“Surprisingly good fun”

Boscombe Down Aviation Collection
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Salisbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Whether you're a serious aviation enthusiast or a kid who wants to sit in fast jet cockpits, this is for you! Please note - We are at Old Sarum Airfield - NOT at the Boscombe Down airfield.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We visited the collection today with my Husband, 6 year old son and 10 year old daughter and all had a lot of fun climbing in and out of the cock-pits playing with all the various controls and switches. I wasn't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised by how long we were kept busy for (2-3hrs). Don't expect the finished article (it's clearly a work in progress) but the enthusiasm and knowledge of the volunteers was brilliant and they were great with explaining stuff to the kids and helping them into the planes.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"great fun"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wether you are into aviation or not this was a fantastic experience for me and my grandchildren. We were guided around by a knoweledgable retired gentleman who had worked at oscombe Down and could add stories to the information provided. My grandchildren like the fact that they could climb into cockpits and the instrument lights were on, they thought it was great.

stevemhall, Member at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you to everyone who has made the effort to leave these fantastic comments and ratings on Tripadvisor recently - It has made all the hard work by the entirely volunteer staff over the past year worth it!

Things are constantly changing so come back and see us again - and tell your friends!

Thanks again!

Steve

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It was my wife's suprise birthday present; the staff were wonderful, really made her day! She is a fan of Harrier jump jets so being able to sit in one was a real treat.

1  Thank DavyWiltshire
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We've just spent a fantastic couple of hours with 6 five year old boys clambering in and out of a fantastic selection of aircraft and cockpits - my father-in-law and I also managed to act like big kids too...

Most of the aircraft/cockpits are open to the public and you can climb in to live out your fighter pilot fantasies without ever leaving the ground. The boys absolutely loved it !

The staff were all very friendly, willing to offer nuggets of information on the aircraft and show you how things worked.

The working airfield outside had planes taking off and landing during the afternoon and parachutists landing in the field on the other side as a spectacular finale to the afternoon.

I'm going to have to visit again in the future without all the kids to spend longer looking at all the bits we missed today.

Thanks to everyone who made us so welcome.