“December Treat!”
Review of Haunch of Venison

Haunch of Venison
Reserve with OpenTable
Haunch of Venison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 269 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: One of the city's most historic pub, and listed on CAMRA's National Inventory as one of the most historic interiors in the UK, The Haunch is packed with history, reputedly haunted by the ghost of the cheating card player, whose mummified hand is displayed in the upper 'House of Lords' Bar, with the snug 'Horsebox' allegedly the meeting place of Churchill and Eisenhower whilst planning the D-Day landings! With a spacious first floor restaurant, and a recent ownership change, The Merchant's House dining room on the first floor (entrance through pub) features a contemporary British menu specializing in local ingredients which include our famous venison casserole, superb selection of local meats and fish. Complemented with a specialist whiskey list, fine wine list and local hand - pulled real ales, as well as very friendly service, The Haunch is a definite 'must see' on your visit to Salisbury!
Bristol, United Kingdom
“December Treat!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were visiting Salisbury for the New Year and visited the Haunch for dinner on 30th December 2013. I booked the table for 6 (three couples) via email - quite painless and simple and Tracey was very helpful (including giving us directions from our hotel).

On the night we arrived on time - there was only one other table booked (which we found quite surprising) but the open fire was lit and all was well.

The food was excellent - we all went for the £25 set Christmas meal, excellent value. The service was attentive but unobtrusive (Tracey was quite happy to take photos for us).

All in all a very nice evening with a great meal. I would be happy to visit again

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sad”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We went here for a family lunch last new year. It was quiet but there was a roaring log fire. This year we returned. We were the only people there and there was no fire - infact without a coat on it was rather cold. The food was fine, although perhaps a little more expensive than one would have thought. It just seemed like a sad place.

Hedge End, United Kingdom
“Great Xmas Meal”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Attended a work's evening meal (about 12 people in total). Food was of a very high standard...and hot! All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We sat upstairs and had the room to ourselves. All in all, a great night out.

Athens, Greece
“Far from great!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited the haunch on a recommendation for a quirky pub and decided to treat myself to dinner. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Despite being the only person in there, I stood at the entrance for 10mins whilst I waited for any member of staff to appear. After this time, a chef appeared and I enquirer as to whether or not anyone wa working as I'd like a table. He seemed almost bemused at me asking, and grunted of course before shuffling off the the kitchen.

A young girl came out to seat me, and promptly sat me in the corner, next to an open window, in the middle of December! What took so long I don't know as the tables weren't even laid completely. Perhaps she was busy admiring her new acrylic nails which she spent some time telling the next table who arrived about - instead of fetching my food from the kitchen following the ping of the bell.

I placed my order, creamy mushrooms with a soft cheese in puff pastry. Eventually the food arrived, and it was quite clearly just the garlic mushrooms from the starter (which the lady on the table next to me had ordered by that time) and a small piece of cheese (I struggled to find it!) which a layer of burnt puff pastry on top.

For the money paid, I expected better. Better quality food, and better quality service.

I won't be returning.

salisbury wiltshire
“haunchof venison”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

dined there sunday 15th december party of five we had 3 turkey dinners i roast venison and one venison stew meal were all very good only two staff up stairs so we had to wait lovely pudding chocloate sponge lemon pudding raspberry roularde and coffee pudding staff very friendly

1 Thank simonf4