“Best Italian in Town”

Leonardo's La Piazza
Ranked #9 of 271 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Leonardo's La Piazza we specialize in pizza, pasta and risottos, as well as rustic a la carte dishes including fresh fish, chicken, veal and lamb and of course British fillet steak. All our food is freshly made and our pizzas can be customized to suit your taste. We are located in the heart of Salisbury, on Oatmeal Row (access from the Market Place). We are allergen aware, offer gluten free options and have recently been awarded the prestigious 5* rating with the Department of Health.
“Best Italian in Town”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Having been to just about all the restaurants in Salisbury we still prefer to eat at Leonardo's. Sometimes you may have to wait a short time to be seated at you table whilst other diners finish their meal, but this is a small inconvenience when you know how good your own meal is going to be. The starters and main courses were of a very high standard and if you get past those and manage a sweet then you are in for a real treat. All are made fresh every day by the owner and should not be missed. We will definitely be returning here again.

“Fabulous Italian Food”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We had a 3 course meal for 2 with an excellent bottle of red and enjoyed every bit of it. The starters of scallops and King Prawns were fantastic. Both well presented and extremely tasty. The batter on the prawns was light and crispy and the scallops were cooked to perfection. Our main courses of veal in wild mushroom sauce and duck breast in pink peppercorn sauce didn't disappoint either. Both were well presented, with good portion size and came accompanied by perfectly cooked vegetables. We finished with a creme brûlée and a blackcurrant sorbet both of which were a match for the rest of the meal. And the bottle of sicilian red...nero I think...was a great accompaniment.

This was our first visit and we shall certainly return. It wasn't cheap but neither did it break the bank at £92...the food was definitely worth it.

wales
“Awesome!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

First class food, service and value, no more to be said!
Would be the first port of call when in Salisbury again, you lucky people to have this terrific restaurant on your doorstep!

“Gosh - how wonderful”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

From walking into the door you are immediately transported to a better place. The service is attentive but not disruptive, the food a delicate mixture traditional dishes and then some that just push a little to then explode with delight upon eating. We arrived on a whim, but are now converted to become true regulars. The starters were delightful and the wine was just chilled how we like it and a jug of water without asking is such a good idea. It was a tough job but after two different options of Veal dishes - melt in your mouth, thin, cooked just so and locally sourced we were forced to share a Creme Brulee with two spoons. I dont like Creme Brulee but was immediately converted. The walking out to the beautiful market square with lights, bars opens and gentle chatter - what a sight - wonderful.xx

1 Thank Salisburychick
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“When in Salisbury…this is a must”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Pure Italian dining, better than most in London and so many within Italy itself!

I'm no longer allowed to review my favourite restaurants in Italy as too much time has passed so the only thing I will say is that Leonardo's is second best to that alone… Check out my map to see a few of the places I've visited/lived in, of course it doesn't reflect all... who has time for that? What I do have time for is a good review where it's deserved and Leonardo's is definitely the best Italian in Salisbury, if not the best all-around restaurant.

This is the only one amongst a sea of many trying to get it right who actually does it (almost) perfect! Not yet 5 star dining or AA/Michelin status…not even sure if they aim for that as there is such an unpretentious and comfortable atmosphere about the place… yet at the same time it has excellent manners and form. I think it is deserving of some kind of rating - the food is so good!!

Some of the dishes are definitely different to what you would find in Italy, but in a good way and with a passionate chef who uses 100% fresh ingredients and who obviously knows what tastes amazing… you can't really go wrong with what you order here. Haven't had the chance to try one of their sumptuous fillet steaks yet, but soon will!

On the first visit back in January we arrived without a booking, early as we had an after dinner engagement to attend (which we let our server know) and the timings were perfect for starters and mains. On subsequent visits where I've not had the time constraint, their homemade desserts are not to be missed!

Last week we opted for the specials and had a delicious smoked chicken risotto (I know, not something you would normally find in Italy at all) and veal T-bone with Zingara sauce that was just about to die for… This is fresh home cooking at finest and although I have a few qualms with some items on the menu, purely because I'm a bit snobbish about my Italian food, I am never disappointed.

I have tried a few different pasta/risotto and veal/poultry dishes which have all been fantastic… the menu is lovely and varied, it's almost like reading a short history of many traditional Italian dishes using both local/Italian ingredients where possible with a contemporary twist on tradition at times too…yet not so modern that you barely get any food. Definitely good value for money.

I am a seafood addict so of course wish they had more choice for seafood mains (they currently offer only two, but sometimes have specials). I guess the reason they don't is because, well… Salisbury is not exactly a seaside town now is it? The mussels and seafood pasta/risotto as well as gamberoni are better than some I've had sitting right on the shore though - many places in Italy included, and if you prefer it (like I do) with less or no tomato, just ask.

Maybe my memory is fading, but the Pizza is actually better than those 2 distant pizzas I once had in Naples, and in many other establishments throughout at least 6 different regions of Italy.

Sometimes the food service can be a bit slow if we're really going to critically analyse everything about the place, but it is my belief that people come here mostly for an evening experience and spend hours relaxing over appropriate pauses between courses etc. (just like in Italy, but with better service all around and can't believe it's available in Salisbury at all) If that's your cup of tea then this is the place to eat…

Service is exceptional, though as mentioned it can be quite hectic during peak hours so give them a bit of a break, enjoy the conversation and music and if you are in a rush let them know beforehand…

Book well in advance and for a table upstairs if they have the availability, although with nicer weather it's lovely to eat outside in Salisbury's market square. Great location.

Thank you to all and can't wait for my next Italian fix!!

2 Thank AlternativEnglish