“Lovely provincial theatre - Restaurant disorganised”

Salisbury Playhouse
Ranked #8 of 78 things to do in Salisbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Salisbury Playhouse is one of Britain's leading producing theatres and a registered arts & educational charity. It has a national reputation for home-grown work of the highest quality that attracts audiences from across Wiltshire, Hampshire, Dorset and beyond. It is part of Arts Council England's National Portfolio of Organisations (NPO) and also receives regular funding from Wiltshire Council and Salisbury City Council. The building comprises the 517-seat Main House, the 149-seat Salberg, a purpose-built Rehearsal Room and Community & Education Space. There is also an on-site scenery workshop, wardrobe and props store. In addition to producing our own productions and welcoming the UK's leading touring companies, the extensive Take Part programme engages with more than 14,000 people of all ages each year through a of wide range of creative learning, schools, community and youth theatre activities. We also have a cafe and bar open Mon - Fri from 9.30Am - 5.30Pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Was staying with friends locally and we visited the theatre for the production of 'On Golden Pond', which could not be faulted. My host had called in a week before and booked their 'meal deal' meal+show. The restaurant couldn't find the booking and the young girl kept on asking my host if she could have booked under a different name!! As she explained although we are all in the late spring of our lives she was not quite that gaga!! However they rescued the situation by squeezing in another table (if we had been more than three in our party, this would have been hard work.) The food was good, although the drinks took a little while to arrive. There seemed to be a lot of staff, with no specific area of responsibility which led to confusion. We all had dessert and my host ordered a coffee FOUR times (You must remember that we were up against the deadline of the show starting.) The coffee finally arrived just minutes before we had to leave, needless to say most of it did not get drunk. This apart and my host has spoken to the management, this is a lovely intimate theatre and should be well supported.

All reviews
"in house restaurant"
"front row seats"
"fantastic play"

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Fantastic regional theatre which runs a variety of performances during the Salisbury Festival. Great seats for Quercus on Saturday 30th for only £17.50 and he service in the restaurant beforehand was fantastic given the limited time we had left after the disaster at the Mill - see other review. Would definitely return to this theatre and combine it with the meal deal they offer.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is everything you could dream of in a city theatre. The seating is well-laid-out, very comfortable, and the stage is always visible.
There are two theatres, in fact - the smaller theatre offers a quite intimate setting for two-hander plays, or cabaret performances. The larger theatre offers highly professional acting and productions, which are well-supported.
the ice-creams are really delicious!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

A modern theatre with, I believe, two stages I went to see the two man show My Perfect Mind in the Salberg Studio. A small intimate studio including a small gallery I would guess there is seating for about 150 people surrounding the stage area which is level with the audience.

The space is small enough that no microphones or speakers were necessary for us all to share every moment of Edward Petherbridge's acting tour de force. The man is a genius.

Facilities outside were excellent including a fine upstairs restaurant and a café in the atrium. Parking is a doddle and I believe accessibility is good. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't believe I paid less than one third of the price I would have when it's on in London

See more reviews
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I went to the theatre last Saturday night the 16th of march. I saw Joking apart. It was a wonderful akerman comedy and I had a very enjoyable time there. There is a restaurant at the playhouse. I did not go there but I hear that bookings are advisable. They playhouse services has a cafe and bar open before performances. When I went there were a lot of people in the foyer because some locals said that many people come in before going to the council rooms for other performances, so if you like that sort of atmosphere it is well worth a visit.