“Great room, great service, great food”
Review of Cranes Wine Cafe - CLOSED

Cranes Wine Cafe
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having visited Cranes several times now, most recently for a leisurely lunch, I have to say everything about it is superb. A beautifully appointed room, friendly and attentive staff, and an excellent menu, prepared to perfection. Lunch this last time, was a delightful take on a ploughmans, but elevated to something really quite special by the innovative picnic basket containing little, individual pots of goodies, presentation. I enjoyed this with a couple of bottles of a great local Salisbury brewery beer, followed by a real treat of three mini puddings (all of which were first class). I'll be returning often!!

AndyG69, Owner at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our picnic baskets! It is a lovely summery lunch item which gives diners the option to choose from duck rillettes, crayfish cocktail, tomato and mozzerella salad or a quail scotch egg alongside some other lovely items all presented in a wicker basket.

I look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Rudest patron ever! insisted taking my coat against my wishes,quoting he had to many claims against him for cleaning bill's....clearly has the wrong staff!
Now to the food ...my starter if you could see it was hot salmon on a piece of rock hard toast depressingly bland. Scallops as a main where 3 scallops in individual shell on top of a minuscule amount of tired salad with a teaspoon of bacon.As you can imagine I was still very hungry.
My husbands food started off better with one little fish cake for his starter...but his main of lamb was totally undercooked and full of sinew.
The worst was still to come as he spent the early hours of the morning being spent in the bathroom.we won't be returning to this restaurant again.

6  Thank Icelolly7

It is always disappointing to encounter diners who did not get the positive experience that we strive for at Cranes and for that I am regretful. We regard offering to take people coats as good service and we do operate a rigorous coat policy. This not only avoids occasional unfortunate spillages but is also a safety precaution for customers (and particularly for staff) as in poor weather 30 coats on the back of chairs is a serious trip hazard and is unsightly.

Thus far our menu has been extremely well received and I apologise that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. We have had no other complaints from that extremely busy evening and I can only offer apologies that you feel you would not return and assure others that this is most unusual.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Atmosphere is divine. The food is the most scrumptious in Salisbury. Prices are of fantastic value and the service is of a very high standard, what more could you ask for?

1  Thank Bradley45
AndyG69, Owner at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thanks for such a positive review! Your comments are exactly what we are striving to achieve - good atmosphere, food and service at a realistic price. Its wonderful to hear that our customers are pleased!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We visited, as a group of 8, on a busy Saturday evening when the restaurant was more or less full. The bar area was a very comfortable meeting area and the whole restaurant was fresh and well presented. The large conservatory area added to the lightness of the room but also meant that it was a little too warm Staff were attentive and well on top of serving despite the numbers. Menu was extensive and food well presented and tasty.

1  Thank Colin F

Thank you for recommending your good experience to others! I will remind staff to open the windows if it feels too warm! I hope that you return to eat again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Even on a very busy Friday night the service was excellent, the menu looked fantastic, the food arrived quickly and was amazing. The atmosphere in Cranes was vibrant and everyone in the wine bar looked to be having just as good a night as we were. We managed to save room for the trio of desserts to share and they were delicious. All in all a wonderful evening and we will be going back very soon to sample the new menu!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us so much. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Friday nights are one of our busiest and we usually have a nice mix of people dining and those just visiting for drinks. We have started our new menu this week so do come in again soon!