“Very personal and friendly welcome at Sarum College”
Review of Sarum College

Sarum College
Ranked #14 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very personal and friendly welcome at Sarum College”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was working in Salisbury and was booked in by a colleague so didn't know what to expect. My train was delayed, I missed my connection and therefore didn't arrive until very late, after the Close gates were locked for the night. But the kind staff came to let me in - they had stayed up especially to welcome me. My room was simple but very clean and comfortable and I met really interesting people. A stunning and peaceful location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at Sarum College this year for my neighbours wedding, alls I had heard about it was that it was sixth form college come hotel. Our room was situated right at the top floor and at the rear of the hotel. The room had a long type area with a sofa and desk but no tv. The bedroom was a lot smaller, only able to fit the two beds in it. Then the bathroom was of a nice size off of the bedroom. The rooms were really tidy, and we had a nice view over some gardens and could see the cathedral from our bedroom. The location is extraordinary! So close to the cathedral and parking is easy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
CNielsenCraig, Public Relations Manager at Sarum College, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Sarum is a further education college which and also offers conference and B&B facilities.
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have just spent a weekend at Sarum College situated in the Cathedral Close in Salisbury. I was on a craft weekend.

The College is a fine old building - and currently undergoing a fair amount of building work. This could be a problem for visitors during the week, but the weekend was free of men working.

My bedroom was clean, spacious and comfortable, but some would call it spartan. There was no television or radio which for me, was absolutely wonderful, but there was a kettle and an assortment of teas/coffee. The en suite was perfectly adequate and clean.

Our group was on a breakfast, lunch and dinner deal and all the food was well cooked and tasty, with vegetarian options or special dietary requirements available upon request. The public rooms and facilities were good, the refectory was good and the lift was efficient.

The only real problem was the noisy plumbing, but after a while, even that became part of the place's character.

The situation of the College is ideal - within very easy reach of the restaurants and shops and of course, only a few moments away from the Cathedral. The College has its own car park.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Granny&Grumpy
Housdton, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I hate to be the only one who gives a negative review. We did not even stay there because of a mix-up in booking . I booked a reservation for June 16, 2011 on May 22., and my credit card was charged for the fee of 70 pouds sterling It was a few days later that I realized that I meant to book for June 15, because we already had a booking for June 16 at Oxford University. I emailed Sarum , and asked if I could change their booking to June 15 , and explained the reasoning . They never replied to my email . So I tried once again a couple days later, with no response , and once again later. I was traveling in the US from June 1-4 , and also from June 9-11 , and checked Emails regularly. I think that it might have been possible that they emailed me , but , if so, the message did not come through. The management of Sarun claims that they sent an email confirming the switch from June June 16 to June 15. I have asked them if they could send me a copy of the email that I could read . I did not want their current words , but what the email actually said about a month ago. I have not received it. They even stated that I had called them by telephone in the UK from the USA, and was told that the booking for June 15 was confirmed. This is totally inaccurate . I thought about calling them , but the procedure was too expensive and too confusing for me, and I thought the problem would have been solved electronically. I have never in my life made a personal phone call anywhere in the UK After a while , when I had no response from them I booked another lodging in Salisbury , because the lodgings were more expensive and becoming in short supply . The new booking was 25 pounds more expensive. Perhaps I should have pursued the matter more diligently , but I assumed the June 16 booking had been canceld by Sarum

Whe we were checking our credit card account, we noticed the charge from Sarum , when we never had even stayed with them . They charged the A/C on May 22 . We assumed they were not to charge for the booking until we showed up , or were no-shows. I summation, I do not think they should have made the charge until the 15th of June, and they should have made more effort to let me know that they were still holding the booking for June 15th. The fact that they said there was a message , and the phone call I supposedly made were bogus . I told them that probaly Sarum and our family were probably at least partially responsible for the mix-up , but I thought they should refund our money . I even stated that I would be willing to accept a return of half the money. So far they have not done anything to resolve the situation in any manner. I am still waiting for them to do what is right for this type situation

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimbob22-11
CNielsenCraig, Public Relations Manager at Sarum College, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
We sincerely regret that this customer is unhappy with his experience in booking a room at Sarum College.

As the other reviews indicate, this is quite an unusual situation for us!

We have a different view of the events recounted in this review, have been in email contact with this customer and are completely committed to continuing to correspond directly with him until the matter is resolved.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We booked a room here for a quick stop on our way elsewhere in England. Now we wished we'd stayed longer than 2 days. Although these are basically dorm rooms, they are well appointed and all the basics are there (big towels, good shower water pressure, in-room tea making tray, large desk) - there's even an elevator, which is not common in the B&B's we've stayed in England. The view of Salisbury Cathedral from our window (room 402) was magnificant. It's hard to beat the location - right in Salisbury Cathedral close (grounds) - which was absolutely tranquil and magic. The Close gates shut at 10.30pm, but they conveniently provide a key in case you want to stay out longer. Breakfast was included and delicious - you dine in a communal area where you can be as friendly/chatty as you want with fellow visitors, or - if (like me) you're not a "morning person" - you can still sit quietly and enjoy your breakfast in peace. The staff were friendly and helpful, one was even apologetic that it took a minute for someone to answer the doorbell when we arrived (we thought nothing of it, but it was lovely for them to acknowledge that). Also, despite the religious backdrop, they are not in your face about it. Would gladly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area (also, try to stay in Salisbury more than 2 days, 1 night - it is a lovely place with terrific museums and surrounding sites beyond just Salisbury Cathedral and nearby Stonehenge).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DHP33
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed at Sarum College for 4 nights. I'd chosen the standard-type room option - it worked out great - there were several available bathrooms on my floor, and a separate shower room with private showers. The building had an elevator, and was nicely heated on chilly nights. My room had a sink, a comfy easy chair, a good-sized desk, and lovely huge windows. Very quiet at night.
Good breakfast buffet, friendly & helpful reception team, close to center of Salisbury (4 blocks from bus station). And a stunningly beautiful, 850-yr old cathedral, right across the lane!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Rocky River, Ohio
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Sarum College is a conference center on the cathedral close in Salisbury. Our room looked out at the cathedral. The rooms are spartan but comfortable, though the plumbing system is a bit noisy and you can't open the windows because pigeons might fly in! Though on the top floor, our room was reachable by elevator. The breakfast was very good and a great place to meet people from all over the world. Sarum College is close to the historic center of Salisbury with some great restaurants and shops. You have to be inside the close by 10:30 because the gates close, but that's a magical time to wander around the cathedral.

Room Tip: Contact them as early as possible.