“Equivalent to saloon lodgings in the 'Wild West'”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Qudos Hotel

Qudos Hotel
Ranked #16 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Equivalent to saloon lodgings in the 'Wild West'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I booked this room via Laterooms.com as its description made it sound like a multiple star
hotel.

When I arrived it was a room over a pub. I had to walk into the pub
and to the bar to check in. The bartender asked me if I was Polish, which
was bizarre.

I already had deep misgivings and then when the manager appeared and showed me to the room, these feelings were validated. The room was above the bar and the music was plainly audible. When I complained, the manager started to try and tell me that this is a typical room in the UK.

It certainly is not typical and I resented him trying to spin it in his favour. When I told him I didn't want to stay there he said I was required to pay anyway.

I told him that the room description misrepresented it on Laterooms and he said he doesn't like doing business with Laterooms. It was already 10pm and I was alone. He said he could help me find another room elsewhere and since it was so late and as a woman alone, I felt I had no choice but to pay him the money and have him find me something. Normally I would have absolutely refused to pay.

He gave me 20 pounds off the 70 pound price as if he was doing me a favour. I had no choice but to go to the Red Lion, he said the 100 pound room was the only one available in town. The one night therefore cost me 150 pounds. Completely unfair and a very nasty experience.

The promotion for Qudos on the Laterooms.com website starts by saying the property is a “quintessential Victorian hotel that has been refurbished to a high standard”. It is rather a shabby pub with standard hotel rooms above it, which have no resemblance to anything Victorian.

It is the equivalent to staying above a saloon in the American Wild West of the 1800s, so perhaps that is what is meant by “quintessentially Victorian”.

In terms of safety and security, there is not even a barrier door at the top of the stairway from the bar leading to the rooms.

The Laterooms.com listing mentions music — however, it says nothing in the description about the music being audible in the guest rooms — one would expect most real hotels to have music, but not that it would be heard in the rooms.

I wrote a review for Laterooms.com, but at time of posting this it has not yet been published.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I have already spoken to Late Rooms about your complaint. It does quite clearly say on Late Rooms we have live music , very close to the top of the page. You checked in earlier than 10pm. As you decided you wanted to stay somewhere else, I spent a good period of time finding you another hotel. Salisbury was extremely busy that night , and the only room I could find for you was at the Red Lion. You offered to pay for the room here, and as you didn't cancel within 24 hours I was quite entitled to take the payment. I did offer you a discount. It was your choice to move hotels. I couldn't move your room in our venue as you were the last person to check in and we only have 11 rooms. The music performance was accoustic and finished at 11.00pm. The rooms are of a high standard. Late Rooms has nothing to do with this issue as they are the booking agent.

Alex Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I booked in to Quodos Salisbury for 4 nights in June 2014. The total amount for the 4 nights was taken from my account on arrival. My sister who had been on holiday in the area was ill in Salisbury General hospital. I was booked into the hotel which is rooms above a pub, by a pleasant young man who carried my case to the room. The hotel is very central in Salisbury and the bus to the hospital just round the corner. As I was spending most of the time at the hospital I didn't eat in the Quodos. I noted that the breakfast tables were nicely set. I met cleaning staff each morning who were also very pleasant. The room was comfortable and clean but perhaps the bathroom could do with some upgrading. At night I could hear music from the bar but it was not so loud as to disturb me.
I only stayed 2 nights as my sister was transferred back to Colchester. I was reimbursed by Quodos for the 2 nights I didn't stay without any problems. The money was returned to my account.
My only negative comment was about the back door which I had to use to leave the building in the mornings. The front door appeared inaccessible. Some building work was being done in the yard at the back door which made the area rather uneven. I'm sure this work will improve the yard at the back, but I would have preferred to leave by the front door.
I found my stay to be positive and would recommend the Quodos Salisbury for anyone requiring a stay in the centre of the town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jean B
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Many thanks for leaving a kind review, we are sorry you had to cut short your stay with us. We have now finished the rear courtyard, and and it has improved the entrance dramatically . We apologise for any inconvenience this caused during this essential work.

bournemouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The room was very dated and basic. There was no mirror by the dressing table and the bathroom was tiny, grimy and tatty. There was no bath and the shower was ancient and covered in lime scale. The cubicle door didn't close and was so rickety, felt like it was going to collapse. The toilet didn't flush properly and the hot tap didn't work.
Having said all this, the cost of the hotel is quite cheap for a central hotel in Salisbury. This hotel is fine for friends who just want somewhere to put their heads down for the night but most definitely not for a romantic break or if you like spending time in your room. The bar at the hotel is good and there is often a live band playing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank S H
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
We have taken on board your comments, and will be addressing the issues you have raised, we hope everything else was ok for you , and we thank you for taking time to leave a review

Travelers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We needed a comfortable room within easy walking distance of the cathedral for a concert in the evening, and that is exactly what we found at Qudos. We were given a very warm welcome, and when we asked for a quieter room as the first one offered was a bit noisy with some ventilation equipment outside the window, we were given an alternative which was perfect. The bed was very comfortable, and although small, as you would expect in a lovely old converted house, the bathroom was more than adequate. An added bonus was the lovely piano playing in the bar, performed by Jonny,a young, local musician.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Many thanks for taking time review the hotel, we always try to assist guests with any needs they may have and I am glad we were able to help you on this occasion . I shall pass your comments on to John our piano player on that night

Alex manager
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our room was clean spacious and peaceful, with all the facilities you'd expect. The bed was huge and comfortable, enabling a very good night's sleep. Despite being in the city centre, being three floors up and using the sliding double glazing seemed to shut any noise out that there may have been down on the street. We didn't eat there, but the price of the room represented excellent value, and we would come again if we stayed in Salisbury again.

Room Tip: Our lovely room was on the third floor, so you may want to ask for a room there.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Many thanks for taking time time to review our hotel, we are happy you enjoyed your stay

Alex manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Qudos Hotel is situated in central Salisbury and is in short walking distance of the Cathedral and the historical center of Salisbury. It was interesting to find that the first floor of Qudos is actually a pub: the rooms are located upstairs. Noise wasn't much of an issue, since I went to bed after the live music downstairs had ended (I believe it ended before 11pm). It's of course not exactly luxurious, but is reasonably clean and convenient. Lack of hot water was an issue in some of the reviews I had read, and I experienced this myself. Just fyi: the trick I found was to run the water for a long time before taking a shower (about 10 minutes should do it). Anyways, I feel that for the price it was a decent place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave a review , we are aware of the hot water issue , and we are investigating how we can overcome this with a new system hopefully

France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

We took into account the bad reviews, but decided to go for it, as a last minute decision. We were not disappointed. Room was clean, bathroom big, good shower. All the staff are lovely, we arrived too late to eat, but were given free "aperatifs" with our drinks, and pointed in the direction of other restaurants and a nearby Tesco.
We would go back, no hesitation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
alexmanager, Manager at Qudos Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave a kind review of our hotel we are glad you enjoyed your stay