“Great Sunday Lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
somerset
“Great Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A really good home cooked Sunday lunch in a very relaxed atmosphere, landlord is very welcoming and cheerful and staff are very pleasant too, great selection of meats and veg ( just like your mother used to make) , We have never booked so would be prepared to wait but have always received quick service. Would definitely recommend this place great value for money.

Bicester, United Kingdom
“BAD”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

the pub was empty on our arrival not a good sign for a Saturday night ! on ordering a bottled beer I had to ask for a glass ! a table had been reserved for a Birthday party, 11 covers not the most taxing night for any chef as that was all the custom in the pub however one missed starter after a 30 minute wait set the scene for a disappointing meal experience the mains then took a similar length of time to materialise the first being delivered some ten minutes before the rest appeared from the kitchen most were overcooked and tepid the kitchen even managed to get a plough mans wrong! one of our party found part of a cleaning cloth in their meal! I would recommend avoiding this place if you don't like being sworn at if you complain I feel sorry for the waiting staff who did nothing but apologise for the cooks errors, omissions and foul additions

2 Thank Mark B
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We go to this little pub often for family meals, and normally we have a good time, we love the relaxed feel and friendly staff and great food value for money.
The above is why I picked the horse and groom to celebrate my 30th birthday with my family.
We booked a table for 12 people for the 2nd nov @7pm, 3 weeks in advance, plenty of notice. Nice warm welcome from the bar staff and boss topped up my drink!
8 of us ordered starters, (mains were ordered at same time)we got 7 starters, waitress offered to make up another but my M guest declined. Starters weren't best presented but were very tasty! Once finished starters & plates were cleared. We waited about 30/45 mins for our mains to arrive. One waitress served our mains, she apologised for the wait which was good, but sadly some of the meals were cold by the time we got them, and some of the steaks were over done. tho an offer again was made to replace the cold ones by the waitress, we were to hungry to wait any longer.
One of my guests found a long peace of string in her dinner, which we gave to he boss, who informed us it was part of a dish cloth (information we didn't really what to know) there was no sorry, but a replacement meal was offered, which my D guest accepted. Once most of us finished our mains D received theirs, again the waitress was very sorry, and we were ok and understanding that things happen.
Then the boss/landlord came over and asked us "why the f*^k were the waitress saying sorry when they have nothing tobe sorry for?" (his words) we were all a little surprised the he had just sworn as well as being confused about his question, and some of my guests may have been alittle sarcastic with there replays, but it was clear that this boss/landlord had been drinking. And he asked us for our feedback and what had gone wrong, which when I replied he seamed to argue with my guests and I who had all experienced the same. He tired to offer us discount on our next meal, but my guests weren't all local and so that didn't really work. In the end my dad asked for a meal discount, which we got £50 off our food bill which didn't come easy.

Tbh, the waitress was doing a excellent job and doing her best, showing she cared, even tho things weren't in our favour, she more than likely would have saved the night if her boss/landlord hadn't come over swearing, and cursing his staff, telling us how amazing the food is and arguing about our comments even tho he asked for the feedback.

They weren't even busy, there was two tables of 2 and one table of 4 when we arrived at 7, no more customers arrived to eat after.

Really disappointing!

2 Thank Elsmith83
London, United Kingdom
“The best food in the area by far!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Having dined at The Horse & Groom several times recently, I can honestly say that this has to be the best eatery in the area. The quality of food and service is second to none and the prices are very good, always a warm welcome from the staff and the Landlord is extremely pleasant and hands on, very accommodating.
I have taken family and clients here and have not been disappointed, this is now my firm favourite in place to eat in Salisbury.
The restaurant is lovely and I think it has been recently refurbished. The Sunday Calvary is something not to be missed, and as another reviewer mentioned Real Roast Potatoes! a real rarity these days and yes they really are amazing.
I have eaten at lots of restaurants/Pubs In Salisbury and can sincerely say this is the best by far!

• Visited October 2013
Bristol
“Fabbbbbbbbbbbbb traditional food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Passed this pub by accident, and stopped. OMGggggggggggg, the food was so lovely. We had Sunday lunch and there were realllllllllllllll roast potatoes with your Sunday lunch Carvery. The chef gave us loads of meats and we could serve ourselves to vegetables and potatoes :) Really, a lovely, lovely meal. My only down side as 2 large dogs, albeit old and well behaved, wandering around.

• Visited September 2013