“Lovely traditional pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to go out for some dinner on a sunny Wednesday evening. We decided onThe Black Horse at Durnford because we had only been in once many years ago. We had a very enjoyable meal in this very atmospheric pub and the Landlord was very friendly and welcoming. The menu was very varied and interesting. We shall visit again.

1  Thank barbara t

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I had lunch and were most pleasantly surprised! We had driven into the Woodford Valley to go to one of the other more popular pubs, but it was very busy so we diverted to here. I am glad we did, there was a warm welcome from the new hosts. The menu was not extensive but it contained enough dishes that there should be something for everyone. I had a ham ciabatta, which had lovely thick slices of home cooked ham that had been smothered in a dark sticky sweet coating (mesquite?) - it was delicious. My husband had the chicken burger, which was a whole chicken breast accompanied by a large portion of chips and home made coleslaw. We washed this down with Kronenburg which was distinctly better than the last time we frequented about a year ago! Happy diners!

2  Thank Karen R
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is our local pub a great little Village pub in Great Durnford, nestled in the Woodford valley, approx 4 miles from Amesbury and 8 miles to Salisbury.
Mark and Sue are very welcoming, the menu is small but good quality and well priced. Mixture of local and passing customers. Dogs and Children welcome. There is a beer garden and children's play area.

5  Thank Wybos
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Under new landlords the Black Horse is an altogether more friendly pub. The food is high quality, home cooked, pub grub and really competitively priced. The landlord and landlady are friendly and accommodating and I hope the pub will flourish under their ownership. Give it a try - I think it will soon be a real competitor to the bistro pubs on the other side of the river and hopefully won't lose its pub-ness in the process.

1  Thank 411David
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is alongside an alternative, and, I suspect, older route out of Salisbury that runs alongside beautiful water meadows in a tranquil valley. There are a number of place to eat and drink along this valley but, as the Black Horse advertises itself, this is the only "pub".

The Black Boy is a genuine, unspoilt traditional public house that serves excellent food at a reasonable price. A range of superb real ales and ciders together with the ambience make this place a must visit place.

There is plenty of parking and the pub is child friendly. We visit with friends on numerous occasions whilst on holiday in the are and we can't wait to go back there next year.