similar, and noted the details for a future date. Finally had the excuse needed and went with family for a special occasion. The food & service was excellent, along with the surroundings. It's the details which will ensure we return. A little off the beaten track, so wondered what the unique selling point might be... It certainly lived up to the reviews.
The whole dining experience could not be faulted - from the quality of produce to the range of dishes on the menu. Appropriate to allow the chef to focus on quality & presentation. We liked the lounge & log fire pre/post meal. They have a well-stocked humidor, even if you have to enjoy outdoors in the well kempt garden with pleasant vista.
Howard House will now be on our shortlist when looking for something special - and we will definitely be going back. Salivating at the thought…

• Visited April 2012
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Never fails”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I've been here probably five or six times in the past and have never been disappointed, in fact I've always been amazed by the quality of the food, the service, the setting etc etc. Today I thought I'd give myself a treat after taking the dog for a long walk and on the drive over there I decided that this time I'd really try and find something wrong with Howard's House.

I rang up from the car, asked if they could have a table for one for lunch and that I'd be over in half an hour. Also, as it's a nice day, could I eat outside? When I arrived I was shown to the beautiful terrace where a table had been prepared for me. Spotless white linen with starched napkins that you could probably shave with! One swift look at the menu was enough to decide, and I was given the choice of a small but excellent selection of half bottles (always good for a single diner) and then a pastis for an aperitif. My chosen first course was terrine of ham hock. Three beautifully presented medallions of ham with lightly pickled onion and tiny florets of cauliflower. Stunning! I should mention the wine. A half bottle of very good Menetou Salon. Crisp, subtle and perfect for my choice of courses.

The main course? Fillet of turbot served on a bed of wilted pak choi and rough mashed fried potato. Excellent! And then the desert! The lightest soufflé I have ever experienced. Black cherry. The sort of flavour that can be overpowering but this was subtle and combined with the scoop of ice cream made a taste sensation. Last but not least, an espresso with home made petit fours.

I've tried to pick holes, just as I have tried to be not too gushing with my praise, but I've failed miserably on both counts. This place is one of those rare jewels that continue to maintain the sort of standards that would cost you an arm and a leg and the mortgage on your house if it was in London. If you are anywhere within a 100 mile radius of Howard's House, GO THERE!

• Visited February 2012