“Salisbury's best kept secret” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cranes Wine Cafe - CLOSED

Cranes Wine Cafe
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Salisbury's best kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

A friend and I had her birthday meal here, she knows her wines and thought she could trip up the guy behind the bar, but no, he left her speechless, he knows his stuff. Food was beautiful, well presented and service was awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough, they make a special occasion really special.

1 Thank su1705
963JoannaW, Manager at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your review - its lovely to hear such glowing praise! I'm glad that your friend enjoyed her birthday and that we were able to make it special for her! Do come back again soon!

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

What a delight! I've lived in salisbury for many years and I feel this is its best kept secret.

The service from the minute we walked through the door was wonderful and a very warm welcome. The staff were very professional.

The wine selection as expected was excellent and the staff had fantastic knowledge on what would be best to try.

The food was exquisite.. Having eaten in many restaurants this is a 5* eatery. I would fully recommend and can not wait to return. The food is well worth the price and as they say 'you get what you pay for'

Bravo!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
963JoannaW, Owner at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Cranes and thank you very much for taking the time to share that with others! We aim to provide all our customers with friendly and efficient service and really good, tasty food and it's gratifying to hear that you received that. We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Poole, United Kingdom
“Crane's - a regular user's view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We go to Salisbury about every six weeks and have eaten at Crane's on the last 3 or 4 occasions.

The food is really good, competitively priced and the place offers a super overall experience. The wines offer value for money and the staff have always been attentive and helpful. Where some of the other negative comments come from astounds me as this has never been our experience and we will continue to make Crane's our restaurant of choice in Salisbury.

Someone else described it as an oasis and that is exactly what it is.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
963JoannaW, Manager at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you ever so much for your kind report and for your comments referring other reviews. I am delighted to hear that we are your restaurant of choice! Do come back soon and try our new menu too!
London, United Kingdom
“Arrogant Sommelier/Bar Man”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I visited Salisbury as part of our honeymoon. We tried a white wine from Sicily and asked the short bald man behind the bar about the wine, and whether this was a new grape variety.
His arrogance and distain in replying that actually, the name listed referred to the region in Sicily, truly shocked us. His whole attitude reminded us of a cocky Parisian waiter.
Like their website, distinctly average and hugely pretentious.

Shame that places like this still exist. Unsurprising that the atmosphere in the place was flat.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vicenzo B
AndyG69, Owner at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am always disappointed to read reviews where guests have not enjoyed their visit to Cranes and firstly I would like to say that I am really sorry that I offended you. I did not intend to appear arrogant and was simply answering your query.
I would like to say that I do take offence at being referred to as short and bald - if I was to refer to my customers in this way I would rapidly loose custom. It is unfortunate that you are able to annonymously say what you wish about a person without them having a real opportunity to defend themselves.
“Secret hideaway in centre of Salisbury”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We pooped in recently for a quick glass of wine after work. Not having visited before we were firstly amazed at how big it was inside as it goes right the way to the rear of the property and they have a lovely garden area for al fesco dining in the right weather.

We shared a lovely bottle of winea nd enjoyed the atmsohere. Although we did not eat on this occassion we will be returning soon as we thought the menu was good and relatively well priced. It was nice to visit something other than a pub.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. It is lovely to hear of people visiting just for drinks as it is one aspect of the cafe that we are keen to promote. As you say we are deceptively large offering a nice bar area, a conservatory and an attractive terrace garden. We do look forward to you returning for supper - we have just launched our auntumn menu so come and give it a try!