“A homy place”

Ranked #7 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
puiseux en france
“A homy place”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I highly recommend Spire House. The owners are friendly and the place is furnished with taste. Breakfast is generous. The rooms on the back can be preferred to the ones on the street that can be noisy although with a beautiful view on the cathedral spire.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Thai first
San Francisco
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Spent one night at Spire House when we visited Stonehenge. Wish we could have stayed longer. We were greeted by John, who had great restaurant recommendations. The room was homey and charming. Loved the four-poster bed. Spire House is perfectly located just a block from the gate to the cathedral close. We enjoyed walking around as dusk fell.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here with my aunt and a close friend at the end of April.

We booked the triple room (three singles). There was plenty of room for the three of us and our suitcases (although getting them up three flights stairs was a long haul and tight squeeze!!!). The room was dog themed, with dog paintings and dogs on the cushions... We found the tackiness of it amusing, and I think that was the point, although some may not get the joke. The bathroom had plenty of room to move, and we were impressed that the toiletries provided were full sized.

Breakfast was an incredible treat! You could choose between eggs, porridge or home made pastries. Fresh tea, coffee and toast were also provided on request. All guests at the dining table, claimed that it was the best breakfast they had had in England!

The hosts were so bubbly and enthusiastic about Salisbury, pointing us to the best pubs and markets. They were also kind enough to give us some tips for London, as we were heading there next.

Another bonus was that they provided us with a parking permit, so that we didn't have to pay for or move our spot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night earlier this month on a stop-off from Chester to Devon (I wanted to see Stonehenge!).

We really liked this place. We arrived in the afternoon and were greeted by Lois who was very friendly and got us settled, showing us all the best places to eat and drink in town.

Lois ran through the breakfast choices with us when we arrived and we chose to opt in (it isn't included in the rate). Definitely worth doing this in my opinion! You get a choice and so you can opt for bacon & eggs if you wish but we went for porridge and fruit (we'd had bacon 3 days in a row at this point!). You have to order the porridge the night before as it's slow cooked over night - well worth the wait, it was delicious. On top of this there was tons of toast, fruit, jams, orange juice, tea, coffee - all served up by Lois's husband John!

The breakfast room itself is homely and cosy and we enjoyed sitting round the table in the morning chatting to the other guests.

The bedroom was lovely - view of the cathedral, four poster bed!, tea & coffee, biscuits, tv etc - all good. The only thing to consider is that the B&B is on a main road and you could hear the traffic from our front room and so a room in the back may suit if you are after absolute quiet (we didn't find the road an issue at all - but worth pointing out in case you are sensitive about such things).

The B&B is perfectly situated and it's only a 5 min walk into town. Parking wasn't a problem but we were there on a Monday and so I'd check to see if this becomes an issue on weekends (we parked directly opposite in a bay but there were limited spaces).

Overall we loved it and would definitely stay here again!

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi Matthew
That title really made me laugh. I call out to John 'hey come and have a look at this!' We are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us at Spire House and would certainly love to see you both again. With reference to the parking spaces, goodness Salisbury is getting very busy these days. We do have a huge car park available that is for residents and their guests (best kept secret in Salisbury) plus as I mentioned to the previous reviewer our parking permits can be used anywhere in Salisbury and I will be making a point to mentioning this to new guests. Thanks again for taking the time to keep our business going :)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at the Spire House for two nights. The proprietors were accomodating and extremely gregarious. We really enjoyed conversing with them, and they also knew several great places in town. The accomodations were exeptional, however (and this is NO fault of the owners) the parking was a little limited. Being in the center of the city you have to expect that sometimes. It was an easy walk to everywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back as it is on a busy street. We had a room in back and it was vary quiet. If yo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hi Kevin
Many thanks for the lovely review. John and I really feel that our business depends upon guests taking the time to write about Spire House. From what I read you enjoyed your stay with us, which is our number one priority. I was sorry to see you had a problem parking. I assume you parked in the residents car park rather than outside the house. I didn't realise you had a problem getting a space.Had I known this I would have explained the permit I gave you was good to be used anywhere in Salisbury. I have learnt from your review to mention this in option in future to other guests. Warmest Regards Lois
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed May 18, 2013

What a wonderful experience. Our best B&B/hotel room we've ever stayed in. My wife and I loved it. Spire House is located right where everything you want to see in Salisbury is located. John was a great host-wonderful breakfast. He recommended some great Pubs/restaurants.

And, when we decided we wanted to stay another day, (the room was already booked for that night) John got us hooked up with another B&B.

I highly, HIGHLY, recommend the Spire House if you are going to Salisbury.
Thanks John and Lois
Rich and Cathy Wright
Nebraska, USA.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and found it a delightful place to stay. John and Lois are perfect hosts. The room was very comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. The cathedral is right opposite and everything else is only two minutes away. Despite it being close to everything it was still very quiet at night. We would definitely stay here again as it is everything a good B&B should be.