“A heart of gold”

Ranked #14 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“A heart of gold”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The White horse hotel is a set of rooms on top of a lively pub. The landlord and staff have a heart of gold – very hospitable. The hotel is in the perfect spot only a few minutes from the center of Salisbury. The rooms are not plush, more like someones guest rooms. The pub downstairs was a non-issue for us, as it closed before we went to sleep. Everything worked, but I wonder, how they would have server breakfast, had we ordered it, as the pub was closed early on a sunday morning. We chose to have breakfast at a nearby cafe, which was not a bad choice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank peba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Singapore
Reviewed January 20, 2010

As a frequent business traveller this hotel offered all i needed. From the well kept rooms to the friendly, efficient and knowledgable staff, Would highly recommend to anyone requiring accommodation in the heart of this beautiful city.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank GrahamHollness
kent
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for a weekend away early october last year. We had such a nice time. The owner of the hotel was really charming and helpful as he helped us choose our siteseeing locations. The hotel itself was ideal for our weekend as it was very central to the city centre. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends and if around salisbury again would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank niknak246
Essex
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My girlfriend and I had came down to Salisbury to see family before Christmas, our first choice hotel recommended to us by friends was fully booked and so my girlfriend then chose the White Horse due to its location.
As we entered the hotel we received a very warm welcome from bar the manager (which we found out later was the landlord), he got us settled in the room straight away.
we found the landlord and all the staff were very efficient and provided a great service they had great knowlege of the area and pointed us to all the right places, that evening they booked my grilfriend and I into the nicest chinese i have ever been.

Altogether we had a wonderful weekend and thank goodness that the other hotel was fully booked.

Michael

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EssexMikeyB
Reviewed January 6, 2010

From reading the other reviews I thought that this hotel might be ok but it wasn't. The room wasn't clean bed sheets looked a bit shabby and maybe used before. Also we found that the shower didn't work properly in the morning and the water was cold after the few hours sleep I had this wasn't good. We were kept awake by the noisy heating and other people and strange noises around the inn. The only two good things about this hotel was the chap he was very friendly and the location. Sorry to say it but I won't be going again

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Xhamx

Travelers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Somerset
Reviewed December 18, 2007

After reading the reviews on this site I booked a room for 1 night as I was going out in Salisbury for a party.

I was checked in by the landlord, Tony, who was very friendly. He explained how to get in after the front door had been locked and also showed me where to park in the small car park behind the pub.

The hotel is only about 3 minutes walk from the city centre and very convenient for visiting Salisbury. I found my room to be clean, comfortable and well appointed with a fridge (with milk, yoghurt and fruit), digital TV and kettle. The bathroom was nice and clean with a modern shower.

I would definitely recommend staying here, especially as I paid £65 for a room, which was a lot less than other, less central hotels!

• Liked — Friendly reception and location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank RogerPJ
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 27, 2007

I stayed at the White Horse for an overnight stay as I travelled from London to Stonehenge and Salisbury, Bath and then on to Cornwall. The inn has a great location and is easily walkable to both the bus station and the train station. I did walk by the inn once or twice since the pub sign out front actually says "Wadworth" but it does have a white horse on the sign. Then I saw the "White Horse Inn" sign on the corner. Staff was most pleasant and helpful, but do keep in mind they are only available on a regular basis (always available for emergencies) when the pub (which is downstairs) is open. Rooms were simple, exceptionally clean and well maintained, quiet and spacious. Continental breakfast was nice and I liked the healthy options they provided. Salisbury Cathedral and the main restaurants are all within walking distance. A perfect place to stay for an overnight trip from London without breaking the bank. Hotel recommended a contemporary Indian restaurant, Anokaa, about a 7 minute walk away that was fantastic for dinner.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — odd back door exit after/before hours
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo